Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Kansas City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-26-2017, 08:54 AM

11,108 posts, read 23,883,005 times

Advertisements

I have never noticed people being fat at gates waiting for KC flights. I don't think KC people are all that overweight, maybe slightly compared to coasts, colorado etc, but nothing like the south. However, I have noticed that it looks like everybody is waiting to go to a college pep rally or something. If you are "from" Kansas (not talking about the transplants/business travelers), I think you are required to travel in KU or Kstate gear. You see Mizzou to a lesser extent, but their ugly colors that clash with evertything makes up for it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-26-2017, 09:45 AM

975 posts, read 1,404,648 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kcmo View Post
I have never noticed people being fat at gates waiting for KC flights. I don't think KC people are all that overweight, maybe slightly compared to coasts, colorado etc, but nothing like the south. However, I have noticed that it looks like everybody is waiting to go to a college pep rally or something. If you are "from" Kansas (not talking about the transplants/business travelers), I think you are required to travel in KU or Kstate gear. You see Mizzou to a lesser extent, but their ugly colors that clash with evertything makes up for it.
I work at the Phoenix airport. I think I see more KU attire on a daily basis than attire from any other college (except for Arizona State (which is in the Phoenix area)).

Old 05-26-2017, 10:10 AM

6,816 posts, read 11,540,499 times
Going all the way back to post #1, the high school is NOT named Shoal Creek, it's Staley (NKC District).

Old 05-26-2017, 10:19 AM

404 posts, read 457,041 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kcmo View Post
Oh man this is so true. Frequent biz traveler here. Those Jayhwks fans never travel without it! Its not just college age kids either. I think it's more middle aged people than kids. Don't knock Mizzou! Those are my colors! I don't have any or wear any gear tho.

Are they done with sky harbor yet, last time I was there it was a mess.

Old 05-26-2017, 10:27 AM

6,816 posts, read 11,540,499 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brooksider2brooklyn View Post
Oh man this is so true. Frequent biz traveler here. Those Jayhwks fans never travel without it! Its not just college age kids either. I think it's more middle aged people than kids. Don't knock Mizzou! Those are my colors! I don't have any or wear any gear tho.

Are they done with sky harbor yet, last time I was there it was a mess.
I'm 62, which I hope is still considered middle aged, and I do wear my Jayhawk gear, but ONLY on days when there's a basketball game.

Old 05-26-2017, 10:28 AM

404 posts, read 457,041 times
I went to Center High. It was not bad at all. I feel I'm well educated and now have a great career. If I ever move back to kc, the only suburban place I would live is Brookside. You can raise kids there. I have many friends that do.

Old 05-26-2017, 10:59 AM

13,721 posts, read 19,254,280 times
I personally see Mizzou gear everywhere and the colors are so ugly. Not a fan of black and gold/yellow. Meanwhile, KU's enrollment is up and Mizzou's is way down.

Old 05-27-2017, 01:47 PM

112 posts, read 99,729 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by luzianne View Post
I personally see Mizzou gear everywhere and the colors are so ugly. Not a fan of black and gold/yellow. Meanwhile, KU's enrollment is up and Mizzou's is way down.
How does every thread devolve into a KS v. MO thread? Sheesh (I realize you didn't start it).

Old 05-27-2017, 07:57 PM

767 posts, read 1,322,178 times
The majority of the people in JoCo don't think their districts are the only district that is worthwhile in the city, and if you think that, you're really out of touch when it comes to what Overland Park south of 435 thinks of itself and the other suburbs north of 435, and what a lot of people in those areas think about Olathe. Every time I'm in JoCo I hear people talk about how awful the Shawnee Mission Schools have gotten and how Olathe North . Heck, the regional name for Trail Ridge Middle School in Shawnee is "Jail Ridge." Also, in my interactions with the people of the wealthy parts of Lee's Summit, I've come to find that they find themselves superior to Kansas and most of the Missouri side of the metro and they were quite in my face about it as well even though I live in another part of the state, but you don't see me on here bashing Lee's Summit and the uppity groups from there I've had to deal with from over the years. It's not like Kansans shouldn't be proud of Blue Valley or Sumner because they've proven themselves to be top tier schools again and again and no one is denying that the Kansas side of the metro also has the KCK and Leavenworth districts on the opposite end of the spectrum.

LS Residents: "So where did you say you're from again?"
Me: "I drove here from Garden City, Kansas, down in the Southwest Corner of the state and around an hour from Colorado and Oklahoma."
LS Residents: "Oh... We don't like Johnson County. Well, I mean Johnson County DOES have Oak Park Mall, I'll give you that."
Me: "Like I just said, I drove here from 5+ hours away from the other corner of the state. I'm not interested in discussing your state line drama."

Can anyone come up with a statistic on the percentage of threads on here that were started as Kansas bashing threads, or were locked because they quickly evolved into one, and then derive the percentage of them started by KCMO from that data? I mean, it honesty looks like almost every new thread that is started here anymore was solely created to bash Kansas, or someone comes in and steers the thread in that direction within the first five posts.

Old 05-27-2017, 07:58 PM

767 posts, read 1,322,178 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by empires228 View Post
The majority of the people in JoCo don't think their districts are the only district that is worthwhile in the city, and if you think that, you're really out of touch when it comes to what Overland Park south of 435 thinks of itself and the other suburbs north of 435, and what a lot of people in those areas think about Olathe. Every time I'm in JoCo I hear people talk about how awful the Shawnee Mission Schools have gotten and how Olathe North . Heck, the regional name for Trail Ridge Middle School in Shawnee is "Jail Ridge." Also, in my interactions with the people of the wealthy parts of Lee's Summit, I've come to find that they find themselves superior to Kansas and most of the Missouri side of the metro and they were quite in my face about it as well even though I live in another part of the state, but you don't see me on here bashing Lee's Summit and the uppity groups from there I've had to deal with from over the years. It's not like Kansans shouldn't be proud of Blue Valley or Sumner because they've proven themselves to be top tier schools again and again and no one is denying that the Kansas side of the metro also has the KCK and Leavenworth districts on the opposite end of the spectrum.

LS Residents: "So where did you say you're from again?"
Me: "I drove here from Garden City, Kansas, down in the Southwest Corner of the state and around an hour from Colorado and Oklahoma."
LS Residents: "Oh... We don't like Johnson County. Well, I mean Johnson County DOES have Oak Park Mall, I'll give you that."
Me: "Like I just said, I drove here from 5+ hours away from the other corner of the state. I'm not interested in discussing your state line drama."

Can anyone come up with a statistic on the percentage of threads on here that were started as Kansas bashing threads, or were locked because they quickly evolved into one, and then derive the percentage of them started by KCMO from that data? I mean, it honesty looks like almost every new thread that is started here anymore was solely created to bash Kansas, or someone comes in and steers the thread in that direction within the first five posts.

Quote:
Originally Posted by luzianne View Post
KU and Kstate are in the news for declining enrollment all the time. Mizzou had a worse decline, but KU isn't doing too hot either.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DallastoChicagotoKC View Post
How does every thread devolve into a KS v. MO thread? Sheesh (I realize you didn't start it).
This one didn't devolve. This one started as one.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Kansas City