Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Kansas City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-07-2017, 10:11 PM

6 posts, read 7,474 times

Advertisements

Hello. i am relocating to Olathe, Kansas for a job. i'm in my 50s, no kids, no pets, single female and have a $2500 per month housing allowance. I dont mind commuting 30 min each way but would prefer an apartment to start learning the area. I prefer quieter apartments since my job in healthcare requires long shifts. High speed internet is a must. Google search produces results in Kansas City MO such as One Light apartments but little in Kansas proper. Any suggestions? Thank you in advance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-08-2017, 08:07 AM

Hello all. I'm having difficulty finding apartments in a city setting close to my relo. Any recommendations from MO folks? I am concerned abt tax implications if i live in MO and work in KS. MO downtown seems to be thriving. Thank you.

Old 03-08-2017, 09:12 AM

7 posts, read 14,973 times
The only tax implication would be if you live or work in KCMO you pay a 1% city tax. Are you wanting to live in the city? 30 min to Olathe could be doable. Depends on where in olathe you are working.

Old 03-08-2017, 11:24 AM

Thank you nickelob. I wouldnt mind living in the city. I enjoy walking, museums, the arts, etc. I certainly dont want to spend an hour in traffic each way but 30 min is fine. I'm hoping for suggestions based on your experience or those of friends as to which apartments I should visit. I'm too old for the party scence but value a good night of sleep. Personally, I prefer high rises because apartments in many states over 5 stories tend to have concrete walls rather than sheetrock btw units. Thank you again.

Old 03-08-2017, 01:02 PM

1,328 posts, read 1,462,071 times
It definitely sounds like you're going to want a place somewhere in the River-to-Plaza corridor. Everything within that corridor is easily less than 30 minutes to Olathe, particularly because it's a "reverse commute".

$2500 is an extremely generous housing allowance in Kansas City. Basically, the city is your oyster at that level. If you want a high-rise that's relatively quiet, with lots of culture nearby, your best bet might be the Plaza area.

Old 03-08-2017, 02:05 PM

13,721 posts, read 19,254,280 times
If you are too old for the party scene and want a quiet apartment, may I suggest that you look for an apartment in the Olathe or southern Overland Park area? That way you live close to work and when you want to visit the city, you can easily drive there.

If you were young and worked downtown or were interested in Power & Light (bars), then living downtown might make sense. Since you are older and quiet and not looking for parties and working in Olathe, I think Johnson County would suit you better. There is also very low crime.

There are lots of very nice apartments in southern Johnson County. If you will be working at Olathe Medical Center, The Sovereign or Arium apartments in south Overland Park are brand new and would be an easy commute.

Also, Stonepost at 138th and Pflumm isn't brand new, but from what I hear has very good ratings and is in a nice area. I can post more if you like.

If you live in Missouri and work in Kansas or vice versa, you have to file taxes for both states. Usually you will get a refund from one state and have to pay taxes to the other.

Last edited by luzianne; 03-08-2017 at 02:18 PM..

Old 03-08-2017, 02:35 PM

Luzianne gives good advice here, but I think it's a bit narrow to group all urban-dwellers into the "party scene". It is also incorrect to pretend that the Power & Light district (or the Loop generally) is the only urban option. This is why I recommended considering the Plaza. The high-rises there (particularly those on the south side of Brush Creek) are not likely going to be occupied by partiers.

One should also consider the OP's desire to live in a building with concrete walls, which does not tend to be true of buildings under 5 stories. Very, very few apartment buildings in Johnson County are over 5 stories.

Old 03-08-2017, 03:21 PM

13,721 posts, read 19,254,280 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rwiksell View Post
Luzianne gives good advice here, but I think it's a bit narrow to group all urban-dwellers into the "party scene". It is also incorrect to pretend that the Power & Light district (or the Loop generally) is the only urban option. This is why I recommended considering the Plaza. The high-rises there (particularly those on the south side of Brush Creek) are not likely going to be occupied by partiers.

One should also consider the OP's desire to live in a building with concrete walls, which does not tend to be true of buildings under 5 stories. Very, very few apartment buildings in Johnson County are over 5 stories.
The OP is in her 50s and wants quiet and, I would assume, low crime. She is working in Olathe. I bet if/when she visits the area, she will quickly realize that Johnson County is where she wants to be, not urban KC on the Missouri side.

Old 03-08-2017, 04:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by luzianne View Post
The OP is in her 50s and wants quiet and, I would assume, low crime. She is working in Olathe. I bet if/when she visits the area, she will quickly realize that Johnson County is where she wants to be, not urban KC on the Missouri side.
You may be right, but the key word here is "assume". Let's base our advice on her actual stated criteria, not on the assumptions one can make by profiling her age, gender and marital status.

If it helps, I highly recommend she take a serious look at both.

Old 03-08-2017, 05:06 PM

709 posts, read 1,492,510 times
Let's try looking at the criteria the poster actually gave:

Quote:
Originally Posted by jubilee1914 View Post
I enjoy walking, museums, the arts, etc. I certainly dont want to spend an hour in traffic each way but 30 min is fine. Personally, I prefer high rises because apartments in many states over 5 stories tend to have concrete walls rather than sheetrock btw units.
All of those criteria match the city, not Johnson County.

There are plenty of people 50 and older living Downtown and the Plaza. Empty nesters are one of the largest demographics for downtown residents.

I would suggest looking at the Power and Light Building - the historic tower. It is made very solidly out of concrete, so I assume it would be great. It looks like it has great amenities, too.

On the Plaza, I would look at some buildings that are condos, but also have some units for rent by the owners. Maybe a building like the Hemingway could have something that would be a good fit.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Kansas City