Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Kansas City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-15-2017, 07:36 PM

404 posts, read 457,148 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by twan2001 View Post
Geez, 8 days later you guys are still bickering back and forth about city living vs suburban living. It sounds to me like the OP made her decision days ago and she chose the city... You know, the entire point of this thread. I'm just glad that she chose to move to the metro and is looking to add to our tax base and population.

Can we stop with the bickering because we are embarrassing ourselves in front of our new resident?
Wah, cry me a river. There is only one person on this thread that started the bickering when she put down city living while others gave both city and suburban options. But now you have come here made things worse even though you think you are some goody two shoes moderator. Congrats.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-15-2017, 07:58 PM

13,721 posts, read 19,258,895 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brooksider2brooklyn View Post
Wah, cry me a river. There is only one person on this thread that started the bickering when she put down city living while others gave both city and suburban options. But now you have come here made things worse even though you think you are some goody two shoes moderator. Congrats.
Um, no I didn't start any bickering and no I did not put down city living. And others were not really giving suburban options, only urban. I said that it doesn't really make sense for the OP to live downtown if she is working in Olathe, and that I think she will come to see that is true. Others took offense to my saying that because I wasn't promoting urban KC like good little Kansas Citians are supposed to. So if you want to get technical, those who took offense were the ones who started bickering. The posts speak for themselves.

Old 03-15-2017, 09:55 PM

11,108 posts, read 23,888,805 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by twan2001 View Post
Geez, 8 days later you guys are still bickering back and forth about city living vs suburban living. It sounds to me like the OP made her decision days ago and she chose the city... You know, the entire point of this thread. I'm just glad that she chose to move to the metro and is looking to add to our tax base and population.

Can we stop with the bickering because we are embarrassing ourselves in front of our new resident?
I don't know. This thread is not that bad. I read threads in many different cities and this thread is generally just fine. There is some bias from both sides, but that's what internet forums are for. Otherwise, nobody would post anything. At least the KC forum has some passionate posters that will reply to people. You can post that question in many forums and get no responses.

I spent a good 30 minutes making the post about many of the different towers for the OP to check out. You would think that even if the OP was not interested, the info might come in handy for others. I guess my time and effort is worthless because I don't live in the city? Where are the local posters from KCMO? Most of the good posts about urban kcmo are from well informed members that don't live there. Without them, the KC forum would be dead and worthless.

luzianne is more than welcome to post a similar posts about specific properties in JoCo that might appeal to the OP and I would welcome it. I would never argue with a post like that.

All I said was that affluent people in their 50's are one of the primary demographics that are driving all this luxury urban residential development. Regardless of what she likes or what her friends like.

At the same there, there are some nice places in JoCo as well. It just depends on what the person is looking for.

Old 03-16-2017, 12:57 AM

7,940 posts, read 9,497,233 times
So why should the OP's question even spark an argument at all? kcmo - your post was pretty much the best one in this thread - just the facts, ma'am. Affluent 50-somethings are driving downtown KC, MO, development.

Tell us something different now. Oh, that's right. A lot of this depends on where a person works. They don't want to live far from their work. Got it. I can dig that logic.

Old 03-16-2017, 06:24 AM

1,328 posts, read 1,462,479 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by luzianne View Post
Um, no I didn't start any bickering and no I did not put down city living. And others were not really giving suburban options, only urban. I said that it doesn't really make sense for the OP to live downtown if she is working in Olathe, and that I think she will come to see that is true. Others took offense to my saying that because I wasn't promoting urban KC like good little Kansas Citians are supposed to. So if you want to get technical, those who took offense were the ones who started bickering. The posts speak for themselves.
The problem is this: In order to recommend living in or near Olathe, you had to ignore several of the OP's requests. You also had to make one or more unsubstantiated assumptions about her, based on her demographic profile.

Anyone who wants to recommend an alternative to others' ideas is welcome to do so, of course. But in doing so, one should also admit to having to disregard some of the OP's wishes in the process.

Old 03-16-2017, 09:50 AM

654 posts, read 631,347 times
Some extremely valid reasons why a 50 something single person might want to live downtown in a high rise.

- No yard work
- No working on house maintenance
- Close proximity to walk to attractions and activities rather than drive
- If one does partake in alcohol, no need to worry about checkpoints or Uber surges
- Closer to the airport than Johnson county for travel
- KC's downtown is not so dense that owning a car is a hassle, so if you want to drive to the suburbs that still is an option.
- Similar demographics nearby. So many people in Olathe especially are 30-45 and have kids at home.

I think I am talking myself into looking for something downtown!

Old 03-16-2017, 11:02 AM

1,970 posts, read 2,236,076 times
I'll add one nonpartisan comment here...

Downtown is actually an easier and quicker commute albeit three miles more distant to Olathe than a similar commute from the Plaza. The Plaza is not near I-35, and this fact means that the OP's commute would include either Ward Parkway or Shawnee Mission Parkway for many miles.

However, 24 miles each way every day might grow stale. I wouldn't do it even with KC's notoriously light traffic. For $2500, many houses in southern JoCo would be available for rent. Not an urban experience, but OP could certainly find peace and quiet. Beware the train tracks -- BNSF runs a lot of freight through Olathe. Good idea to get a short-term apartment lease in the beginning.

KCMO downtown is not terribly loud compared to, say, NYC, but there are no residential buildings tall enough to get above the street noise (in other cities when you get above the 50th floor, all you hear is wind noise). Working on the 28th floor, I am frequently surprised at how much street noise I nonetheless hear in KC.

Old 03-16-2017, 01:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rwiksell View Post
The problem is this: In order to recommend living in or near Olathe, you had to ignore several of the OP's requests. You also had to make one or more unsubstantiated assumptions about her, based on her demographic profile.

Anyone who wants to recommend an alternative to others' ideas is welcome to do so, of course. But in doing so, one should also admit to having to disregard some of the OP's wishes in the process.
No, I think others ignored some of the requests. OP said she wants quiet and is not into partying. What is Power & Light? PARTYING. NOT QUIET. Yet, people suggested that area. The OP didn't originally state she wanted a highrise. She mentioned that in later posts. And the reason she wanted that is so it would be QUIET because she thought a highrise would have concrete walls. I didn't get the sense, at least in her original posts, that she was looking for urban living.

So, taking into account that she wants quiet and is not going to be partying, and she works in Olathe, I suggested that she look near Olathe because she can have quiet, no partying, and be close to work. And she can easily drive to urban KC when she wants to go to Nelson-Atkins or whatever.

Old 03-16-2017, 01:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by westender View Post
I'll add one nonpartisan comment here...

Downtown is actually an easier and quicker commute albeit three miles more distant to Olathe than a similar commute from the Plaza. The Plaza is not near I-35, and this fact means that the OP's commute would include either Ward Parkway or Shawnee Mission Parkway for many miles.

However, 24 miles each way every day might grow stale. I wouldn't do it even with KC's notoriously light traffic. For $2500, many houses in southern JoCo would be available for rent. Not an urban experience, but OP could certainly find peace and quiet. Beware the train tracks -- BNSF runs a lot of freight through Olathe. Good idea to get a short-term apartment lease in the beginning.

KCMO downtown is not terribly loud compared to, say, NYC, but there are no residential buildings tall enough to get above the street noise (in other cities when you get above the 50th floor, all you hear is wind noise). Working on the 28th floor, I am frequently surprised at how much street noise I nonetheless hear in KC.
Thank you. This is the points I was trying to make.

Last edited by luzianne; 03-16-2017 at 02:03 PM..

Old 03-16-2017, 07:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by luzianne View Post
Thank you. This is the points I was trying to make.

Ugh. I edited and messed up my sentence. Make that: These are the points I was trying to make.

Last edited by luzianne; 03-16-2017 at 07:53 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Kansas City