Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Kansas City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-15-2017, 07:09 PM

639 posts, read 766,051 times

Advertisements

I tried to find the thread already established for the Hyatt but can't find it, so have started a new thread, please merge if it can be done. My question is that it's been almost two years since a new Hyatt was announced, May 2015. What is the status on it? I guess the same question could be asked of the old Fed Bank that's to become an Embassy Suites.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-15-2017, 07:15 PM

127 posts, read 131,883 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by twan2001 View Post
Final (I think but hope not) Blueprints of the Hyatt Medical center (Convention Hotel) were released today. Disappointing but i guess we'll all have to deal with it...
I guess they just said "Screw the pedestrian experience"

Shovels should be in the ground sometime before June.

Old 03-15-2017, 07:38 PM

404 posts, read 456,755 times
It's in the kc construction thread, the best thread on the kc forum and the only real reason I come here! Search function is your friend! That's a pretty ugly design. Stubby and boring. Kc doesn't get sexy new towers though. It's not that kind of city.

Old 03-15-2017, 07:58 PM

127 posts, read 131,883 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brooksider2brooklyn View Post
hat's a pretty ugly design. Stubby and boring. Kc doesn't get sexy new towers though. It's not that kind of city.
Yet

Old 03-15-2017, 10:12 PM

11,108 posts, read 23,871,538 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by twan2001 View Post
Yet
The only way KC starts to see "sexy" high profile towers go up would be for out of town developers to notice KC and go there. KC just does not have the local developers to pull off projects like that and has not had such a developer since the Morgan empire went down. (responsible for most of the 1980's building boom).

Stan Durwood of AMC was the last businessman in KC to really have dreams to build up KC. After he died, one of the most "KCMO" proud companies in the history of the city took tens of millions of Kansas cash and bolted for Leawood.

KC no longer has anybody that dreams big. You never see renderings or proposals like the Kansas City Place Development, original Power and Light plans or even the old Sailors project near the Plaza. Even today's P&L district would not be there today if it were not for Durwood's many years of trying to make it happen.

If it was not for Mayor Barnes bringing Cordish to KC, the city wouldn't even that development going on.

Hopefully you are right. Now that things are finally starting to happen and thousands of new units are going up, out of town developers are starting to come to KC. Nearly all of the new apartments being built in the city right now are from out of town developers and eventually KC has got to get noticed by the same big tower developers that have gone to Nashville, Austin, Charlotte, Denver etc.

One HUGE problem in KC though. Very few downtown jobs for the size of the city and still very little interest by the business community to invest in the city on a large scale. You would think that eventually they will want to be a part of the huge urban revival going on in KC, but sadly, very few companies have chosen to move back to the city in KC and unless that changes, this downtown residential boom going on will be short lived.

Old 03-25-2017, 11:15 PM

71 posts, read 79,800 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kcmo View Post
The only way KC starts to see "sexy" high profile towers go up would be for out of town developers to notice KC and go there. KC just does not have the local developers to pull off projects like that and has not had such a developer since the Morgan empire went down. (responsible for most of the 1980's building boom).

Stan Durwood of AMC was the last businessman in KC to really have dreams to build up KC. After he died, one of the most "KCMO" proud companies in the history of the city took tens of millions of Kansas cash and bolted for Leawood.

KC no longer has anybody that dreams big. You never see renderings or proposals like the Kansas City Place Development, original Power and Light plans or even the old Sailors project near the Plaza. Even today's P&L district would not be there today if it were not for Durwood's many years of trying to make it happen.

If it was not for Mayor Barnes bringing Cordish to KC, the city wouldn't even that development going on.

Hopefully you are right. Now that things are finally starting to happen and thousands of new units are going up, out of town developers are starting to come to KC. Nearly all of the new apartments being built in the city right now are from out of town developers and eventually KC has got to get noticed by the same big tower developers that have gone to Nashville, Austin, Charlotte, Denver etc.

One HUGE problem in KC though. Very few downtown jobs for the size of the city and still very little interest by the business community to invest in the city on a large scale. You would think that eventually they will want to be a part of the huge urban revival going on in KC, but sadly, very few companies have chosen to move back to the city in KC and unless that changes, this downtown residential boom going on will be short lived.

While I'm grateful that Cerner continues to grow by leaps and bounds, and that they are building a huge complex in an area given up for dead, I would really like to see them put a tower or two downtown...not just a 12 story structure, but a nice centerpiece...something like 40-50 stories. I thought that they would've by now.

Old 03-25-2017, 11:19 PM

71 posts, read 79,800 times
But I'm also in agreement with the looks of the Hyatt Medical Building renderings. Sheesh!! Isn't JE Dunn the ones who designed that? If so, than I'm truly disappointed. That can't be the best that they do!!

Old 03-26-2017, 11:04 AM

112 posts, read 99,695 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brooksider2brooklyn View Post
It's in the kc construction thread, the best thread on the kc forum and the only real reason I come here! Search function is your friend! That's a pretty ugly design. Stubby and boring. Kc doesn't get sexy new towers though. It's not that kind of city.
Although this is true, I don't think this one is the developer's fault. Or anyone in KC. I have some inside info on the development of this one, and my understanding is that Hyatt drove this design. They wanted bigger floor plates, which meant fewer floors, and a stumpier design. The fact that this isn't more creative architecture is simply a function of available financing. Not enough for a more unique design. All that said, it's still very disappointing. As I said on another thread, it's another opportunity (at least partially) squandered for something major downtown.

Old 03-26-2017, 11:09 AM

112 posts, read 99,695 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kcmo View Post

Agree that KC has trouble dreaming big. Compared to other cities I've lived in (Dallas, Chicago, Minneapolis and even Des Moines) there seems to be a real complacency here and a lack of big ideas. I get the sense that there is a long history of that. And when people do dream big, they get met with a lot of resistance (like the Brookridge project and even P&L.) I remember reading that there was resistance once to a major downtown high rise because people thought it would block part of the view of the skyline from the south. Sheesh! It's like people don't realize they're in a city and things change from time to time.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Kansas City