Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Kansas City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-30-2016, 07:39 PM

14 posts, read 14,073 times

Advertisements

My wife and I have been living in Southern California for a long time. We're ready to leave the state. Being politically conservative we have felt out of place here. My wife can get a transfer to Overland Park, so we've decided to make the move next spring.

We don't know anyone in the area, and don't know anything about the area either. We do not have kids, probably too late now anyway. But we do want to know the good areas to live and the areas to avoid. Our budget is ideally under 450k, otherwise we'll need a mortgage which would be a bummer.

Any recommendations? Areas to avoid?

Is there anyplace near by to snow ski, Or water ski? Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-30-2016, 09:32 PM

Overland Park is in Kansas right? Why'd this get moved to Missouri?

Old 09-30-2016, 10:27 PM

11,108 posts, read 23,693,095 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deacon_Blues View Post
Overland Park is in Kansas right? Why'd this get moved to Missouri?
Because OP is a suburb within the Kansas City metro area which is based in Missouri.

Quote:
My wife and I have been living in Southern California for a long time. We're ready to leave the state. Being politically conservative we have felt out of place here. My wife can get a transfer to Overland Park, so we've decided to make the move next spring.

We don't know anyone in the area, and don't know anything about the area either. We do not have kids, probably too late now anyway. But we do want to know the good areas to live and the areas to avoid. Our budget is ideally under 450k, otherwise we'll need a mortgage which would be a bummer.

In that price point, you are going to be in a very nice area, typically south of 435.

Skiing? LoL. The only think in the KC region is Snow Creek in Westin, MO (about 45-60 min from OP), which actually is not a bad place at all to do some skiing without having to go to Colorado, especially if they have some good cold weather and natural snow. I have always said one of the best things about KC is that it's one of the closest large metros to the Rockies Mountains and ski resorts there. It's still a haul, but you can easily drive to Vail, Breckenridge, Winter Park, etc for a long weekend. You can also fly, but then you have to deal with airports, renting a car, ski gear etc. Throw the gear in the SUV and you can be at world class ski resort in 9 hours.

Old 10-01-2016, 05:16 AM

377 posts, read 564,024 times
Were you living in OC? Overland Park would be a solid analog to Irvine or Aliso Viejo, if so, though without the topography. Still, is OP your only choice? If you're after outdoor recreation, as KCMO said, this region is pretty paltry compared to SoCal (I lived in Laguna Beach/Dana Point/Ventura most of my life). Would a place like Colorado Springs be an option? It's more conservative than most of Colorado and puts you in the midst of lots of rec opportunities.

Otherwise, yeah, be ready to drive 9 hours if you want anything more than a water ski on the Lake of the Ozarks.

Old 10-01-2016, 08:56 AM

1,328 posts, read 1,442,681 times
Quote:

How far is your wife willing to commute? There are a ton of a great options in that price range, within a 20-minute drive of Overland Park. Some are in Kansas, and some are in Missouri.

It would also be helpful to know where in Overland Park her job is located. It's a very large suburb, with job centers spread out across 10 miles or so from north to south, and about 5 miles from east to west.

Old 10-01-2016, 12:04 PM

My wife drives 35-40 minutes every day to work now, and she hates it. She wants a maximum of ten to fifteen minutes drive in OP. She's also never driven in snow or ice conditions, so she's a little nervous about that. Her office is just south of the 435 and very close to Leawood.

Leawood actually seems like a nice place. We've also seen some nice areas just north of the 435 but I read somewhere to stay south of the loop, which we aren't sure why.

Old 10-01-2016, 01:27 PM

1,328 posts, read 1,442,681 times
Quote:
My wife drives 35-40 minutes every day to work now, and she hates it. She wants a maximum of ten to fifteen minutes drive in OP. She's also never driven in snow or ice conditions, so she's a little nervous about that. Her office is just south of the 435 and very close to Leawood.

Leawood actually seems like a nice place. We've also seen some nice areas just north of the 435 but I read somewhere to stay south of the loop, which we aren't sure why.
Of course you have. But unless you've got school districts to consider (which apparently you don't) there is no reason to exclude either side of 435, or either side of the state line, for that matter.

A 15-minute commute will give you anything in Leawood city limits, Overland Park city limits, and pretty much all of Northeastern Johnson County (Mission Hills, etc). Nothing in these municipalities should be automatically ruled out for you; it's all very nice.

But you also have wonderful options in Missouri. The South Plaza / Brookside neighborhoods are some of the most sought-after in the metro, and they are about 15-minutes away. Give or take a few minutes. And if your wife doesn't mind a freeway commute, Lee's Summit is worth a look. Although rush hour traffic will be worse in this scenario, and that might make the drive longer than she would care for.

Above all, make sure people tell you the why behind their advice. It's often based merely on preference, loyalty, rumor, or bias.

Old 10-01-2016, 01:29 PM

13,721 posts, read 19,117,142 times
South Leawood and south Overland Park are very nice. South of 435 is more upscale, with newer houses. That's where you want to be.

You can get a lot for $450,000. Go to reeceandnichols.com and you can search by map, zip code, subdivision, city, etc. Then come and visit and see for yourself.

Johnson County in general and Leawood and Overland Park in particular are quick to clear the roads when there is snow and ice.

People here will try to sway you toward Missouri. They don't like that Missouri is supposed to be the "core" city, yet so many people prefer to live in the suburbs on the Kansas side. If your wife is working in Leawood, there is no reason to live on the Missouri side. Anyplace on the Missouri side near Leawood is not going to be as nice as Leawood. Just stick with Leawood/south Overland Park and you'll be fine.

Old 10-01-2016, 02:04 PM

11,108 posts, read 23,693,095 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by luzianne View Post
South Leawood and south Overland Park are very nice. South of 435 is more upscale, with newer houses. That's where you want to be.

You can get a lot for $450,000. Go to reeceandnichols.com and you can search by map, zip code, subdivision, city, etc. Then come and visit and see for yourself.

Johnson County in general and Leawood and Overland Park in particular are quick to clear the roads when there is snow and ice.

People here will try to sway you toward Missouri. They don't like that Missouri is supposed to be the "core" city, yet so many people prefer to live in the suburbs on the Kansas side. If your wife is working in Leawood, there is no reason to live on the Missouri side. Anyplace on the Missouri side near Leawood is not going to be as nice as Leawood. Just stick with Leawood/south Overland Park and you'll be fine.
I agree with you. May as well live in Kansas as it sounds like the person wants a more suburban area and the nice suburban areas in Missouri will be too far away.

However, you have to be kidding me on the MO side near KS not being as nice. The Ward Parkway corridor is extremely nice, I think it's nicer than ANYTHING in Kansas including Mission Hills (which is very nice). Now south of 435 the homes are more expensive on the Kansas side if that's what you meant. There are some nice areas on the MO side with very expensive homes south of 435 near state line, but in general, the KS side in that area is much more affluent than the MO side.

Old 10-01-2016, 02:35 PM

13,721 posts, read 19,117,142 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kcmo View Post
I agree with you. May as well live in Kansas as it sounds like the person wants a more suburban area and the nice suburban areas in Missouri will be too far away.

However, you have to be kidding me on the MO side near KS not being as nice. The Ward Parkway corridor is extremely nice, I think it's nicer than ANYTHING in Kansas including Mission Hills (which is very nice). Now south of 435 the homes are more expensive on the Kansas side if that's what you meant. There are some nice areas on the MO side with very expensive homes south of 435 near state line, but in general, the KS side in that area is much more affluent than the MO side.
Yes, I meant south of 435, the Kansas side is much nicer than the Missouri side. Mission Hills/Ward Parkway didn't even come to mind because I figured if the OP's wife is working in Leawood that it would just make sense to live there since it sounds like it fits what they are looking for.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Kansas City