Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Kansas City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-27-2017, 03:21 PM

19 posts, read 16,994 times

Advertisements

Hello all,

My wife and I contemplating buying a home in KC, and I have some general questions about the city and the process, but thought I'd start with some background info:
  • I'm from Colorado, wife is from Oregon. While we love everything about both states, the cost of living is untenable for a young newlywed couple.
  • We are planning a visit to see some church friends who live in KC this summer which I'm sure will answer some questions (what's the weather like, how's the nightlife, etc.)
  • No children, with none in the near future, so proximity to schools isn't a concern when buying
  • I work from home, and my wife works retail, so we are flexible in our jobs
  • My wife and I are handy and are interested in taking on a "fixer-upper" project (Painting, landscaping, flooring, etc. are fine, whereas completely gutting a house/total renovation would be a bit much for us as first time homebuyers)

Our all-in budget is $100k, which it seems would give us many choices in the KC metro area. We are looking for a 3 bedroom home with a yard for our large dog and proximity to coffee shops/cafes. We live life at a slower pace, so something not in the heart of downtown is preferred. All that being said, here's some questions that I have:
  • Based on what I've described, is a $100k budget realistic and manageable in the KC metro area? In CO/OR our budget wouldn't even qualify us for a trailer home, but Zillow would lead me to believe we would have much better luck in KC
  • Are there any neighborhoods/areas that would fit my "wish list"? Any areas that, though they may be affordable, should be avoided?

Lots of questions, I know! Just trying to do as much homework as possible to make an informed decision. Thanks in advance, I appreciate the input
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-27-2017, 04:35 PM

709 posts, read 1,483,221 times
It is likely going to be tough, but that depends on your definition is of "proximity" to coffee shops/cafes (also what kind of cafes you would expect) and what standards you have for both the home and the neighborhood.

Most homes that are under $100k will be in a less than ideal location, or need complete renovation (or both).

You could try looking in Waldo (and areas just to the south). A year or two ago you would have been more likely to find something in your price range in that location, but with the way the market has been going, it will probably be tough right now. You could also try looking the city of North Kansas City (it is a separate municipality, as opposed to the north portion of KC). Maybe the portion of Kansas City, Kansas around the KU Med Center.

Old 04-28-2017, 09:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WiseOwlSaysHoot View Post
It is likely going to be tough, but that depends on your definition is of "proximity" to coffee shops/cafes (also what kind of cafes you would expect) and what standards you have for both the home and the neighborhood.

Most homes that are under $100k will be in a less than ideal location, or need complete renovation (or both).

You could try looking in Waldo (and areas just to the south). A year or two ago you would have been more likely to find something in your price range in that location, but with the way the market has been going, it will probably be tough right now. You could also try looking the city of North Kansas City (it is a separate municipality, as opposed to the north portion of KC). Maybe the portion of Kansas City, Kansas around the KU Med Center.
Great advice, thank you I suppose when I refer to "proximity" to coffee shops, I would prefer to be able to find a good cup of coffee in a good atmosphere without having to drive 30 minutes to get there (Currently living in the suburbs of Denver where your choices are Starbucks, Starbucks, or Starbucks for coffee )

Will look into those areas!

Old 04-28-2017, 09:09 AM

37,409 posts, read 53,341,281 times
It will really depend on where you want to be. 3 BR at that price is going to narrow your neighborhoods quite a bit, and are also likely to be more work than minimal cosmetic fixer upper type work.

Old 04-28-2017, 10:11 AM

11,108 posts, read 23,740,264 times
I don't think KC is as cheap as you think it is. KC's housing prices are thrown off because the metro has so much blight. 100k is not going to get you a move in ready home in a nice area that's also walkable, close to non chain coffee shops etc in central city areas. So while it's cheaper than Denver or Portland, you may be surprised at how much nice homes in desirable areas actually cost in KC.

You won't find anything in the city that's not on the east side that's not a total fixer upper. So even modest areas like Waldo are likely out. You will probably have to go with some the older suburban areas.

I would say your best places to look are the lower Northland area (Glandstone, NKC and portions of KCMO south of Gladstone). Try to stay close to Downtown NKC where you have many local shops and dining places. Gladstone may have some things pop up an while it more suburban, it's also one of nicer more modest suburbs in the metro and they are seeing revival of sorts with a lot of new investment and younger people moving in to buy starter homes.

However a quick zillow search doesn't come up with much.

The best places I found that fits your criteria are a couple of homes not too far from Downtown Lee's Summit. Lee's Summit probably has the best suburban downtown in the metro and while most of Lee's Summit is pretty affluent, the older parts around Downtown have some really modest yet well kept homes. Much of Lee's Summit is typical suburbia, but the city has a very unique and independent identity and a very vibrant downtown with a lot community events etc. So you can enjoy a walkalbe area but still be in a large suburb and in a large metro area. It may be the best place for you to look.

https://www.zillow.com/homedetails/5.../2456385_zpid/

https://www.zillow.com/homedetails/5.../2453816_zpid/

Old 04-28-2017, 11:38 AM

3,324 posts, read 3,428,789 times
Another area to check is near the Independence Square. The Square has made a great comeback in recent years, and has numerous local restaurants, coffee shop, and 4 screen cinema.

- Home

Old 04-28-2017, 11:50 AM

37,409 posts, read 53,341,281 times
For perspective, when we were looking for a three bedroom home about a year and a half ago, most in the areas we were looking (all solidly middle class neighborhoods adjacent to basic amenities) that were move-in ready with no major projects necessary ranged from about 130-190k. We sold a very small 2BR for 115, but it needed some cosmetic work.

I also lived in a small 2BR bungalow in downtown Lee's Summit that was, I believe, 113K. It was newly rehabbed and totally turnkey. I just checked, and it last sold for 104, and is currently offmarket, but valued at 109k.

Old 04-28-2017, 01:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kcmo View Post
I don't think KC is as cheap as you think it is. KC's housing prices are thrown off because the metro has so much blight. 100k is not going to get you a move in ready home in a nice area that's also walkable, close to non chain coffee shops etc in central city areas. So while it's cheaper than Denver or Portland, you may be surprised at how much nice homes in desirable areas actually cost in KC.

You won't find anything in the city that's not on the east side that's not a total fixer upper. So even modest areas like Waldo are likely out. You will probably have to go with some the older suburban areas.

I would say your best places to look are the lower Northland area (Glandstone, NKC and portions of KCMO south of Gladstone). Try to stay close to Downtown NKC where you have many local shops and dining places. Gladstone may have some things pop up an while it more suburban, it's also one of nicer more modest suburbs in the metro and they are seeing revival of sorts with a lot of new investment and younger people moving in to buy starter homes.

However a quick zillow search doesn't come up with much.

The best places I found that fits your criteria are a couple of homes not too far from Downtown Lee's Summit. Lee's Summit probably has the best suburban downtown in the metro and while most of Lee's Summit is pretty affluent, the older parts around Downtown have some really modest yet well kept homes. Much of Lee's Summit is typical suburbia, but the city has a very unique and independent identity and a very vibrant downtown with a lot community events etc. So you can enjoy a walkalbe area but still be in a large suburb and in a large metro area. It may be the best place for you to look.

https://www.zillow.com/homedetails/5.../2456385_zpid/

https://www.zillow.com/homedetails/5.../2453816_zpid/
Thank you for the great insight It's always challenging when looking at an unfamiliar city and trying to get a feel for the different areas.
Upon reflecting, I suppose the proximity to cafes/coffee shops would be less of a "must-have" and more of a "would be very nice".

Zillow pulls up a number of results in Independence that match our criteria on paper. Any thoughts on Independence? (And yes, Zillow can have notoriously out-of-date information, I'm just looking at the big picture )

Thank you all!

Old 04-28-2017, 03:08 PM

3,324 posts, read 3,428,789 times
Most parts of Independence are safe, especially considering your price range. There is a lot of retail, especially in the SE portion of town around 39th St & MO Hiway 291. There are numerous locally owned retail shops on the Square and a few miles west of there in the Englewood neighborhood (along Winner Road west of Sterling).

Independence also has lots of history for you to enjoy...

Home - Visit Independence

Old 04-28-2017, 04:45 PM

377 posts, read 565,163 times
I would maybe consider two areas in Kansas City, Kansas: the area near KU Medical Center right across the state line from the KCMO Volker neighborhood and the old Rosedale district off Southwest Boulevard.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Kansas City