U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Kansas City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-18-2017, 07:26 PM

5,507 posts, read 5,193,713 times

Advertisements

It seems that the Bushwacker's War of 1861 just can't come to an end, eh?

Old 03-18-2017, 08:10 PM

12,635 posts, read 14,665,086 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elkotronics View Post
It seems that the Bushwacker's War of 1861 just can't come to an end, eh?
Well, since this and about every other thread referring to Kansas/Johnson County is created for the purpose of bashing Kansas/Johnson County, I guess not. As long as they create bashing threads, I will respond.

Last edited by luzianne; 03-18-2017 at 08:45 PM..

Old 03-18-2017, 09:21 PM

It's really weird for someone like myself, though. I was born in Seattle, raised in a small suburb of Seattle named Edmonds, WA. I got a job in Lenexa and found a rental in Grandview that accepts pets. We have two dogs and two cats.

Anyhow, I come here unpretentiously. I don't favor Kansas or Missouri. I see good and bad in both sides of the state. I see bad things about Seattle. Two of them: crazy high real estate prices and nasty traffic jams. Kansas City traffic moves along everywhere...It just has some rolling slowdowns here and there.

But it has been a real eye-opener coming here to the city-data KC threads. It is teaching me about history. And how people can be so feisty. And how they remember. How they listen to their Grandparents and parents and... how they keep a nasty war alive in a region. When that war really should be old news. Dried up. Gone. Forgotten.

Old 03-19-2017, 02:47 AM

7,693 posts, read 5,669,898 times
Quote:
It's really weird for someone like myself, though. I was born in Seattle, raised in a small suburb of Seattle named Edmonds, WA. I got a job in Lenexa and found a rental in Grandview that accepts pets. We have two dogs and two cats.

Anyhow, I come here unpretentiously. I don't favor Kansas or Missouri. I see good and bad in both sides of the state. I see bad things about Seattle. Two of them: crazy high real estate prices and nasty traffic jams. Kansas City traffic moves along everywhere...It just has some rolling slowdowns here and there.

But it has been a real eye-opener coming here to the city-data KC threads. It is teaching me about history. And how people can be so feisty. And how they remember. How they listen to their Grandparents and parents and... how they keep a nasty war alive in a region. When that war really should be old news. Dried up. Gone. Forgotten.
And it is....for the overwhelming majority.

From your experience, wouldn't you agree that the "nasty war" that is not only permitted, but nurtured, in this forum does not reflect day-to-day real life in the KC area? The "nasty war" is long over, except in the imaginations of an afflicted very few.

A half dozen eccentrics have found a vehicle here in which to grind their Kansas-loathing axes. But the overwhelming majority happily enjoy what the KC area has to offer while paying minimal attention to the state line.

So these threads are anything but eye-openers. To real life in the KC metro, that is. From your day-to-day experience, trust what your eyes and ears tell you about that.

Old 03-19-2017, 07:27 AM

1,298 posts, read 989,567 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by luzianne View Post
Sounds like a bunch of petty complaints (the name of the place - REALLY?) just to put down KCK. Um, Prairie Fire at 135th in OP and Prairie Fire downtown KCK. I'm guessing built by the same people and thus the same name. Were you aware there is a Prairie Fire development in KCMO too? https://prairiefiredg.com/project/cp-lofts/ Are you going to call that stupid too?.
I am a Marketing professional. So yes, I pay attention to the names of products, companies, developments, etc. Names matter.

And no, they are not built by the same people. Prairiefire in OP and Prairie Fire in downtown KCK are unrelated. And the KCMO project you linked me to is called CP Lofts. It is developed by Prairie Fire, the same company developing the KCK project. They can develop in any state they want. But it would have been silly to give a project in Missouri the name "Prairie ______" since Kansas now apparently owns that word.

Quote:
Not everyone likes urban living. Less dense/more open space makes sense to me.
No, but some people do. So that means that some places should have urban living. And some suburban. I've always advocated a balance. Do you agree with that?

Quote:
So The Legends seems to me to be thriving.
Is someone claiming otherwise? I didn't see it.

Old 03-19-2017, 08:14 AM

Quote:
No, my parents and grandparents never talked about any war to me. And they lived on the Missouri side anyway. I was born in Missouri. It has nothing to do with that. For me, it's the attitude of KCMO boosters against the Kansas side.

Old 03-19-2017, 08:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rwiksell View Post
I am a Marketing professional. So yes, I pay attention to the names of products, companies, developments, etc. Names matter.

And no, they are not built by the same people. Prairiefire in OP and Prairie Fire in downtown KCK are unrelated. And the KCMO project you linked me to is called CP Lofts. It is developed by Prairie Fire, the same company developing the KCK project. They can develop in any state they want. But it would have been silly to give a project in Missouri the name "Prairie ______" since Kansas now apparently owns that word.

So if you have a problem with a development in Kansas being named "prairie," take it up with the MISSOURI-based company that named the development, the development company named PRAIRIE FIRE DEVELOPMENT. Kind of a stupid thing to start a thread about, especially since it's a Missouri company with "Prairie" in its name. I guess Missouri owns that word since the development company is a Missouri company.

Yes, I have seen many, many threads where The Legends was criticized, most notably by kcmo. So to see it thriving makes me happy.

Old 03-19-2017, 09:14 AM

No, my parents and grandparents never talked about any war to me. And they lived on the Missouri side anyway. I was born in Missouri. It has nothing to do with that. For me, it's the attitude of KCMO boosters against the Kansas side.

Yes, I have seen many, many threads where The Legends was criticized, most notably by kcmo. So to see it thriving makes me happy.

So, luzianne, you are carrying on just like the Bushwackers did back in 1861. The spirit lives on! You are taking sides. Have at it - as a new student of KC you guys are teaching me more about the area I live in. In a humorous manner, too.

Old 03-19-2017, 09:19 AM

And it is....for the overwhelming majority.

From your experience, wouldn't you agree that the "nasty war" that is not only permitted, but nurtured, in this forum does not reflect day-to-day real life in the KC area? The "nasty war" is long over, except in the imaginations of an afflicted very few.

A half dozen eccentrics have found a vehicle here in which to grind their Kansas-loathing axes. But the overwhelming majority happily enjoy what the KC area has to offer while paying minimal attention to the state line.

So these threads are anything but eye-openers. To real life in the KC metro, that is. From your day-to-day experience, trust what your eyes and ears tell you about that.

CrownVic95 - yes, I see what you mean. And no, I didn't mean to imply that this was bothering me about how I look at Kansas City. I am starting to really like KC as my wife and I stay here. We're seriously thinking about buying a house here - probably in Shawnee, Overland Park or Merriam. Just to name a few Johnson County examples that are gaining value year over year.

We could buy more house for our money here in Grandview or Belton but the commute would be a tad longer. So we'll relocate to Johnson County if we do buy a house.

And my eyes and ears are telling me that the Kansas City Metro is a good place to be - full of life and opportunity. And the area has a lot of offer. My wife and I are grateful to be here in the KC Metro.

Old 03-19-2017, 09:42 AM

Quote:

So, luzianne, you are carrying on just like the Bushwackers did back in 1861. The spirit lives on! You are taking sides. Have at it - as a new student of KC you guys are teaching me more about the area I live in. In a humorous manner, too.
Not really. It has nothing to do with 1861 and would be the same if I lived in any bi-state city where some continually create threads to put down the other side.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Kansas City
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or