U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Kansas City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 05-27-2017, 09:25 PM
 
112 posts, read 61,893 times
Reputation: 90

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by empires228 View Post
KU and Kstate are in the news for declining enrollment all the time. Mizzou had a worse decline, but KU isn't doing too hot either.



This one didn't devolve. This one started as one.
Agreed. I tried to delete my post, and it won't let me. It won't let me edit it either. Not sure why.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 05-27-2017, 09:52 PM
 
Location: Pittsburgh PA
401 posts, read 300,064 times
Reputation: 426
Quote:
Originally Posted by empires228 View Post
The majority of the people in JoCo don't think their districts are the only district that is worthwhile in the city, and if you think that, you're really out of touch when it comes to what Overland Park south of 435 thinks of itself and the other suburbs north of 435, and what a lot of people in those areas think about Olathe. Every time I'm in JoCo I hear people talk about how awful the Shawnee Mission Schools have gotten and how Olathe North . Heck, the regional name for Trail Ridge Middle School in Shawnee is "Jail Ridge." Also, in my interactions with the people of the wealthy parts of Lee's Summit, I've come to find that they find themselves superior to Kansas and most of the Missouri side of the metro and they were quite in my face about it as well even though I live in another part of the state, but you don't see me on here bashing Lee's Summit and the uppity groups from there I've had to deal with from over the years. It's not like Kansans shouldn't be proud of Blue Valley or Sumner because they've proven themselves to be top tier schools again and again and no one is denying that the Kansas side of the metro also has the KCK and Leavenworth districts on the opposite end of the spectrum.

LS Residents: "So where did you say you're from again?"
Me: "I drove here from Garden City, Kansas, down in the Southwest Corner of the state and around an hour from Colorado and Oklahoma."
LS Residents: "Oh... We don't like Johnson County. Well, I mean Johnson County DOES have Oak Park Mall, I'll give you that."
Me: "Like I just said, I drove here from 5+ hours away from the other corner of the state. I'm not interested in discussing your state line drama."

Can anyone come up with a statistic on the percentage of threads on here that were started as Kansas bashing threads, or were locked because they quickly evolved into one, and then derive the percentage of them started by KCMO from that data? I mean, it honesty looks like almost every new thread that is started here anymore was solely created to bash Kansas, or someone comes in and steers the thread in that direction within the first five posts.
Umm. Missouri is superior to Kansas in every way.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-28-2017, 04:09 AM
 
Location: SF Bay Area
7,645 posts, read 5,638,332 times
Reputation: 7496
Quote:
Originally Posted by empires228 View Post
The majority of the people in JoCo don't think their districts are the only district that is worthwhile in the city, and if you think that, you're really out of touch when it comes to what Overland Park south of 435 thinks of itself and the other suburbs north of 435, and what a lot of people in those areas think about Olathe. Every time I'm in JoCo I hear people talk about how awful the Shawnee Mission Schools have gotten and how Olathe North . Heck, the regional name for Trail Ridge Middle School in Shawnee is "Jail Ridge." Also, in my interactions with the people of the wealthy parts of Lee's Summit, I've come to find that they find themselves superior to Kansas and most of the Missouri side of the metro and they were quite in my face about it as well even though I live in another part of the state, but you don't see me on here bashing Lee's Summit and the uppity groups from there I've had to deal with from over the years. It's not like Kansans shouldn't be proud of Blue Valley or Sumner because they've proven themselves to be top tier schools again and again and no one is denying that the Kansas side of the metro also has the KCK and Leavenworth districts on the opposite end of the spectrum.

LS Residents: "So where did you say you're from again?"
Me: "I drove here from Garden City, Kansas, down in the Southwest Corner of the state and around an hour from Colorado and Oklahoma."
LS Residents: "Oh... We don't like Johnson County. Well, I mean Johnson County DOES have Oak Park Mall, I'll give you that."
Me: "Like I just said, I drove here from 5+ hours away from the other corner of the state. I'm not interested in discussing your state line drama."

Can anyone come up with a statistic on the percentage of threads on here that were started as Kansas bashing threads, or were locked because they quickly evolved into one, and then derive the percentage of them started by KCMO from that data? I mean, it honesty looks like almost every new thread that is started here anymore was solely created to bash Kansas, or someone comes in and steers the thread in that direction within the first five posts.
I don't think anyone can put a number on it, but the percentage is high....and has been for 10 years.

I originally signed up at CD as part of my investigation of Idaho for possible relocation. Naturally, having previously lived in the KC area for 11 years, I looked in on this forum and could barely believe what I saw - nearly 10 years ago. This forum had already been hijacked and converted from its intended purpose into a virtual military outpost from which attacks on Kansas, especially JoCo, were launched almost daily.

Though the relentless attacks have one and only one source, after a while some echos started to be heard here. kcmo wannabes. They would vanish as surely as all echos do without an original source.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-28-2017, 10:22 AM
 
482 posts, read 216,179 times
Reputation: 1182
Quote:
Originally Posted by empires228 View Post
LS Residents: "So where did you say you're from again?"
Me: "I drove here from Garden City, Kansas, down in the Southwest Corner of the state and around an hour from Colorado and Oklahoma."
LS Residents: "Oh... We don't like Johnson County. Well, I mean Johnson County DOES have Oak Park Mall, I'll give you that."
Me: "Like I just said, I drove here from 5+ hours away from the other corner of the state. I'm not interested in discussing your state line drama."
LOL. This is hilarious. And no, I'm not doubting that it probably happens more often than it should, which is never.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrownVic95 View Post
I originally signed up at CD as part of my investigation of Idaho for possible relocation. Naturally, having previously lived in the KC area for 11 years, I looked in on this forum and could barely believe what I saw - nearly 10 years ago. This forum had already been hijacked and converted from its intended purpose into a virtual military outpost from which attacks on Kansas, especially JoCo, were launched almost daily.

Though the relentless attacks have one and only one source, after a while some echos started to be heard here. kcmo wannabes. They would vanish as surely as all echos do without an original source.
It's interesting to hear your perspective. I'll share a little more of mine.

I know I've posted some things that may give people the impression I'm anti-Kansas or anti-Johnson County. That's not the case at all. The thing is, I'm a bit of an amateur writer (or I try to be) and I feel that keeping things as authentic as possible is the way to go. Authentic means sharing the good, the bad, and the ugly about everything as much as possible. I don't think I could give a truly honest account of my experiences in the metro without at least mentioning the MO vs KS dynamic and sharing possibly unflattering details about both sides.

That being said, I no longer have a dog in the fight, so to speak, and I don't plan on wading any further into that debate. I think it's clear you and I are on different sides of some issues, but I would never join a forum just to troll my hometown, or any specific community within my hometown. I come in peace.

Both sides of the metro are inextricably tied to one another, so I believe it'd be best if they started behaving as siblings rather than as enemies. Siblings will fight among themselves, but promptly join ranks when outsiders try to wade into the battle. Likewise it's fine if a KC resident prefers one community to another, but to disparage other communities within the metro to outsiders and to actively discourage investment in those communities -- that's troublesome and it harms the area overall.

As a side note, I actually really enjoy a lot of kcmo's posts because he's very knowledgeable about many things. If you look just beneath his obvious frustration, I think he often has very good ideas, fwiw.

Ciao!

Last edited by dallasgoldrush; 05-28-2017 at 11:14 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-28-2017, 12:01 PM
 
Location: Washington, DC area
10,705 posts, read 18,493,517 times
Reputation: 5409
Quote:
Originally Posted by dallasgoldrush View Post
Both sides of the metro are inextricably tied to one another, so I believe it'd be best if they started behaving as siblings rather than as enemies. Siblings will fight among themselves, but promptly join ranks when outsiders try to wade into the battle. Likewise it's fine if a KC resident prefers one community to another, but to disparage other communities within the metro to outsiders and to actively discourage investment in those communities -- that's troublesome and it harms the area overall.
Exactly. I have no problem admitting that I start a lot of threads about these topics. However, my only goal has always been to point out these things simply because of how much these practices have effected the metro in a negative way.

People with ties to Kansas (even passive people that don't really care about this topic or don't have a superiority attitude) are FAR more likely to not see my point of view because they just don't see these issues from non Kansan point of view.

No matter how you twist it. JoCo (and Kansas in general) has done a great deal of harm to KCMO. Even though every metro deals with aggressive competitive suburbs, what has gone on in KC over the past several decades is in a league of its own.

I have actually supported JoCo when they propose sustainable development that is not supported by hurting another part of the metro. I have recommended the area to people relocating to the metro when the it fits the persons needs (generally when people are working there AND are wanting a traditional suburban lifestyle.)

I would never say to a person that is working at the Sprint Campus that the SM or Olathe schools are bad and you better look at Lee's Summit or Blue Springs. That is basically what is happening to the people looking to buy in Blue Springs and will be working probably at the SKC Cerner complex. They are not CEO's. They probably can't afford Hallbrook and people that think Blue Valley doesn't have just as many social problems as SM, Olathe, LS, BS are living in under a rock.

I have loudly supported redeveloping KCK. The REAL KCK, not the rural bonner springs side of KCK. I have even stated many times that I would support a negative impact to KCMO for a KCK gain so long as it's a redevelopment project. I would have actually been fine with the dairy farmers project leaving KCMO's Northland for downtown KCK. That's what incentives are supposed to be for. I was just as upset with the EPA leaving Downtown KCK for Lenexa as I was with AMC leaving downtown KCMO for Leawood. It's not a KS vs MO thing. It's a JoCo vs the rest of the metro thing.

JoCo and now under Brownback, Kansas in general, has a LONG history of treating KCMO as nothing more than low hanging fruit. Poaching jobs from KCMO seems to be the only way the Kansas side is able to add jobs. It's ironic that the MO side has been adding 4 times the jobs as the Kansas side for many years now and that is despite a lot of companies Kansas has poached over that same time period. That tells me that JoCo which is supposed to be some sort of national suburban oasis can't lure jobs from outside the region even when the state will write blank checks to anybody that's interested.

JoCo needs to stop being a competitor and work with KCMO, Jackson, Clay, Platte and even Wyandotte County.

And CrownVic95 you are out of line accusing me of creating "echo" accounts. I have plenty of people that back me up. They just are not as passionate about it I guess. Most people I know that think like myself and are born and raised in KCMO have moved on to other cities. I have too, but I have not given up on KC.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-28-2017, 02:01 PM
 
Location: SF Bay Area
7,645 posts, read 5,638,332 times
Reputation: 7496
Quote:
Originally Posted by kcmo View Post
Exactly. I have no problem admitting that I start a lot of threads about these topics. However, my only goal has always been to point out these things simply because of how much these practices have effected the metro in a negative way.

People with ties to Kansas (even passive people that don't really care about this topic or don't have a superiority attitude) are FAR more likely to not see my point of view because they just don't see these issues from non Kansan point of view.

No matter how you twist it. JoCo (and Kansas in general) has done a great deal of harm to KCMO. Even though every metro deals with aggressive competitive suburbs, what has gone on in KC over the past several decades is in a league of its own.

I have actually supported JoCo when they propose sustainable development that is not supported by hurting another part of the metro. I have recommended the area to people relocating to the metro when the it fits the persons needs (generally when people are working there AND are wanting a traditional suburban lifestyle.)

I would never say to a person that is working at the Sprint Campus that the SM or Olathe schools are bad and you better look at Lee's Summit or Blue Springs. That is basically what is happening to the people looking to buy in Blue Springs and will be working probably at the SKC Cerner complex. They are not CEO's. They probably can't afford Hallbrook and people that think Blue Valley doesn't have just as many social problems as SM, Olathe, LS, BS are living in under a rock.

I have loudly supported redeveloping KCK. The REAL KCK, not the rural bonner springs side of KCK. I have even stated many times that I would support a negative impact to KCMO for a KCK gain so long as it's a redevelopment project. I would have actually been fine with the dairy farmers project leaving KCMO's Northland for downtown KCK. That's what incentives are supposed to be for. I was just as upset with the EPA leaving Downtown KCK for Lenexa as I was with AMC leaving downtown KCMO for Leawood. It's not a KS vs MO thing. It's a JoCo vs the rest of the metro thing.

JoCo and now under Brownback, Kansas in general, has a LONG history of treating KCMO as nothing more than low hanging fruit. Poaching jobs from KCMO seems to be the only way the Kansas side is able to add jobs. It's ironic that the MO side has been adding 4 times the jobs as the Kansas side for many years now and that is despite a lot of companies Kansas has poached over that same time period. That tells me that JoCo which is supposed to be some sort of national suburban oasis can't lure jobs from outside the region even when the state will write blank checks to anybody that's interested.

JoCo needs to stop being a competitor and work with KCMO, Jackson, Clay, Platte and even Wyandotte County.

And CrownVic95 you are out of line accusing me of creating "echo" accounts. I have plenty of people that back me up. They just are not as passionate about it I guess. Most people I know that think like myself and are born and raised in KCMO have moved on to other cities. I have too, but I have not given up on KC.
I didn't accuse you of creating "echo" accounts. What I'm saying is that you are a Pied Piper.

You post hatred of all things JoCo and Kansas and bring more of it out of the woodwork. You build a large bandwagon, and the echos are those that jump on it, follow your lead, try to mimic your every thought, and make you proud. Sometimes they get a little pat on the head and I'm sure it makes their day. They are folks that couldn't begin to lead the charge you began long ago, but enjoy a role in the background cheering you on.

I agree with dallasgoldrush that you are very knowledgeable about many things....and I've said that before. And I don't think there's anyone here who would argue that point. Take out all the hate speech posted in the last 10 years, and the annoyance generated by it, and your rep would be 20,000.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-28-2017, 06:24 PM
 
1,298 posts, read 983,095 times
Reputation: 658
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrownVic95 View Post
Though the relentless attacks have one and only one source, after a while some echos started to be heard here. kcmo wannabes. They would vanish as surely as all echos do without an original source.
Sounds like CrownVic is talking about me. However, I didn't vanish. It just looks to him like I did, because he blocked me. And since he does this routinely, I don't think CrownVic is terribly qualified to talk about the nature of what gets posted on this forum.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-28-2017, 07:19 PM
 
12,607 posts, read 14,609,308 times
Reputation: 14096
Quote:
Originally Posted by rwiksell View Post
Sounds like CrownVic is talking about me. However, I didn't vanish. It just looks to him like I did, because he blocked me. And since he does this routinely, I don't think CrownVic is terribly qualified to talk about the nature of what gets posted on this forum.
He didn't say you vanished. He said if kcmo stopped posting, you would vanish.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-29-2017, 06:29 AM
 
1,298 posts, read 983,095 times
Reputation: 658
Quote:
Originally Posted by luzianne View Post
He didn't say you vanished. He said if kcmo stopped posting, you would vanish.
OK, I see it. His verb tense was confusing.

However, my main point is that, if I did vanish, CrownVic wouldn't know it, since he can't see what I post anyway.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-29-2017, 11:21 AM
 
12,607 posts, read 14,609,308 times
Reputation: 14096
Quote:
Originally Posted by rwiksell View Post
OK, I see it. His verb tense was confusing.

However, my main point is that, if I did vanish, CrownVic wouldn't know it, since he can't see what I post anyway.
I don't think he cares.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Kansas City
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top