Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Kansas City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-30-2017, 10:09 PM

78,347 posts, read 60,547,237 times

Advertisements

I recently had a friend post the same question about Kansas (or close enough) so what excuses do you guys have besides the obvious ones like "poor minorities have no other voting options". ?

Just curious how the racism is justified.

Old 03-31-2017, 06:29 AM

1,328 posts, read 1,461,877 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post
I recently had a friend post the same question about Kansas (or close enough) so what excuses do you guys have besides the obvious ones like "poor minorities have no other voting options". ?

Just curious how the racism is justified.
I assume you yourself are a product of Missouri public schools, and are looking for someone to blame for your inability to type a grammatically correct title to this thread.

If you need help with your grammar and spelling, please let me know; I'm a professional copy-writer and editor. If you need help finding someone to blame, I don't know what to tell you.

Old 03-31-2017, 10:28 PM

6,815 posts, read 11,536,435 times
I don't know if this is a major cause, but starting in the late 1960s, the property owners in the KCMO school district defeated bond issues and/or levy increases for about 20 years straight, if not more.

Old 04-01-2017, 06:16 AM

1,328 posts, read 1,461,877 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Okey Dokie View Post
I don't know if this is a major cause, but starting in the late 1960s, the property owners in the KCMO school district defeated bond issues and/or levy increases for about 20 years straight, if not more.
Wait. Is this thread supposed to be about the KCMO school district? Or about Missouri schools in general?

Because those are two VEEEERY different topics.

Old 04-01-2017, 08:57 AM

11,108 posts, read 23,877,928 times
It's ironic that somebody from Kansas would start a thread like this. I mean, the state has ONE county with well funded, highly rated public schools.

And many parts of that county such as portions of the Shawnee Mission and Olathe districts are nothing to wright home about. So basically people like mathguy sit around and talk about how great the schools are in Kansas when they are basically only referring to Blue Valley and a few other affluent areas of JoCO. Big f..ing deal. Any newer affluent suburban area will have high ranked schools. That doesn't even mean they are better than a middle of the road ranked district. I wouldn't rank Park Hill any higher than NKC just because it's more affluent and has better stats. NKC is a very good district, however it is much more economically and socially diverse.

There are actually MORE highly ranked districts on the MO side of KC than the KS side and a large portion of the suburban St Louis schools are also very good.

MO schools are in better financial shape and there are a lot more good districts across Missouri than what Kansas has.

You want to talk about ONLY the KCMO school district? Sure, those schools suck. But you better talk about the KCK district and every other district in the state of Kansas too. And look at all the urban residential growth in the KCMO district. You can't say that about any part of Kansas except JoCo where they give more incentives per project than urban KCMO does for development.

And with the way things are going in Topeka, one of the only reasons people move to Kansas at all (JoCo public schools) may not even be a sure thing much longer.

As far as why the "KCMO School District" has poor schools? It's pretty obvious and you can ask the same question about every large urban area in the country. There are a few more challenges in urban schools vs Blue Valley or Lee's Summit.

Old 04-01-2017, 02:14 PM

13,721 posts, read 19,251,067 times
^^^ Nothing to "wright" home about? Weren't you educated in Kansas City, Missouri?

The truth is, Missouri schools outside of Kansas City are nothing to write home about, either.

Old 04-01-2017, 02:19 PM

23,593 posts, read 37,468,022 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kcmo View Post
It's ironic that somebody from Kansas would start a thread like this.
Maybe he's an illegal border jumper!

Old 04-02-2017, 07:33 PM

3,833 posts, read 3,336,963 times
Come down here to Florida if you want to see what bad public schools are like. They're terrible down here. Teacher pay is horrible too which makes it hard to find good teachers especially in the areas with high housing prices.

Old 04-03-2017, 03:03 PM

11,108 posts, read 23,877,928 times
Pubic schools are going down the drains all across America. The republicans are de-funding them. The democrats are throwing money at them in the wrong places and bringing all students down to the lowest common denominator.

Like everything else in this country, there is no middle ground common sense anymore.

Old 04-04-2017, 05:08 AM

12,350 posts, read 9,714,064 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kcmo View Post
Pubic schools are going down the drains all across America. The republicans are de-funding them. The democrats are throwing money at them in the wrong places and bringing all students down to the lowest common denominator.

Like everything else in this country, there is no middle ground common sense anymore.
One of your better posts, if you don't mind my saying so. Nothing really to disagree with there.

Yes, a few decades ago the social "progressives" wrestled control of public schools away from parents and have turned them into an abyss of wasted tax dollars. Thus, to the degree Republicans are de-funding them (around the edges), it is as a last-resort measure. Similar to finally fixing a broken city water main pouring wasted fresh water into the streets at thousands of gallons per minute.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Kansas City