U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Kansas City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-21-2017, 08:01 AM

1,390 posts, read 1,705,954 times

Advertisements

This story caught my attention because I jog/bike on the Indian Creek trail over here in my area frequently. Anyone of you KC CDers use these portions of the trail? I wonder if it is a bona fide serial killer or if this is just random/coincidence. I've probably been watching too much First 48.

KC police follow evidence, try to solve 4 similar homicides on I - KCTV5
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-21-2017, 09:52 PM

12,607 posts, read 14,617,198 times
I think it's interesting that three of the four victims were walking dogs. The latest victim was walking his two black labs and the dogs were found near his body. Wouldn't two black labs protect their owner? They didn't mention the cause of death, but even if it was a gunshot you'd think the dogs would attack the killer.

Old 05-22-2017, 09:06 AM

10,705 posts, read 18,504,291 times
This is really bizarre. Looks like KC may have a serial killer. I can't imagine three random murders like this with so much in common.

Old 05-22-2017, 10:55 AM

35,818 posts, read 39,375,570 times
I'm not yet sold on the serial killer angle, personally.

Old 05-22-2017, 02:08 PM

84 posts, read 110,962 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kcmo View Post
This is really bizarre. Looks like KC may have a serial killer. I can't imagine three random murders like this with so much in common.
There have been 4 murders.

My understanding is they all are similar - shot to the back of the head. I'm sure there are details the police are leaving out (i.e., signs of whether or not robbery was a motive). All 4 victims were white males in their 50-60s. I may be too much of a true-crime addict, but looks likely there may be a serial killer to me.

I don't fit into the victim MO (female in her 30s ) and I live up north, so I don't frequent that trail too often. However, last week I was thinking about heading down there on Saturday since the trails I usually go out on around here (non-paved) would have been too muddy. Needless to say, I ended up going elsewhere!

Old 05-22-2017, 05:07 PM

12,607 posts, read 14,617,198 times
I don't think the police would alarm the public by saying they suspect a serial killer unless they had information that really pointed in that direction. USUALLY the police say that the public isn't at risk - meaning they know it's an isolated incident or a targeted victim or whatever. They aren't saying that this time.

Old 05-22-2017, 06:22 PM

1,390 posts, read 1,705,954 times
A friend of mine was telling me there is a homeless camp/tent city kind of thing happening around Wornall and I-435. Not that homeless are necessarily more likely to take part in homicide, but there's potential motive at least if these were robberies. The news people, however, aren't releasing any details about the possible motive(s), circumstances, murder weapon(s), etc. I don't have any reason to be on that part of the trail anyhow but I'll be damned if I would go there now. Hope they figure it out quick.

Old 05-22-2017, 06:23 PM

7,687 posts, read 3,846,888 times
According to the Star, they will only confirm that one of the four was shot.

Old 05-22-2017, 08:17 PM

One was killed in the parking lot of his apartment complex, not on the trail, one was found in a Minor Park shelter. At least one female body has been found in the past six months along the KS side of the trail system, but that hasn't been included.

Until more compelling info is released, I'm disinclined to jump on the OMGSERIALKILLERZ bandwagon, just yet.

Old 05-22-2017, 08:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by luzianne View Post
I don't think the police would alarm the public by saying they suspect a serial killer unless they had information that really pointed in that direction. USUALLY the police say that the public isn't at risk - meaning they know it's an isolated incident or a targeted victim or whatever. They aren't saying that this time.

The police actually aren't saying they suspect a serial killer.

Serial killer on south KC creek trails? Not so fast, police say | The Kansas City Star

Various media are pushing that angle, and unsurprisingly. It gets hits, clicks, reads.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Kansas City
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or