U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Kansas City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Unread 03-11-2008, 06:59 PM

386 posts, read 1,021,872 times
Default What are people in metro Kansas City like?

Conservative....or liberal? Adventurous....or family-centered? Laid back....or super-ambitious? Or....maybe none of the above?

I just want to know what people in Kansas City are like. What makes the people in KC so special...or so not-so-special? How are people there different from a lot of other cities? I'm from Denver and living in St. Louis....so if you could offer any comparisons I would appreciate it......
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Unread 03-11-2008, 07:18 PM

3,156 posts, read 4,328,902 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WestCoDude View Post
Conservative....or liberal? Adventurous....or family-centered? Laid back....or super-ambitious? Or....maybe none of the above?
All of the above, actually. There's a good bit of variety here. As a whole, the people seem to be friendly and polite. Sometimes aloof. Sometimes they talk your ear off in the check out line.
Typical of many places, the city core is more liberal, and the suburbs tend to be conservative.
I've never really been to Denver, but when compared to St. Louis, it doesn't seem that drastically different. There's a strong rural and southern influence around here, but there's also a good bit of cosmopolitan urbanism.
St. Louis seems to have a lot of eastern U.S. traits. KC is on the edge of the western frontier. Although those influences go back over 100 years, you can still see it in the people who's families go back a few generations in the prospective areas.
KC is progressive in many ways. The arts are well supported, we love our sports teams, to a fault... lately, we haven't hesitated to take big leaps to fund various projects all over the area. We hope it doesn't come back to bite us.
We are proud of our suburban schools, and many of them have no problem getting the money they ask for. Some are considered best in the nation. People often move to this area to raise their family. It is very family friendly for a larger city.

I want to avoid any "us vs. them" arguments, but when I moved here, it was a tossup between Kansas City and St. Louis. I've been to St. Louis countless times, and enjoyed it. But I'm glad I chose KC, because it is a good fit for me and my family.

Unread 03-11-2008, 07:38 PM

5,717 posts, read 13,266,087 times
I'm a recent transplant from the east coast. In my experience so far, Kansas City folks are friendly and chatty...if they are from the surrounding rural areas, they are VERY chatty. More conservative than liberal, but not overly so. I would say, very family centered, and less ambitious than what I am used to.

Unread 03-11-2008, 08:09 PM

69 posts, read 168,049 times
Kansas Citians seem to be more accepting of others, courteous (most) and friendly. Many St. Louisans are rude and cliquish, but this is just my opinion and experience.

Unread 03-11-2008, 09:01 PM

549 posts, read 1,680,879 times
Are most people tolerant of other lifestyles (interracial couples, gays, etc.) or is there still that "southern influence" that just doesn't accept this? Just curious...I think that's my only bit of leeriness that lingers about KC...

Unread 03-12-2008, 04:46 PM

5,740 posts, read 5,484,019 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by illini84 View Post
Are most people tolerant of other lifestyles (interracial couples, gays, etc.) or is there still that "southern influence" that just doesn't accept this? Just curious...I think that's my only bit of leeriness that lingers about KC...

I think this city is fairly open-minded. I have a few gay friends that they dont have many issues. I also have a married couple as friends that are interracial and they dont have problems either. Of course, the further you get from the core of the city the less tolerant people seem to get.

Unread 03-12-2008, 04:57 PM

14,768 posts, read 18,604,230 times
The suburbs on the Kansas side can be ridiculously conservative. Some to avoid if you aren't conservative would be Olathe, Gardner, and the far outer suburban areas.
Most of the established suburbs and urban areas are more liberal.
I would say the majority of the metro is far more family centered compared with being ambitious. This generally goes along with being a lot more traditional and conservative, especially in those outer suburban areas.
I think most people in the area are generally laid back and friendly.

Unread 03-12-2008, 05:01 PM

6,720 posts, read 7,656,383 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RjRobb2 View Post
I think this city is fairly open-minded. I have a few gay friends that they dont have many issues. I also have a married couple as friends that are interracial and they dont have problems either. Of course, the further you get from the core of the city the less tolerant people seem to get.
I agree with this. I think KC is as open minded as any major city, but the urban core is much less conservative than the suburbs.

As far as the people? I think KC is about as average as you can get. It's not south or north or east coast or west coast. I'm not even sure you could call it midwest. KC is just average. No accent, people are from everywhere etc.

Unread 03-12-2008, 05:45 PM

14,768 posts, read 18,604,230 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kcmo View Post
I agree with this. I think KC is as open minded as any major city, but the urban core is much less conservative than the suburbs.

As far as the people? I think KC is about as average as you can get. It's not south or north or east coast or west coast. I'm not even sure you could call it midwest. KC is just average. No accent, people are from everywhere etc.
I think in general more people move to KC from larger southern metros compared with other areas based on personal experience.

Unread 03-13-2008, 08:14 AM

8,695 posts, read 10,335,048 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Plains10 View Post
The suburbs on the Kansas side can be ridiculously conservative. Some to avoid if you aren't conservative would be Olathe, Gardner, and the far outer suburban areas.
Most of the established suburbs and urban areas are more liberal.
I would say the majority of the metro is far more family centered compared with being ambitious. This generally goes along with being a lot more traditional and conservative, especially in those outer suburban areas.
I think most people in the area are generally laid back and friendly.
I'd have to agree with that. My parents live in Olathe and it's crazy conservative. Even my own parents tell me I'm going to hell! Seems like lots of nutty churches out there - far right evangelical mega churches, Kay O'Conner, etc. People are friendly, but if you're gay or liberal, you'll probably get the cold shoulder in many KC suburban areas. Urban KCMO is a totally different story - it seems to me that in KC as a whole, urban people keep more to the urban areas and suburban people avoid the urban core. But overall, in both environments people are friendly and laid back.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $74,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Kansas City