Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Kansas City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-17-2017, 11:56 AM

3,325 posts, read 3,476,187 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Okey Dokie View Post
I think Mad A.'s finger slipped on the keyboard...I think he meant 100s not 120s.
Of course I meant 120s! That was back when we walked 20 miles to school through 8 feet of snow, uphill, both ways.

Fact checking myself I was thinking of the summer of 1980. July had 15 days at 100 degrees or higher, many of those days had a heat index over 120. I think that weather fried my memory a bit!

Thankfully summers like that one are rare around here.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-17-2017, 12:05 PM

3,325 posts, read 3,476,187 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vallombrosa View Post
It really sounds like my kind of place. Thanks for the informative reply.

How long does it take to travel from, let's say, a suburb on the east side of Independence to Prairie Village or Westwood KS?
An average of 30-40 minutes, depending on traffic and where you begin and end. I based this estimate from 23rd St. & M-291, which is near the center of the east half of Independence. Your mileage may vary, tax and fees not included.

Old 06-17-2017, 03:48 PM

20,865 posts, read 9,532,948 times
If there isn't much traffic you might even be able to do it in 20 minutes.

Old 06-18-2017, 09:37 AM

71 posts, read 79,852 times
Quote:
It really sounds like my kind of place. Thanks for the informative reply.

How long does it take to travel from, let's say, a suburb on the east side of Independence to Prairie Village or Westwood KS?

About 20-25 minutes, depending on traffic

Old 06-19-2017, 05:57 AM

377 posts, read 569,758 times
OP, I'm a native Californian, 44 years in SoCal, mostly OC and Ventura County, before ending up in KC after a side trip to Seattle. I love the city (I live in KC proper, just barely on the MO side), so I know what it's like to make the switch. What are you after? Where are you in Cali now and what kind of lifestyle are you hoping to find? Maybe I can lend a little expat insight. Peace.

Old 06-26-2017, 02:27 AM

127 posts, read 134,668 times
Thanks to the commenters who responded to my question about travel time.

Pacificwhim, I appreciate your questions. I live in the upper 1/3 of the state, in a small city surrounded by farmland. My "wish list" will probably sound impossible, but here it goes --

I'm looking for a place to semi-retire that is inexpensive (by CA standards), where a home in a decent neighborhood can be had for under $200K.

I'm looking for reasonably low crime where you don't have to live like a hunted animal.

I'm looking for either a small city, or a big city suburb that feels like one.

I'm looking for tolerable winters, a little warmer than the upper midwest.

I'm looking for tolerable summers, cooler than Phoenix and less humid than Houston.

I'm looking for close proximity to classical and bluegrass music scenes (odd combo, I know).

I'm looking for a place where conservative Catholics and other Christians aren't considered weird or extreme.

I'm looking for a place that is supportive of home schooling.

I'm looking for somewhere to escape CA's torrential and overwhelming political correctness.

I'm looking for a place where it is legal to open carry firearms.

I'm looking for a place with a Vietnamese ethnic community somewhere nearby.

I'm looking for a place with decent employment prospects for my children.

Now, I realize that's a tall order and I'm willing to compromise on some things. Or at least I like to think so!

Old 06-26-2017, 02:33 AM

To get even more specific, the one non-negotiable is the ability to live within 30 minutes of a Catholic parish with the traditional Latin Mass. Independence has St. Mary's, Kansas City has Old St. Patrick's and Christ the King, and there is St. Philippine Duchesne in Westwood KS.

Old 06-26-2017, 06:33 AM

1,328 posts, read 1,462,304 times
Quote:
Thanks to the commenters who responded to my question about travel time.

Pacificwhim, I appreciate your questions. I live in the upper 1/3 of the state, in a small city surrounded by farmland. My "wish list" will probably sound impossible, but here it goes --

I'm looking for a place to semi-retire that is inexpensive (by CA standards), where a home in a decent neighborhood can be had for under $200K.

I'm looking for reasonably low crime where you don't have to live like a hunted animal.

I'm looking for either a small city, or a big city suburb that feels like one.

I'm looking for tolerable winters, a little warmer than the upper midwest.

I'm looking for tolerable summers, cooler than Phoenix and less humid than Houston.

I'm looking for close proximity to classical and bluegrass music scenes (odd combo, I know).

I'm looking for a place where conservative Catholics and other Christians aren't considered weird or extreme.

I'm looking for a place that is supportive of home schooling.

I'm looking for somewhere to escape CA's torrential and overwhelming political correctness.

I'm looking for a place where it is legal to open carry firearms.

I'm looking for a place with a Vietnamese ethnic community somewhere nearby.

I'm looking for a place with decent employment prospects for my children.

Now, I realize that's a tall order and I'm willing to compromise on some things. Or at least I like to think so!
This is a tough list, as you admitted. But I'd say your best bet might be in the metro areas of Tulsa or Oklahoma City. Kansas City area might be the better option if the Latin Mass is a must-have. Although it's less conservative and a bit colder than you apparently would prefer. DFW area is more expensive, but worth a look. To try another direction, you might consider Louisville.

Old 06-26-2017, 10:55 AM

7,070 posts, read 16,743,019 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rwiksell View Post
This is a tough list, as you admitted. But I'd say your best bet might be in the metro areas of Tulsa or Oklahoma City. Kansas City area might be the better option if the Latin Mass is a must-have. Although it's less conservative and a bit colder than you apparently would prefer. DFW area is more expensive, but worth a look. To try another direction, you might consider Louisville.
The OPs wish list pretty much describes Louisville to a T, right down to the Vietnamese area and Catholics. Louisville, like KC, is not as conservative as OKC or Tulsa, so you definitely need to look there. Maybe even Little Rock? I cannot think of a single area on the OP wish list that Louisville does not meet except for it can get a bit liberal in areas, but nothing like CA. I also agree with your other recommendations and the OP would be best to consider all options. Probably best to spend a week at an airbnb in each different city.

Last edited by Peter1948; 06-26-2017 at 11:10 AM..

Old 06-26-2017, 12:25 PM

Thanks Rwiksell and Peter1948 for the great suggestions. I've ruled out Tulsa for a number of reasons, but OKC-Edmund is still a contender.

Now Louisville, there's a place I haven't considered yet. Someone told me the humidity was really bad there, so I must've written it off subconsciously. But I'll give it another look. It doesn't have the multiple parish options of the KC metro, which is a huge attraction, but it does have a thriving parish with the Latin Mass in a good central location that doesn't appear to be crime-ridden and with nice affordable homes nearby.

Just curious, of the points I listed, which of these don't apply to Independence, or might be doubtful?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Kansas City