U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Kansas City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-22-2017, 08:46 PM

10 posts, read 8,868 times

Advertisements

I'm from California, and I don't want to burst your bubbles, but people outside the area think of all of you as KC.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-25-2017, 12:50 AM

8 posts, read 2,394 times
Just about every person in the free world thinks if you live in Kansas City, you live in Kansas.

As a LS resident, I get highly offended. It's a knee jerk reaction; I have nothing against Kansas.

I work at a large, corporate HQ in downtown KC and I hear trash talk on both sides of of the line. It comes down to one thing for me:

It's Kansas and Missouri; like one is better than the other?

Old 10-25-2017, 08:53 AM

10,705 posts, read 18,498,983 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChenBokChoy View Post
It's Kansas and Missouri; like one is better than the other?
When it comes to cities, yes. One does not even compare to the other. KCMO is in Missouri. Kansas has KCK. Big difference.

When it comes to suburbs, there is not much of a difference. Both sides of KC have quality suburbs.

Old 10-25-2017, 03:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kcmo View Post
When it comes to cities, yes. One does not even compare to the other. KCMO is in Missouri. Kansas has KCK. Big difference.

When it comes to suburbs, there is not much of a difference. Both sides of KC have quality suburbs.

You're not a fan of The Dotte? Why?

I mean the state as a whole. I mean, who cares if someone is from Kansas or Missouri. Apparently the only people that can tell the difference between the two states are those of us that live by the state line.

Old 10-25-2017, 03:48 PM

10,705 posts, read 18,498,983 times
Quote:

I mean the state as a whole. I mean, who cares if someone is from Kansas or Missouri. Apparently the only people that can tell the difference between the two states are those of us that live by the state line.
I actually like KCK. I guess because it's so real or authentic. I have always pushed for development in KCK rather than JoCo. At least subsidized development. Imagine what something like Amazon would do for Downtown KCK.

I don't really claim to be from Missouri any more than I claim to be not from Kansas. I'm from KC, but I'm not from Kansas. If that makes sense.

KC has its own thing going on and it's very independent from both MO and KS, especially politically.

Last edited by kcmo; 10-25-2017 at 04:07 PM..

Old 10-25-2017, 03:59 PM

It's a different world once you cross the river from KCMO. I used to work at City Center Square and would go to Dollar General in KCK on lunch. It's so warehousey in KCK.

You idea to put the money in KCK makes sense, but I do admit to loving the ability to hit 150 Hwy and zip on up to Leawood to shop.

Old 10-26-2017, 06:41 AM

1,298 posts, read 983,604 times
Quote:

I could be wrong about this, but even people on the coasts can tell the difference between Missouri and Kansas. Missouri evokes images of the St Louis Arch, pro sports teams, Ozark Mountains, big rivers, Mark Twain, etc. Kansas is more about Wheat farms and Dorothy. Those are pretty different.

Not to say that these stereotypes are really useful or meaningfully true. It's just that you have two different brand images going on, and that counts for something.

Old 10-26-2017, 09:09 AM

402 posts, read 300,330 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rwiksell View Post
I could be wrong about this, but even people on the coasts can tell the difference between Missouri and Kansas. Missouri evokes images of the St Louis Arch, pro sports teams, Ozark Mountains, big rivers, Mark Twain, etc. Kansas is more about Wheat farms and Dorothy. Those are pretty different.

Not to say that these stereotypes are really useful or meaningfully true. It's just that you have two different brand images going on, and that counts for something.
Exactly.

Old 10-26-2017, 10:21 AM

12,607 posts, read 14,613,304 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rwiksell View Post

Yeah, you're wrong. People outside of the area think Wizard of Oz = Kansas City = Kansas. They think the pro sports teams are in KANSAS. Obama even said he was in KANSAS before he was elected when he was on live TV sitting in a house in KCMO. And he's from Chicago; you'd think he would know the difference. People outside the area don't know or care about any differences. Kansas and Missouri both are nothingness to people on the coasts. I was born in Missouri, partly raised in Missouri, half my ancestors inhabited the Ozarks since 1830 and still do, and yet I prefer Kansas. But I know outsiders don't see a difference between the two.

Old 10-26-2017, 11:43 AM

402 posts, read 300,330 times
Kansas City=only Kansas to people outside of KC. Missouri does not even come into the thought process when people think of KC.

People seem to know that Missouri is metro st Louis or Rivers or Ozarks or Branson but KC does not come up.

Kansas = boring, flat,deep red state etc. and Kansas City.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Kansas City