U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Kansas City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-24-2017, 08:28 AM

1 posts, read 593 times

Advertisements

Hi Guys,

My wife and I are moving to KC. My job requires me to live within the limits of Kansas City, MO. We are planning on living in the North Kansas City area. I wanted to get people’s opinions on the different school districts (Park Hill vs North Kansas City 74 vs Liberty 53).

Our eldest is still a few years away from Elementary School age. I will probably visit all of these schools before we buy a place.

Any feedback would be appreciated, thanks!!

Park Hill
Alfred Renner -->Congress Middle --> Park Hill High
-Hoping to get into the English Landing, Prairie Point, or Hawthorn Elementary areas, but only a small part of KCMO is in those boundaries.
-Is Park Hill South High better?
-What do people think about Thomas B. Chinn Elementary? Doesn’t seem to have great ratings on Great Schools or School Digger.

North Kansas City 74
Bell Prairie/Northview/Fox Hill --> New Mark Middle --> Staley High
-Park Hill district is rated higher than North Kansas City 74. Any thoughts on the pyramid above?

Liberty 53
Shoal Creek Elementary --> South Valley Middle --> Liberty High
-Liberty is rated higher than Park Hill and North Kansas City.
-My wife grew up in KC, and is hesitant about the Liberty School District since it is not as diverse, and we are South and East Asian…especially with recent events in Olathe and the direction of the country in general. Even on the east coast it seems there have been more race related incidents as of late.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-27-2017, 02:17 PM

35,817 posts, read 39,346,783 times
I've worked with all three. In choosing where to send my kid, I'd rank them Liberty, then Parkville, then NKC. Juse personal preference. But all three are solid.

Old 04-23-2017, 08:46 PM

42 posts, read 31,966 times
We live in the Park Hill district and catchment area for English Landing Elementary - our address is in the suburb of KC, MO. The principal seems lovely (she is always out and about talking to parents and kids and extremely approachable) and the teachers nice so far - only moved there this year. The kids seem happy and reasonable. There seems to be a good mix of white, black, hispanic - maybe not heaps of Asian kids, but it's not like just everyone at the school is white. Prairie Point seemed another nice one. Chinn some locals are not so impressed with, or Renner?? Just be aware that they are building a new middle school now, planning to build a new elementary school probably within 3 years or so? Plus in future will need another high school, so the school boundaries are going to change. The new middle school is going next to the South East Elementary School, and the current Plaza Middle School only serves Grade 6 for the whole district, but will revert to 6 - 8 when the new middle school opens, so within two years there will be four middle schools all for grades 6 - 8. When inquiring some people commented they would prefer the southern high school in this district. We live walking distance to Lakeview Middle, so really hope our zoning doesn't change. There is a minute catchment area for Prairie Point Elementary (SW corner??) that currently fits in the Lakeview MIddle and Park Hill South boundaries, but the rest of the kids go to Congress and Park Hill High. Of course that could change, though. The district seems to very carefully monitor the enrolment numbers at the elmeentary level and try to stick to about 500 kids at each school, so they must change the boundaries whenever necessary to facilitate this.

Incidentally it takes us 15 mins to get to the CBD, about 20 mins to Union Station and 23? to the Country Club Plaza.

Good luck!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Kansas City