U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Kansas City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-19-2017, 08:00 PM

831 posts, read 788,345 times

Advertisements

Hey! My wife, 4 year old and I will be traveling from the twin cities down to KCK for 4 days. While I have traveled to the area before, it was pre child and I was at a different stage in life, but I'm mildly familiar with the area. We are staying with my wife's childhood friend, who has 2 young children. This is to say, we'll need some good family friendly ideas for things to do. Our host seems to be stressing over not having enough for us to do, even though we reassured her we are easy to please.

Good family friendly ideas? We tend to skew moldy hipster, like good coffee shops, restaurants, outdoorsy things. The ideas don't need to be revolutionary, could be as simple as... A really cool park, or a sweet shopping node with cool antique stores, or whatever. Thanks for the insights, trying to take some stress off the host!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-19-2017, 11:44 PM

10,705 posts, read 18,516,721 times
Touristy stuff your kid might like:

KC Zoo
Kaleidoscope
Science City
Legoland Discovery Center
Sealife KC Aquarium
Fritz Railroad Restaurant
T-Rex Cafe
Paradise Park
Deanna Rose Children's Farmstead
Ride the streetcar

Places to go just as a family:

County Club Plaza (just walk around on a nice afternoon)
River Market on a Saturday morning
Take a tour of the city on the double decker bus
Walk around Union Station, make sure to go out back and walk across the bridge to see the trains and walk out front to the fountain
Nelson Atkins Sculpture park
Walk around Loose Park
Walk around JC Nichols fountain and Mill Creek Park
Visit Downtown Parkville
Eat some good bbq in an urban area of the city (to get the full kc bbq experience) Jack Stack, W39, Gates etc
Go to top of Liberty Memorial (WW! museum likely too much for the 4 year old, but can do just the observation tower)
Lots of eclectic places to dine, shop etc in Westport, W39th and Crossroads Districts

There are lots more things to do. Check out the stick thread on top of the KC forum.

Last edited by kcmo; 03-19-2017 at 11:58 PM..

Old 03-20-2017, 08:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kcmo View Post
Touristy stuff your kid might like:

KC Zoo
Kaleidoscope
Science City
Legoland Discovery Center
Sealife KC Aquarium
Fritz Railroad Restaurant
T-Rex Cafe
Paradise Park
Deanna Rose Children's Farmstead
Ride the streetcar

Places to go just as a family:

County Club Plaza (just walk around on a nice afternoon)
River Market on a Saturday morning
Take a tour of the city on the double decker bus
Walk around Union Station, make sure to go out back and walk across the bridge to see the trains and walk out front to the fountain
Nelson Atkins Sculpture park
Walk around Loose Park
Walk around JC Nichols fountain and Mill Creek Park
Visit Downtown Parkville
Eat some good bbq in an urban area of the city (to get the full kc bbq experience) Jack Stack, W39, Gates etc
Go to top of Liberty Memorial (WW! museum likely too much for the 4 year old, but can do just the observation tower)
Lots of eclectic places to dine, shop etc in Westport, W39th and Crossroads Districts

There are lots more things to do. Check out the stick thread on top of the KC forum.
Thank you for this, exactly what I needed!!!

Old 03-21-2017, 11:16 PM

146 posts, read 101,649 times
If you're there on a Saturday you must check out the City Market.
The streetcar runs from the City Market (2nd & Grand) to Union Station/Crown Center.
90% of KC's family-friendly attractions are on that route.

Old 03-22-2017, 09:07 AM

26 posts, read 46,148 times
Be aware that the sweet 16 basketball tournament is in town this weekend. There will be a lot of people in the downtown area.

Old 03-22-2017, 08:01 PM

12,610 posts, read 14,626,937 times
Where in KCK will you be staying?

Old 03-22-2017, 09:27 PM

35,821 posts, read 39,409,007 times
Depends on when you are here. Deanna Rose Children's Farmstead is nice for that age group, but it doesn't open for the season till April. When my sister and her family visited earlier this year, since it wasn't open, we took the little kids to the Lakeside Nature Center in Swope Park, which is free, small enough to be a manageable trip and has wildlife exhibits geared to that age. My kid is even younger, and loves the Nelson-Atkins and sculpture park, the Kauffman Memorial Garden (both free), Overland Park Arboretum (free for children 5-under, $3 for adults).

Old 04-20-2017, 09:49 AM

Just wanted to pop in and say thanks for all the great responses, many of which we used!!! I always love going to KC (this was the first time with a child). They have tons of high end coffee shops to feed our addiction, and I swear housing and coffee were literally half the price of the Twin Cities. We drank plenty of sub $3 lattes, and our host told us his house (near the original OK Joe's) was purchased for $89K in 2013, blew my mind!

An interesting observation that I noted, my host agreed, had to do with city vs suburbs. In the Twin Cities, if you want to live in the city proper, you can, but you'll pay 2x as much as the burbs, and it'll be half the size with twice the property taxes. In other words, financially speaking you are heavily penalized when you choose to live in the city core. But KC seemed the opposite. It costs more to live in the high end suburbs; living in the city core could be had at a discount. This fascinated me. Am I wrong in my assessment?

Thanks again for helping an out of towner with suggestions.

Old 04-20-2017, 10:46 AM

35,821 posts, read 39,409,007 times
You're opening a core v. suburbs debate, here, that is nearly guaranteed to get unreadable contentious due to a longstanding history of backbiting between core boosters and suburb boosters who rehash this multiple times weekly. So, I'l attempt to get thoughts in before the inevitable bicker fest starts.

Your observation is both on-base and off, depending on where in the core versus where in the suburbs. Some core neighborhoods are upscale and less affordable than some middle-class suburbs, and there are certainly upscale suburban neighborhoods that outshine various core neighborhoods. The "discount" areas of the city core are the more run-down parts, and those that are in the earlier stages of gentrifying but remain adjacent to neighborhoods notably not there, yet.

Super-inexpensive parts of the city proper tend to be the higher crime areas, as should come as no surprise. Currently, too, issues with the quality of one of the urban public school districts serving the core makes it more likely to be less attractive to families with school-age children.

There are also bistate issues that factor in, depending what state the suburbs fall in.

Old 04-20-2017, 11:26 AM

677 posts, read 1,147,214 times
Yep, TabulaRasa is pretty spot on.

You can't really say anything universally about housing costs in the city vs suburbs as both areas have a very wide range of housing stock and prices.

The most expensive areas when it comes to the amount of house for the money are in the city. Pretty much anywhere west of Troost in the city will cost you more per square foot than the average suburb and the most desirable neighborhoods in the city are the priciest spots in the metro per square foot

However, overall cost might not be much different. For example, in the Brookside neighborhood, people will pay $300k+ for a small 3 bed 1 bath bungalow with no finished basement or garage, while $300k in most burbs will get you 4 bed, 2.5 bath, finished basement, 2 car garage, larger lot, etc.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Kansas City
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or