U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Kansas City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-25-2017, 10:00 AM

10,705 posts, read 18,488,746 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DallastoChicagotoKC View Post
Well, I think the real issue is that most people stay fairly close to home no matter where they live (physically and psychologically). When I lived in Chicago, I knew suburbanites who NEVER went downtown. I knew more about downtown Chicago after living there for 6 months than some people knew after living in Schaumburg their whole lives. Many suburbanites in any metro across the country are like that. Sure, there are plenty of JoCo residents who don't venture into KCMO, and particularly downtown. But the same is true for suburbanites on the Missouri side. Maybe because I haven't lived my whole life in KC, there's a culture among some lifers that I'm just not aware of. So many people in JoCo moved here from other places. That's true of a lot of our friends. They could care less about the Kansas/Missouri feud, and I feel pretty certain they just think of themselves as suburban KC folks. Like I said, maybe there are 3rd generation JoCo residents who harbor negative feelings about KCMO, but most of the people I know enjoy getting out of JoCo for things KCMO has to offer.
This is VERY true. The transplants I know in JoCo are fine, which is a large part of the county I know. Most of the culture etc I speak of are the die hard generational JoCoers which tend to also be the politicians. Luckily , their children tend to go against that culture and tend to be much more pro metro and pro city even while having JoCo roots.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-25-2017, 10:46 AM

2,195 posts, read 2,144,593 times
I'm still laughing about someone thinking Tyson's corner is chic and sophisticated.

Old 05-25-2017, 10:53 AM

2,195 posts, read 2,144,593 times
Quote:
I've heard people say that when they're at airports in other parts of the country, they can find the Kansas City flight by all the obese people in line. Those aren't my words. Just something I've heard others say.
Must be true then. Because if there's one thing that's for certain, it's that people who say stuff can accurately discern the very small differences in regional obesity rates by seeing 100 people who are possibly residents of one of them.

Old 05-25-2017, 11:04 AM

7,644 posts, read 5,636,236 times
Quote:
This isn't true. Plenty of JoCo residents support lots of stuff in KC. Shirley Helzberg lives in JoCo and put together much of the funding for the Kaufmann Center. The Kaufmanns used to live in JoCo. Lots of people who life in JoCo support, with private donations, plenty of KC attractions. I'm one of them. I know many others. I'm also involved with the Downtown Council and a charitable organization that helps children who come from struggling areas of KCMO. I know others who do the same thing. It's true that JoCo residents don't pay taxes in Missouri (unless they work there, and then they do), but that's only part of the story. LOTS of JoCo residents put their money and other resources into things that happen in KCMO -- and not just by attendance. To some extent, Kansans are hamstrung when it comes to supporting certain things in KC because we can't vote there. I can't go speak at city counsel meetings because I'm not a resident. So things like the street car or the downtown hotel or the airport are unfortunately out of my hands.

And I don't think I got his post wrong. He gives lip service to JoCo being a decent place to live, but then talks about how it's still Kansas and compared to coastal cities, its hicksville. Comparing Oak Park to Tysons corner and such. I really don't even disagree. I've heard people say that when they're at airports in other parts of the country, they can find the Kansas City flight by all the obese people in line. Those aren't my words. Just something I've heard others say. But coming from KCMO, who is a real champion of KC, it struck me that he's disparaging what is on average the most affluent part of KC, and still referring to it as kind of hickish. That's fine. It may be true. But what does it say about the rest of the metro? As one of my earlier posts made clear, I don't have any real loyalty to JoCo. I've lived other places I prefer of living here. I just don't think it's constructive for either side of the state line to bash the other.
Keep posting reasonable stuff like this and you'll be competing with me and luzianne for most annoying KC regular poster honors. (In the eyes of the JoCo is evil team)

I wish you could have seen what went on here a few years ago. This is so mild by comparison. Still, though some of the rhetoric has been somewhat tamed, have no doubt that Johnson County and Kansas are viewed by the hard-cores as Israel is viewed by the Palestinians. Literally. And it won't change in their lifetimes.

I'm getting the feeling that the kind of contribution you are making may be exactly what this forum has needed for 10 l....o....n....g years. luzianne and I have tried our best, but have made precious little headway - and I'd guess perhaps the prime reason for that is that neither of us have any interest in or affinity for the urban lifestyle. Therefore, our views are brushed aside quickly and considered more like heresy to the strongly pro-urban, JoCo is evil, crowd.

You, on the other hand, having voiced your much more urban-sympathetic viewpoints, won't be dismissed nearly as easily. I hope it's a challenge you'll see as worthwhile....and I wish you the best of luck.

Old 05-25-2017, 12:49 PM

112 posts, read 61,867 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SPonteKC View Post
Must be true then. Because if there's one thing that's for certain, it's that people who say stuff can accurately discern the very small differences in regional obesity rates by seeing 100 people who are possibly residents of one of them.
Ok, I admit that the obese airline passenger thing is stupid. But I didn't make it up. Someone actually said that to me. And he wasn't even particularly thin.

Old 05-25-2017, 01:53 PM

481 posts, read 579,849 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kcmo View Post
I'm not sure where you have been, but a lot of people use it. I wouldn't join it though. The KC Reddit is pretty anti JoCo. So a lot of people have the same imaginations that I do.

As of 2017, Reddit had 542 million monthly visitors (234 million unique users), ranking #4 most visited web-site in US and #9 in the world.[7] Across 2015, Reddit saw 82.54 billion pageviews, 73.15 million submissions, 725.85 million comments, and 6.89 billion upvotes from its users.

Everybody has their own little views of the City/World depending on where you spend the most of your time. People that live in JoCo probably don't visit areas north of the river or east or southeast Kansas city much. Why should they really? Except for trips to the Plaza or a concert at the Sprint Center or a Royals/Chiefs game, that's probably about it for most suburbanites. I live in Waldo and honestly I've never been to Blue Springs, Lee's Summit, Raymore, Raytown, you name it and I've lived in the KC metro area for 20 years...lol. I stick to the downtown-plaza-brookside-waldo core and head over to Prairie Village every now and then and Shawnee or Leawood to visit family, sometimes OP. The only time I go north of the river is really only for the airport. It's all perspective I guess.

Old 05-25-2017, 08:01 PM

482 posts, read 215,985 times
Quote:
Well, I think the real issue is that most people stay fairly close to home no matter where they live (physically and psychologically). When I lived in Chicago, I knew suburbanites who NEVER went downtown. I knew more about downtown Chicago after living there for 6 months than some people knew after living in Schaumburg their whole lives. Many suburbanites in any metro across the country are like that.
Yes, this type of thing happens in major cities everywhere. I think it's crucial for people to know their own city center. Even if they don't like it (which is perfectly legitimate), they should at least visit it a few times to know what it is they don't like.

By the way, your screen name credits my current city, my favorite U.S. city (other than my current one) and my hometown -- all in less than 20 letters. Way to concisely promote so many nice lifestyles! I figure you must be on target about a few things.

Old 05-26-2017, 06:46 AM

5,496 posts, read 5,153,156 times
Yes, this type of thing happens in major cities everywhere. I think it's crucial for people to know their own city center. Even if they don't like it (which is perfectly legitimate), they should at least visit it a few times to know what it is they don't like.

Oh, everyone's gotta know their downtown. Completely essential, and, ya know what? We've been in Grandview 9 months now, and we've been to the Plaza about 5 or 6 times and the Uptown Theater once, and the Zoo twice. We could stand to know the full of KC's downtown a lot better.

But you've got to appreciate your city's downtown, it's one of the things that make a big city a big city, right? And KC, though not enormous with buildings, definitely has some downtown and buildings worth checking out.

Old 05-26-2017, 06:49 AM

1,298 posts, read 982,763 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrownVic95 View Post
I wish you could have seen what went on here a few years ago. This is so mild by comparison. Still, though some of the rhetoric has been somewhat tamed, have no doubt that Johnson County and Kansas are viewed by the hard-cores as Israel is viewed by the Palestinians. Literally. And it won't change in their lifetimes.
Granted, it's difficult for CrownVic to know the true nature of what's being posted, based on the fact that he blocks some of those who disagree with him. Like yours truly ;-)

Old 05-26-2017, 08:19 AM

12,607 posts, read 14,605,815 times
Quote:
I've heard people say that when they're at airports in other parts of the country, they can find the Kansas City flight by all the obese people in line. Those aren't my words. Just something I've heard others say.
I call BS on that. There are fat people everywhere you go. I went to California expecting to see thin, healthy, beautiful people everywhere and it just wasn't like that. There are a lot of fat people in California too. Kansas City doesn't hold the record for fat people. Nowhere in Kansas or Missouri is even in the top 10:

Jackson, Mississippi Is the Fattest City in America, Ranking Says | Health Buzz | US News

Wichita is #32 and Kansas City is #51. LA/Long Beach/Anaheim is #76. Obesity is a problem in every state.

So if someone is saying they can find the KC flight by the obese people in line, that person is just someone who wants to disparage Kansas City/Kansas Citians. Why didn't they mention obese people in line for the 50 cities that are fatter than Kansas City?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Kansas City