U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Kansas City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-12-2017, 06:39 AM

1,298 posts, read 983,604 times

Advertisements

Proposal for first new multifamily housing construction ‘in forever’ for downtown KCK

OK, so a new multi-family residential development in downtown Kansas City Kansas is definitely a good sign. But does every new project in the state of Kansas have to include the word "Prairie"? This whole state pride thing looks extra funny when the project is mere blocks from the state line, and the area could not be less "Kansas-like".

Also, does the term "agrihood" sound ridiculous to anyone else?

Old 03-12-2017, 09:52 AM

402 posts, read 300,330 times
Looks like a bad excuse for building low density in an urban area. That looks ridiculous but par for the course for kck.

Old 03-12-2017, 12:49 PM

290 posts, read 230,173 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rwiksell View Post
Proposal for first new multifamily housing construction ‘in forever’ for downtown KCK

OK, so a new multi-family residential development in downtown Kansas City Kansas is definitely a good sign. But does every new project in the state of Kansas have to include the word "Prairie"? This whole state pride thing looks extra funny when the project is mere blocks from the state line, and the area could not be less "Kansas-like".

It's hard, really. KCK is dysfunctional regarding urban core redevelopment. Supposedly Village West money is finally entering the older part of the city. I may not be a fan of this proposal per se, but I welcome the development.

Old 03-13-2017, 09:04 PM

10,705 posts, read 18,498,983 times
Quote:

I see lots of surface parking lots, farm fields, just open grassy areas and a few townhomes. It's about as urban as what's there now, which looks almost rural in the foreground.

Come on KCK.

Old 03-14-2017, 06:43 AM

1,298 posts, read 983,604 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kcmo View Post
I see lots of surface parking lots, farm fields, just open grassy areas and a few townhomes. It's about as urban as what's there now, which looks almost rural in the foreground.

Come on KCK.
I agree with you, but seriously... What's the alternative right now? Even though we can make fun of the way they name things, you can't really argue with anyone doing something productive in downtown KCK.

Maybe if they were mowing down massive segments of the urban fabric to put in a Walmart, I would complain. But even then, it would be nice to see someone giving a flip about the area.

Old 03-14-2017, 07:45 AM

10,705 posts, read 18,498,983 times
Quote:
I agree with you, but seriously... What's the alternative right now? Even though we can make fun of the way they name things, you can't really argue with anyone doing something productive in downtown KCK.

Maybe if they were mowing down massive segments of the urban fabric to put in a Walmart, I would complain. But even then, it would be nice to see someone giving a flip about the area.
You are right, something is better than nothing. I just don't get KCK at all. They are spending hundreds of millions of dollars as sprawl and almost nothing has happened anywhere in the urban core in decades. I mean yea, it's a poor city, but come on, there are pockets of KCK such as strawberry hill that should have developers tripping all over themselves right now to redevelop it for the views of KCMO alone. Look at what's going on along Troost or Beacon Hill in KCMO.

A few townhouses is better than empty lots, but I can't think of many cities out there that have dropped the ball as much as KCK has. All their eggs are in the Village West basket. They have basically sealed their fate by not leveraging some of that opportunity and the use of STAR bonds for a bunch of suburban/rural sprawl.

And yea, the name is dumb, but this is not a large development by any stretch. Even if it's built out, it just won't amount to much. It covers a lot of area, but its impact will be minimal. So the name won't mean much.

Downtown KCK could be a very cool place if Kansas or Kansans in general gave a **** about it. Kansas = Johnson County. That's it. Just 1 or 2 percent of the subsidized office space in JoCo would turn around downtown KCK. I still can not comprehend the waste involved in building the EPA a custom building in downtown KCK only for them to move to a far flung area of Lenexa. The KC EPA is the only location that's not in an urban transit friendly sustainable area. Go figure.

Old 03-14-2017, 04:19 PM

8,798 posts, read 9,623,537 times
I think there has been a little bit of sibling rivalry between the downtown and western wyco. The downtown seems abandoned. I think the curse of the Pylons lives on.

Old 03-17-2017, 11:40 AM

78 posts, read 84,324 times
Im from Kansas City,KS. Still live here, but man oh man how I want to leave. I remember joking with a friend just how bizarre KCK can be. One part can be very urban and some parts even remind me of a tiny L.A. Then there are other parts where its just super country like you're several miles away from a big city. I remember going out to western KCK to play baseball in my youth in the 1990s. There was nothing out there by 435, until the speedway was built and everything changed after that. Urban KCK, besides the KU MED center area, is very depressing. Downtown looks like its stuck in the 60s, at most.
KCK had great potential to be a greater city, but ball was dropped. They did get Sporting KC which is cool though lol. Other than that there is not much to KCK, besides the good mexican food.

Old 03-17-2017, 01:02 PM

402 posts, read 300,330 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kcmo View Post
I still can not comprehend the waste involved in building the EPA a custom building in downtown KCK only for them to move to a far flung area of Lenexa. The KC EPA is the only location that's not in an urban transit friendly sustainable area. Go figure.
Haha, and that EPA building will be empty soon too thanks to Trump supporters. Make all of America as messed up as Kansas!

Old 03-18-2017, 04:55 PM

12,607 posts, read 14,613,304 times
Sounds like a bunch of petty complaints (the name of the place - REALLY?) just to put down KCK. Um, Prairie Fire at 135th in OP and Prairie Fire downtown KCK. I'm guessing built by the same people and thus the same name. Were you aware there is a Prairie Fire development in KCMO too? https://prairiefiredg.com/project/cp-lofts/ Are you going to call that stupid too?

Not everyone likes urban living. Less dense/more open space makes sense to me.

And about KCK - I have been to The Legends before for Sporting KC games, to go to NFM, and to eat. I had never gone to any of the stores there. Last night I did and I have to say, it was very nice and quite pleasant surroundings. I will definitely shop there again. And the parking lot was full. People were circling around and around waiting for parking spots. So The Legends seems to me to be thriving.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Kansas City
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or