U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Kansas City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-28-2017, 12:53 AM

8 posts, read 2,394 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by rwiksell View Post
I could be wrong about this, but even people on the coasts can tell the difference between Missouri and Kansas. Missouri evokes images of the St Louis Arch, pro sports teams, Ozark Mountains, big rivers, Mark Twain, etc. Kansas is more about Wheat farms and Dorothy. Those are pretty different.

Not to say that these stereotypes are really useful or meaningfully true. It's just that you have two different brand images going on, and that counts for something.
You would be surprised.

At the Guns n Roses concert at Arrowhead in 2016, Axl Rose said something about being in Kansas. You would think he had just announced that he was going to eat live puppies on stage.

I think Bono did it at the U2 concert this summer, too.

That is just a few instances; it's like they hear Kansas and don't recognize the words the City, Missouri as being part of the English language.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-28-2017, 06:45 AM

1,298 posts, read 983,604 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChenBokChoy View Post
You would be surprised.

At the Guns n Roses concert at Arrowhead in 2016, Axl Rose said something about being in Kansas. You would think he had just announced that he was going to eat live puppies on stage.

I think Bono did it at the U2 concert this summer, too.

That is just a few instances; it's like they hear Kansas and don't recognize the words the City, Missouri as being part of the English language.
I've always theorized that people think of it like New York City. The word "city" doesn't really matter that much. But in Kansas City, it matters.

Of course, at Arrowhead, no one cares if you call out Missouri. You're just not allowed to leave off "city".

Old 10-28-2017, 08:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by luzianne View Post
Isn't this thread about Missouri doing the SAME THING - poaching?.
No, that's a different thread. For the record, I've never advocated for this behavior on either side. But my comment wasn't about me; I don't hate Kansas. I prefer Missouri, but I think Kansas is fine. My comment was about those Missourians who do resent Kansas, and vice versa. It's possible I've made false assumptions about these groups, but I don't think so.

Quote:
Personally, though, I don't care about poaching on either side. Whichever side is more attractive to businesses is going to get businesses.
You're calling it "poaching" but then you act like you don't know what poaching is. State X simply reaching out to a company in State Y with the natural benefits of relocating to State X is not poaching. That's just marketing. It's when State X essentially bribes them with hundreds of millions of dollars (or more) that it would be stupid for that company to say no, that's poaching.

Add to that that the transaction doesn't actually bring any new employment to State X, and it goes beyond poaching. There are only two winners - the politicians who appear to be adding jobs (even though they're not) and the owners/investors in the recipient company who just got a big windfall. The public benefit of this situation is null at best, and catastrophic at worst.

My point is this: these businesses are not deciding which state is more attractive to them. They're just taking ridiculous amounts of money to shift back and forth across an invisible line.

Quote:
It doesn't affect my daily life in any way so I really don't care...
This sums up your attitude on a lot of things. I won't disagree with this at all.

Old 10-28-2017, 02:26 PM

2,195 posts, read 2,146,270 times
Quote:
No it is not different. Isn't this thread about Missouri doing the SAME THING - poaching? So saying that it's okay for KCMO boosters to hate Kansas but not vice versa is ridiculous. Personally, though, I don't care about poaching on either side. Whichever side is more attractive to businesses is going to get businesses. It doesn't affect my daily life in any way so I really don't care if businesses decide to locate on the Kansas or Missouri side.
You should care. If you pay taxes in Kansas or Missouri it effects your daily life quite a bit, even if you are too obtuse to understand how.

Old 10-28-2017, 02:49 PM

7,653 posts, read 5,640,644 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SPonteKC View Post
You should care. If you pay taxes in Kansas or Missouri it effects your daily life quite a bit, even if you are too obtuse to understand how.
No it doesn't. And you know better than to suggest that it does.

This "issue" is - and always has been - a fabrication of the Hatfields out of a desperate need for a reason to keep hating the McCoys.

Old 10-28-2017, 03:33 PM

48,897 posts, read 39,392,211 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rwiksell View Post
This is different. Because one of the main reasons KCMO boosters often hate Kansas is the actions of the state government to poach KCMO's businesses. So this will result in a hatred of the state itself, not just JoCo.
Well, it's not the 1 billion cerner got but, maybe you should reflect on things.

https://www.usnews.com/news/best-sta...to-kansas-city

Please comment in detail because clearly we want to hear you explain this. If you make any factual claims please back them up with factual numbers and so forth.

Old 10-29-2017, 05:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post
Well, it's not the 1 billion cerner got but, maybe you should reflect on things.

https://www.usnews.com/news/best-sta...to-kansas-city

Please comment in detail because clearly we want to hear you explain this. If you make any factual claims please back them up with factual numbers and so forth.
There's already a thread about this. Go check it out.

(And remember - you'll know this if you read my previous comments on this thread - I don't defend the incentives issued by either side. It should be noted that this office originated in Missouri, and was poached by Kansas. Nevertheless, I'm not in favor of escalation.)

Old 10-29-2017, 09:29 AM

4,009 posts, read 5,173,825 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChenBokChoy View Post
Just about every person in the free world thinks if you live in Kansas City, you live in Kansas.
That's so true. On MasterChef, Australia, they had a Chef appear as a Guest Judge who introduced himself and said he was from Kansas City, Missouri...

For the entire segment though, Gary (regular judge) kept asking him questions in reference to Kansas.

i.e: "In Kansas, is this the kind of BBQ you would normally cook?" or "Tell us a bit about what you eat in Kansas!"

... in spite of the guy explicitly introducing himself as being from Missouri.

Old 10-29-2017, 03:37 PM

12,607 posts, read 14,613,304 times
When I saw The Rolling Stones at Arrowhead in 2015, Mick Jagger said he was in Chicago yesterday, clicked his heels three times, and now he was here. But seemed like someone had done some research before because he asked how many people were from Kansas and how many were from Missouri. Also asked if we preferred Kansas City being referred to as the city of fountains or cowtown. And one of the band members wore a Royals cap.

Old 10-29-2017, 03:41 PM

Quote:
When I saw The Rolling Stones at Arrowhead in 2015, Mick Jagger said he was in Chicago yesterday, clicked his heels three times, and now he was here. But seemed like someone had done some research before because he asked how many people were from Kansas and how many were from Missouri. Also asked if we preferred Kansas City being referred to as the city of fountains or cowtown. And one of the band members wore a Royals cap.
That's almost pandering. But not quite. I like it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Kansas City