U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Easter!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Kansas City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-01-2017, 10:39 PM

3,625 posts, read 6,756,846 times

Advertisements

I'll be 5th then to recommend Lawrence. I did the Lawrence-Topeka commute years ago and it really wasn't too awful. If there was bad snow I'd spring for the Turnpike, otherwise I took 40. There are some wonderful older neighborhoods in Lawrence (Old West Lawrence), and plenty of newer housing stock, too.

Soapboxist in categorically wrong about KCMO earning tax. You pay 1% if you work OR live within the KCMO city limits. I dealt with earnings taxes for about 40 years, either working in, or living in (and for a few years, actually doing both) KCMO.

Welcome to the midwest, and I hope it isn't too much of a culture shock.
Quick reply to this message

Old 04-02-2017, 04:09 AM

3,653 posts, read 1,767,273 times
Missouri-born-and-raised son of a Jayhawk adding his voice to the chorus recommending Lawrence.

It's been years since I set foot in the city - I didn't get the chance to head out that way on my two most recent visits - but Lawrence was cool in a way Kansas City wasn't when I was growing up, and that was before Kansans finally decided to get real about alcoholic beverages (in no small part thanks to some guys in Lawrence who wanted to open a brewpub; I hear Free State Brewing's quite good).

Of course, KC's gotten way cool since, and the added virtue of living in Lawrence is that you will be a half hour away from both Topeka and KC.

Besides, William S. Burroughs, author of "Naked Lunch," spent the last several decades of his life in Lawrence. If it could welcome him, it will certainly welcome you.

Old 04-02-2017, 08:54 AM

35,817 posts, read 39,334,463 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Okey Dokie View Post

Welcome to the midwest, and I hope it isn't too much of a culture shock.
It will be, unless they've already got some experience with the region. Lawrence moreso than KC, but KC, too, really.

Old 04-02-2017, 10:52 AM

10,705 posts, read 18,488,746 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GHM View Post
We are a married gay couple in our early 40s. We live in New York City, and have been together for over 15 years. My job has offered an excellent career promotion in Topeka, Kansas. We are considering this opportunity as it is potentially life changing. We have relocated for my job once before.

We want to know what would be best areas to live in the Kansas City Metro area. We are open to live either on the MO or KS sides of the city. I will be commuting to Topeka daily. We simply want a neighborhood that is accepting and welcoming (what everybody wants) with low crime and a good standard of living. We are looking for an area with single family homes. We are tired of apartment living, so we want a home with yard (for our dog), garage, large enough to have our families visit (minimally 3 bedrooms).

I am willing to have an hour commute each way to Topeka. My husband would be looking for a new job if we make the move.

We would really appreciate any suggestions on areas to avoid and/or consider and your reasoning behind the suggestion if possible.

Thanks!
Lawrence is a great suggestion. It would really cut down on what would be a rather long commute and it's a nice liberal college town that's big enough that you can live there even though you have no ties to the university.

However, I have always felt that where you call home can often be worth a longer commute. You have to make the decision as to which is more important, but I would also look at metro KC (suburban or urban would be about same extra time) in addition to Lawrence.

For typical sprawl type suburbia, you would need to stay on the Kansas side because the MO suburbs would be way too far. I would take a good look at western Shawnee or Lenexa if you prefer to live closer the the metro area while minimizing your commute. That area would be totally fine as far as being accepting to a gay couple. You would think the closest suburban areas to Topeka would be western Wyandotte County / KCK, however, I would avoid anything in Wyandotte County. Coming from the east coast, anything in WyCo will be extreme culture shock. KCK/WyCo is just a very bizarre place and have a very "country" vibe to it, especially the western portions near the speedway area. Drive the extra ten minutes to western Shawnee or Lenexa. Overland Park, Leawood etc would really add unnecessary time to your commute for similar homes and you would get into potential congestion/delays. So western Shawnee or Lenexa are probably your only good options for suburban KC and you can get a similar home in Lawrence, so the only benefit would be being close to the metro area. That may not be worth the extra commute time however, you spouse may want a more ideal location for his job search.

If you look at google maps it's only about 5 more minutes (compared to lenexa/shawnee) to areas of KCMO that you would probably really like.

If you want a single family home, with a yard in a nice safe area that is very liberal and extremely close to a ton of entertainment and culture, I would look at Coleman Highlands or Volker. Both would be much less of a culture shock coming from NYC. That area of KCMO is very near state line and Interstate 70, so the commute would be as ideal as you can get for living in the city. BTW, I-70/I-670 west out of downtown KCMO is by far the least congested (it's basically never congested) route in/out of downtown. 70 into Missouri, I-35 to the north and south etc are all much more congested. So the drive through KCK is basically high speed.

I think you would like Brookside, but you start extending your commute and you might actually like Coleman Highlands or Volker better.

So again. I'm not trying to sway you one way or the other. It really depends on what lifestyle you want. I personally would give up an extra 30 minutes each way of commuting to live in an area that I really enjoy living in. Lawrence or the western suburbs of Johnson County may be a perfect fit for you. But take a good look at those neighborhoods in KCMO. It may be the difference of enjoying your time in the midwest or just trying to pass your time till you can find something else. Also, your husband is likley to find a job in metro KC and that job could be downtown or in the MO or KS suburbs. Living in Colemand Highlands or Volker or even Brookside would allow a rather short commute for one of you at least while having the entire metro area to fine a job. For the record, I know several people from the east coast that have settled in those areas of KCMO (with and without kids) and they really like it.

Good luck!

Old 04-02-2017, 01:29 PM
GHM GHM started this thread

5 posts, read 3,228 times
Thank you to everyone for taking time to respond to me and welcoming us to the Midwest!

I have some homework to look at those areas. I have been to Lawrence and like it.

We are planning a trip this month for him to look at Lawrence and KC Metro. I personally would prefer Lawrence but need to make my husband comfortable with the potential move as he would be the one giving up his job for me. I am willing to commute (although hate commuting as well) if that is what it takes.

This forum is awesome!!!

Old 04-03-2017, 04:03 PM

3,302 posts, read 911,548 times
You didn't mention a price point, but I'd look along the state line, Mission, Fairway, Prairie Village on the KS side and Brookside on the MO side. You will not have any issues with acceptance.

Old 04-07-2017, 01:22 PM

112 posts, read 61,867 times
Regarding OP and Leawood -- someone above mentioned that you're adding to your commute and potential traffic being there instead of Shawnee. This is true. But you may find that you don't mind the trade off if you choose that kind of suburban living. South OP and South Leawood (south of I-435) have the best restaurant, entertainment and shopping selection of any of the "far out" suburban areas. Think I-435 South to 151st and State Liine west to about Quivira. So if that kind of stuff is important to you, you should still consider those areas. Compared to NYC traffic, nothing in KC will seem bad.

Personally, if I didn't have to worry about schools, I'd choose Brookside, and I agree that the close-in KS burbs are mostly great.

Old 05-22-2017, 07:16 AM

16 posts, read 7,800 times
Did you guys end up taking a look?

Old 05-22-2017, 07:32 AM
GHM GHM started this thread

5 posts, read 3,228 times
Yes! We did have an opportunity to spend a weekend in Kansas City.

We really liked the Brookside area and areas adjacent to it (KCMO side). They have the perfect size of homes and yards. You can be in most places in KC within 10-15 minutes at the most.
The suburbs on the Kansas side were outside of my husband's comfort.

My apologies for not updating the thread.

Thank you everyone that replied and gave us input.

Old 05-27-2017, 03:33 PM

16 posts, read 7,800 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GHM View Post
Yes! We did have an opportunity to spend a weekend in Kansas City.

We really liked the Brookside area and areas adjacent to it (KCMO side). They have the perfect size of homes and yards. You can be in most places in KC within 10-15 minutes at the most.
The suburbs on the Kansas side were outside of my husband's comfort.

My apologies for not updating the thread.

Thank you everyone that replied and gave us input.
I don't blame you. I don't want to live anywhere in the Kansas side. Best of luck, where ever your new job takes you! Did you guys go to Lawrence to?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Kansas City
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or