U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Kansas City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-23-2017, 12:04 PM

112 posts, read 62,001 times

Advertisements

Des Moines is the fastest growing city in the Midwest and has a major high rise planned for downtown with cooler architecture than what's being built in DTKC. What have they figured out that we haven't?

Link: Des Moines is the fastest growing city in the Midwest, Census says
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-23-2017, 12:34 PM

112 posts, read 62,001 times
For what it's worth, my theory is that Des Moines' economy is newer than KC's, and less dependent on manufacturing and other "old economy" sources of growth. It is a big insurance hub for one thing. I lived there briefly growing up. It's a nice town. But doesn't have nearly as much to offer as KC. KC should be outperforming it.

Old 03-23-2017, 12:38 PM

10,705 posts, read 18,509,283 times
I wouldn't say it's growing fast, but slightly faster than KC. Most Midwest cities grow very slowly. It's also a much smaller metro, so they are actually still adding fewer new residents.

And no, Des Moines has nothing on KC. They are not really even comparable. However, Des Moines (like every other city in the country) has blown past KC when it comes to adding urban recreation (bike trails and bike lanes, pedestrian bridges, riverfront parks, levee trails etc).

Old 03-23-2017, 05:40 PM

4 posts, read 2,518 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DallastoChicagotoKC View Post
Des Moines is the fastest growing city in the Midwest and has a major high rise planned for downtown with cooler architecture than what's being built in DTKC. What have they figured out that we haven't?

Link: Des Moines is the fastest growing city in the Midwest, Census says
Will this new high rise help fill in the skyline of Des Moines they have a nice skyline but the 801 and whatever the the name of the next tallest just seems to stick out like a sore thumb compared to the rest of DM when coming into downtown from the west and I-235

Old 03-23-2017, 07:32 PM

10,705 posts, read 18,509,283 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NWiowa View Post
Will this new high rise help fill in the skyline of Des Moines they have a nice skyline but the 801 and whatever the the name of the next tallest just seems to stick out like a sore thumb compared to the rest of DM when coming into downtown from the west and I-235
That new building won't do a ton for the skyline, but will be a nice addition. Des Moines has a nice skyline for the size of the city. I think the tallest building there actually looks pretty decent. It's not that much taller than the rest of the skyline. Omaha's tallest is much more out of place (although I still like their skyline too) and OKC's tallest just looks ridiculous (completely out of scale for the city). Charlotte used to have a pencil skyline, but no longer does since they have added so many towers.

Old 03-23-2017, 07:35 PM

35,821 posts, read 39,387,870 times
Des Moines, eh. I know it well. I wouldn't say it could go head to head with KC, sorry.

Old 03-23-2017, 07:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kcmo View Post
That new building won't do a ton for the skyline, but will be a nice addition. Des Moines has a nice skyline for the size of the city. I think the tallest building there actually looks pretty decent. It's not that much taller than the rest of the skyline. Omaha's tallest is much more out of place (although I still like their skyline too) and OKC's tallest just looks ridiculous (completely out of scale for the city). Charlotte used to have a pencil skyline, but no longer does since they have added so many towers.
When I look at pictures from other sides of downtown DM it looks much better I'm just so use to coming in on the 235 that every time I pass that curve coming around downtown all you see is the 801 but I agree with you downtown DM and their skyscrapers compliment each other nicely and any further high rides will be addition to an already good skyline for the size of the city

Old 03-23-2017, 07:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TabulaRasa View Post
Des Moines, eh. I know it well. I wouldn't say it could go head to head with KC, sorry.
Well Kansas City metro is what 2.5 million while DM is like 622,000. So for the surplus of tall buildings I'm KC is no surprise but I do believe that the tallest building in KC is only like 10 ft taller.? Than the one in DM. Both are great cities if you're looking for greater and denser downtown KC is your place but DM for its size has a great downtown not to big or out of place just perfect for the size of DM

Old 03-25-2017, 09:08 PM

146 posts, read 101,581 times
Congrats on the new tall tower Des Moines - I'm a fan.
Nice town, nice people and I always enjoy visiting.

That being said, Downtown KC has infinitely more being built/rehabbed than Des Moines does.
Fastest growing? That's probably per capita and it's probably a very slight edge.
KC is growing faster and it's downtown has and is currently booming.
There are about 60-70 projects finished, under construction and/or planned over the last 5 years.

Old 03-26-2017, 01:21 PM

5,500 posts, read 5,163,219 times
That being said, Downtown KC has infinitely more being built/rehabbed than Des Moines does.
Fastest growing? That's probably per capita and it's probably a very slight edge.
KC is growing faster and it's downtown has and is currently booming.
There are about 60-70 projects finished, under construction and/or planned over the last 5 years.

Wow, I didn't realize that Kansas City had so much going on downtown. I really like it's downtown area and we enjoyed the Crossroads area for a Drive-By Truckers show September 23, 2016. I like a vibrant downtown area.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Kansas City
View detailed profiles of:
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or