Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Kansas City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-08-2008, 07:23 AM

48 posts, read 171,019 times

Advertisements

Hi,

We will be relocating to Kansas City this summer. Can you tell me how the schools are funded there? In OH we have to pass a levy to financially support the schools.

Also as a side note, when looking at school scores between Platte County, Liberty, and Johnson County there is a big difference. I think that each state can decide how/what to test. Are JoCo schools really that much better? Or is the difference somewhat how they test in each state? It is so hard to compare from out of state!

Thanks for any info!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-11-2008, 08:35 AM

12,063 posts, read 31,611,075 times
It's true, you can't compare two schools in different states because the tests they use are so different. I know this is the case when comparing Missouri to Illinois, and I can certainly imagine a similar situation when comparing to Kansas.

The MAP (Missouri Assessment Program) that they use on the MO side is fairly new (like 10 years) and very hard. It's also not the traditional "fill in the bubble" so the grading is certainly more subjective. Grades on it were really bad the first few years of the program, and have been getting better ever since.

I know nothing about the Kansas tests, maybe someone else can offer their expertise on that.

Old 03-12-2008, 08:23 AM

413 posts, read 909,378 times
Johnson County does have excellent schools, but a true comparison with the Missouri counties would be hard to do without standardization.

This is why I feel we need nationally standardized outcome-based testing. The No Child Left Behind Act caused some problems, but if the law could somehow be amended to still allow for teaching of the untested subjects (art, physics, music, PE, etc.), and if there were a nationally-standardized test, it'd be a lot easier to compare schools in different states. As it is, some people here in Maryland seem to look down their noses at me, a Kansas high school graduate, because my education couldn't possibly have been as good as theirs. We needn't bother noticing that kids coming out of even the best Maryland public high schools can't spell, explain what an indirect object is, or describe photosythesis, which are all things I learned in seventh grade at my public school in Derby, KS.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Kansas City