U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Kansas City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 10-26-2017, 12:24 PM
 
1,298 posts, read 984,909 times
Reputation: 658

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by luzianne View Post
Yeah, you're wrong. People outside of the area think Wizard of Oz = Kansas City = Kansas. They think the pro sports teams are in KANSAS. Obama even said he was in KANSAS before he was elected when he was on live TV sitting in a house in KCMO. And he's from Chicago; you'd think he would know the difference. People outside the area don't know or care about any differences. Kansas and Missouri both are nothingness to people on the coasts. I was born in Missouri, partly raised in Missouri, half my ancestors inhabited the Ozarks since 1830 and still do, and yet I prefer Kansas. But I know outsiders don't see a difference between the two.
You're missing the point AGAIN. I wasn't talking about KC at all. I was simply comparing the reputations of the two states.

For example, when I say "pro sports teams" I'm including the Cardinals and the Blues. I guarantee nobody thinks they're in Kansas.

And if Obama was in a private house in KCMO, it would be pretty easy to mistakenly think he was in Kansas. I dare you to tell the difference if you're sitting in someone's living room after being chauffeured around all day. (Edit: if you're referring to this article, his mistake was thinking that he was in St. Louis, not Kansas.) Obama is too smart and too midwestern to not know that the big Kansas City is in Missouri. Also, his mom was from Kansas.

So yeah, I'm sure there's a good chunk of coast-dwellers who don't know or care about the difference between the two states. But that's because they don't know anything or care about the Midwest in general. To them, Kansas = Missouri = Iowa = Indiana. If that's your point, fine. But anyone who has the slightest inkling about "flyover country" will see a difference.

And again, I'm not talking about state line nuances, or JoCo vs. KCMO. Just Kansas vs. Missouri.

P.S. Do you really prefer the state of Kansas to the state of Missouri, or do you just like JoCo? For instance, would you rather live in Topeka than Columbia? Salina than Rolla? Pittsburgh than Joplin?

Last edited by rwiksell; 10-26-2017 at 12:56 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 10-26-2017, 12:53 PM
 
12,610 posts, read 14,624,496 times
Reputation: 14115
Quote:
Originally Posted by rwiksell View Post
You're missing the point AGAIN. I wasn't talking about KC at all. I was simply comparing the reputations of the two states.

For example, when I say "pro sports teams" I'm including the Cardinals and the Blues. I guarantee nobody thinks they're in Kansas.

And if Obama was in a private house in KCMO, it would be pretty easy to mistakenly think he was in Kansas. I dare you to tell the difference if you're sitting in someone's living room after being chauffeured around all day. (Edit: if you're referring to this article, his mistake was thinking that he was in St. Louis, not Kansas.) Obama is too smart and too midwestern to not know that the big Kansas City is in Missouri. Also, his mom was from Kansas.

So yeah, I'm sure there's a good chunk of coast-dwellers who don't know or care about the difference between the two states. But that's because they don't know anything or care about the Midwest in general. To them, Kansas = Missouri = Iowa = Indiana. If that's your point, fine. But anyone who has the slightest inkling about "flyover country" will see a difference.

And again, I'm not talking about state line nuances, or JoCo vs. KCMO. Just Kansas vs. Missouri.

P.S. Do you really prefer the state of Kansas to the state of Missouri, or do you just like JoCo? For instance, would you rather live in Topeka than Columbia? Salina than Rolla? Pittsburgh than Joplin?
I'm not talking about state line/Johnson County/KCMO either. I'm just saying that to people outside of our area, Kansas and Missouri are the same. And yeah, Iowa, Nebraska, Oklahoma, etc too. Same thing. Yeah, they know the Cardinals and Blues are St. Louis - St. Louis Cardinals. St. Louis Blues. Duh. But the Kansas City teams they think are in Kansas. Yeah, they associate the arch with St. Louis. So? that doesn't mean they think Missouri is some awesome place. I associate the Golden Gate Bridge with San Francisco. Doesn't mean a thing other than I know it's in San Francisco.


I don't know what article you linked to; I haven't been able to open it. I was referring to when I watched him live on TV, not an article many years later.


Pittsburg (no H) and Joplin are about the same and I wouldn't live in either. I'd rather live in Lawrence than Columbia any day. Columbia/Topeka are not comparable. I don't know enough about Salina or Rolla to make a comparison, but doubt I'd live in either of those places because I don't like slower paced places. Even Springfield is too slow paced for me. I like visiting those places, but wouldn't live there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-26-2017, 12:57 PM
 
1,298 posts, read 984,909 times
Reputation: 658
Sorry about the broken link. I fixed it with an edit, but will also include it here: President Barack Obama was a regular visitor to Kansas City | The Kansas City Star
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-26-2017, 01:00 PM
 
1,298 posts, read 984,909 times
Reputation: 658
Quote:
Originally Posted by luzianne View Post
I'm not talking about state line/Johnson County/KCMO either. I'm just saying that to people outside of our area, Kansas and Missouri are the same. And yeah, Iowa, Nebraska, Oklahoma, etc too. Same thing. Yeah, they know the Cardinals and Blues are St. Louis - St. Louis Cardinals. St. Louis Blues. Duh. But the Kansas City teams they think are in Kansas. Yeah, they associate the arch with St. Louis. So? that doesn't mean they think Missouri is some awesome place. I associate the Golden Gate Bridge with San Francisco. Doesn't mean a thing other than I know it's in San Francisco.

I don't know what article you linked to; I haven't been able to open it. I was referring to when I watched him live on TV, not an article many years later.

Pittsburg (no H) and Joplin are about the same and I wouldn't live in either. I'd rather live in Lawrence than Columbia any day. Columbia/Topeka are not comparable. I don't know enough about Salina or Rolla to make a comparison, but doubt I'd live in either of those places because I don't like slower paced places. Even Springfield is too slow paced for me. I like visiting those places, but wouldn't live there.
For the record, I wasn't even trying to say that outsiders think Missouri is an "awesome place". Just that anyone who gives the slightest damn about the Midwest has a pretty different concept of Missouri vs. Kansas.

And you're overthinking the cities comparison. I would rather live in Lawrence than Columbia too. I was just asking you whether you actually preferred the entire state of Kansas over the entire state of Missouri, or if it was just that you love JoCo so much.

Since you say you don't like a slower pace, there really aren't any options for you in Kansas outside JoCo. I'm guessing you'd probably enjoy Lee's Summit better than almost anyplace in Kansas outside your county. I just feel like there are a ton of people in Johnson County who don't care for KCMO, and they use that as a reason to boost Kansas, and bash the entire state of Missouri. (I'll grant that there may be some KU-Mizzou rivalry behind this as well.)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-27-2017, 09:18 AM
 
Location: Hays, Kansas
705 posts, read 824,648 times
Reputation: 638
Quote:
Originally Posted by rwiksell View Post
For the record, I wasn't even trying to say that outsiders think Missouri is an "awesome place". Just that anyone who gives the slightest damn about the Midwest has a pretty different concept of Missouri vs. Kansas.

And you're overthinking the cities comparison. I would rather live in Lawrence than Columbia too. I was just asking you whether you actually preferred the entire state of Kansas over the entire state of Missouri, or if it was just that you love JoCo so much.

Since you say you don't like a slower pace, there really aren't any options for you in Kansas outside JoCo. I'm guessing you'd probably enjoy Lee's Summit better than almost anyplace in Kansas outside your county. I just feel like there are a ton of people in Johnson County who don't care for KCMO, and they use that as a reason to boost Kansas, and bash the entire state of Missouri. (I'll grant that there may be some KU-Mizzou rivalry behind this as well.)
Wichita may lack a professional sports team, but to count Wichita, Lawrence, and Manhattan out as places that can’t offer a busy lifestyle because they’re not in JoCo is ignorance at its finest. Wichita funds and supports a great city music theater program that has exported many alumni to broadway and national tours (the current male lead in the Dirty Dancing tour that I attended is a MTI alum and is far from the only), a good city opera that has brought in big names on many occasions, and a good symphony and Zoo that are both on par with KC’s. Wichita is also doing quite a bit to expand and improve their parks system and is undertaking quite a few beautification projects downtown to prepare for the NCAA tournament. They’re also in the process of revamping their downtown baseball stadium.

Let’s also not forget that there are surburban areas in Lansing and Wyandotte County that are indistinguishable from suburban areas in Jackson and Platte County as well as JoCo.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-27-2017, 10:44 AM
 
12,610 posts, read 14,624,496 times
Reputation: 14115
Quote:
Originally Posted by rwiksell View Post
For the record, I wasn't even trying to say that outsiders think Missouri is an "awesome place". Just that anyone who gives the slightest damn about the Midwest has a pretty different concept of Missouri vs. Kansas.

And you're overthinking the cities comparison. I would rather live in Lawrence than Columbia too. I was just asking you whether you actually preferred the entire state of Kansas over the entire state of Missouri, or if it was just that you love JoCo so much.

Since you say you don't like a slower pace, there really aren't any options for you in Kansas outside JoCo. I'm guessing you'd probably enjoy Lee's Summit better than almost anyplace in Kansas outside your county. I just feel like there are a ton of people in Johnson County who don't care for KCMO, and they use that as a reason to boost Kansas, and bash the entire state of Missouri. (I'll grant that there may be some KU-Mizzou rivalry behind this as well.)


I don't hate the entire state of Missouri and nowhere did I bash the entire state of Missouri. I like Kansas too. I have lived in places in Kansas other than Johnson County, including Wyandotte, Douglas and Miami counties. And I have lived in urban, suburban and rural Missouri. No, I would not prefer Lee's Summit to anywhere in Kansas outside of Johnson County.


There aren't people in KCMO who don't care for Johnson County and use that as a reason to boost Missouri and bash the entire state of Kansas?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-27-2017, 03:08 PM
 
1,298 posts, read 984,909 times
Reputation: 658
Quote:
Originally Posted by luzianne View Post
There aren't people in KCMO who don't care for Johnson County and use that as a reason to boost Missouri and bash the entire state of Kansas?
This is different. Because one of the main reasons KCMO boosters often hate Kansas is the actions of the state government to poach KCMO's businesses. So this will result in a hatred of the state itself, not just JoCo.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-27-2017, 03:54 PM
 
12,610 posts, read 14,624,496 times
Reputation: 14115
Quote:
Originally Posted by rwiksell View Post
This is different. Because one of the main reasons KCMO boosters often hate Kansas is the actions of the state government to poach KCMO's businesses. So this will result in a hatred of the state itself, not just JoCo.
No it is not different. Isn't this thread about Missouri doing the SAME THING - poaching? So saying that it's okay for KCMO boosters to hate Kansas but not vice versa is ridiculous. Personally, though, I don't care about poaching on either side. Whichever side is more attractive to businesses is going to get businesses. It doesn't affect my daily life in any way so I really don't care if businesses decide to locate on the Kansas or Missouri side.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-27-2017, 04:16 PM
 
8 posts, read 5,020 times
Reputation: 19
To address the broader issue - It appears we are fighting something that cannot be won. I don’t know why it is so hard to understand why Missourians, who have at least a little pride in their state, and in their city would not be somewhat taken aback when others think their city is located in another state. It even appears that some on the other side of the state line are not at all interested in helping set the record straight. I can only imagine their reasoning is because they want to be able to claim Kansas City as their own. It does seem that some are taking advantage of circumstances of the last few decades to perpetuate this ownership idea. But obviously this charade is only possible because our city has this name. All of us were born long after Kansas City was established as a large city in Missouri. With that in mind, if I were a Kansan I might wish that KC was in Kansas too, but to do anything more is just a charade…and provocative, and we all know this!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-27-2017, 07:28 PM
 
12,610 posts, read 14,624,496 times
Reputation: 14115
Quote:
Originally Posted by soapboxist View Post
To address the broader issue - It appears we are fighting something that cannot be won. I don’t know why it is so hard to understand why Missourians, who have at least a little pride in their state, and in their city would not be somewhat taken aback when others think their city is located in another state. It even appears that some on the other side of the state line are not at all interested in helping set the record straight. I can only imagine their reasoning is because they want to be able to claim Kansas City as their own. It does seem that some are taking advantage of circumstances of the last few decades to perpetuate this ownership idea. But obviously this charade is only possible because our city has this name. All of us were born long after Kansas City was established as a large city in Missouri. With that in mind, if I were a Kansan I might wish that KC was in Kansas too, but to do anything more is just a charade…and provocative, and we all know this!
Actually, when I'm away from home and someone asks where I live, I tell them the city I live in and then I add that it is a suburb of Kansas City on the Kansas side. I always emphasize that I live on the Kansas side.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Kansas City
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top