Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Kansas City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-29-2009, 09:13 AM

37,409 posts, read 53,543,435 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by kcmo View Post
I love how StLouis people always think they play second fiddle to Chicago. That always cracks me up. It's not 1910 anymore. StL is practically a twin to KC compared to Chicago. There is no comparison between StL and Chicago. Sports rivalries?, sure. But that's it. StL is not in some Chicago shadow.
Agreed. I lived in Chicago before KC, and from our perspective, KC and STL were considered pretty much on equal playing field, really pretty much twins. Neither outshone the other from the outsider perspective. Now that I live here, I find KC more interesting that STL, myself, but I didn't have either one mentally higher than the other before I left IL.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-30-2009, 05:13 PM

72,971 posts, read 62,554,457 times
I know KCMO has jazz, barbecue, and 3 major league sports(Royals, Chiefs, Wizards(soccer) )
and yes I consider the MLS to be a major league sport.
I know that KCMO barbecue is unique because it involved almost anything that can move(that is what I learned from a TV show about regional barbecue). With that said, I don't know much further. What else is there.

Old 03-30-2009, 08:13 PM

1,117 posts, read 2,925,582 times
MLS is nowhere close to a Major sport. Soccer is not very popular in the US and I am not sure if it will ever reach major status.

Old 03-31-2009, 12:52 AM

886 posts, read 2,225,081 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brickmama View Post
MLS is nowhere close to a Major sport. Soccer is not very popular in the US and I am not sure if it will ever reach major status.
thats just ignorant... the most popular sport in the world and you say its not a major sport LOL...

Old 03-31-2009, 10:47 AM

5,765 posts, read 10,995,839 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brickmama View Post

Considering that it is the only league in the US that isnt having a decline in ticket sales during the recession I would beg to differ. Over half the teams set records for season ticket sales this season. Many teams in the NFL, NBA, MLB, and NHL are having major declines and it is said that almost half the NHL is in jeopardy because of it and a handful of NBA teams as well.

Owners are lining up for expansion teams and the expansion team fee has gone from 10 million to 40 million in less than 5 years.

Up until last season (two teams in temporary venues led to a decline), MLS has increased their attendance every single season since 1997. They have had increased sponsorship, TV deals, and revenue as well.

MLS has pretty much surpassed the NHL and is quickly gaining on the NBA to take the #3 spot in terms of popularity in the US.

Do some research before posting ignorant crap like that.

Old 03-31-2009, 11:23 AM

11,108 posts, read 23,871,538 times
Saint Louis wants a team bad too. It's major league, I would put it right with the NHL as far as general interest from the public.

KC needs to get the new soccer stadium built though. There is a story in today's paper about that.

Wizards ownership looks to future with soccer-specific stadium and retail development - Kansas City Star (http://www.kansascity.com/business/story/1115060.html - broken link)

http://www.worldstadiums.com/stadium_menu/past_future/pictures/future_stadiums/kansas_city_wizards.jpg (broken link)

Old 03-31-2009, 11:41 AM

72,971 posts, read 62,554,457 times
I would like to see a soccer game in KC. As much is that is true, I want to here about something else. KC was rated the 4th most underrated city in the USA. There has to be a reason. I have never been there so I don't much about it. I know jazz and barbecue are there. I want to here about more. I need to know more. It was called "Paris of the Plains". There are fountains here.

Old 03-31-2009, 11:43 AM

Quote:
Saint Louis wants a team bad too. It's major league, I would put it right with the NHL as far as general interest from the public.

KC needs to get the new soccer stadium built though. There is a story in today's paper about that.

Wizards ownership looks to future with soccer-specific stadium and retail development - Kansas City Star (http://www.kansascity.com/business/story/1115060.html - broken link)

That article has been refutted slighly by the Wizards ownership. The demolition is not behind at all, it is actually right on schedule and the article also hints that their are things holding up the project.

As of right now, there is nothing holding up anything and everything is right on schedule.

Of course with a billion dollar project things can happen but as of right now, everything is going on as planned and the stadium is set to be open for home opener in 2011.

Old 03-31-2009, 11:46 AM

2,153 posts, read 5,536,261 times
Quote:

That's a bad a-- looking stadium

Edit: I guess I looked at your post incorrectly. That isn't the stadium they are building is it?

Old 03-31-2009, 11:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pirate_lafitte View Post
I would like to see a soccer game in KC. As much is that is true, I want to here about something else. KC was rated the 4th most underrated city in the USA. There has to be a reason. I have never been there so I don't much about it. I know jazz and barbecue are there. I want to here about more. I need to know more. It was called "Paris of the Plains". There are fountains here.

I am not sure exactly what the article is meaning but from my opinion, these are the things people would likely be surprised about KC:

Fountains and other art - we have the most fountains of any city in the world. We also have many building that are world famous in the art community

Restaurants - we have a lot more than just BBQ here. We have a lot of restaurants including JJs which has one of the largest wine selections in the world.

Friendliness of people - people here are very friendly and accommodating

Amusement Parks - we have two large amusement parks in Worlds of Fun and Oceans of Fun along with a Coco Keys and a new water park opening this summer

Shopping Districts - we have lots of very nice shopping districts in the Plaza, Legends, Zona Rosa, and more

Museums - we have Nelson Atkins, Liberty Memorial, Steamboat Arabia, Union Station's Science City, and several other museums.

There is a lot more and things keeping on coming. I think many people would be pleasantly surprised when coming here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Kansas City