Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Kansas City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-25-2017, 04:20 PM

27,169 posts, read 43,857,618 times

Advertisements

I'm looking to start over with sizable savings and relocate to a vibrant, somewhat walkable urban area where finding lucrative work as a waiter in a nicer independent restaurant is a possibility for someone older with extensive experience, versus a college kid. Is downtown Kansas City a good fit considering those criteria as well as reasonable rent (750-800 for a one bedroom)?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-25-2017, 04:38 PM

2,019 posts, read 3,191,211 times
I'd recommend the Country Club Plaza area. I'm in Iowa and think you could do better in KC than in Des Moines, i.e. rent, # of restaurants (noticed you posted same thread there).

Old 08-25-2017, 04:54 PM

20,862 posts, read 9,518,220 times
Yeah, in and around downtown is probably a good fit for you, as long as you're noise tolerant.

Old 08-26-2017, 04:25 AM

27,169 posts, read 43,857,618 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ennaf View Post
I'd recommend the Country Club Plaza area. I'm in Iowa and think you could do better in KC than in Des Moines, i.e. rent, # of restaurants (noticed you posted same thread there).
Quote:
Originally Posted by James Bond 007 View Post
Yeah, in and around downtown is probably a good fit for you, as long as you're noise tolerant.
Thanks for the responses. Des Moines did seem something of a wildcard and had noticed it's downtown was perhaps in earlier stages of attracting residents. I have lived in both Philly and DC in the past so the noise element is something I am somewhat used to. May I ask why Country Club Plaza is your preference over the Downtown area?

Old 08-26-2017, 06:28 AM

1,328 posts, read 1,461,270 times
A 750-800 rent budget would be tight both Downtown and the Country Club Plaza, don't you think?

Old 08-26-2017, 06:35 AM

2,019 posts, read 3,191,211 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rwiksell View Post
A 750-800 rent budget would be tight both Downtown and the Country Club Plaza, don't you think?
True. I'm basing my comments from 3 years ago ($800). Might still be able to find an older studio but I'm not up to date on current rents TBH.

Old 08-26-2017, 07:44 AM

377 posts, read 569,447 times
From my searches, $800 isn't going to get you much today in the Plaza or downtown: a very small studio, that's all. I think ennaf recommended the Plaza because it has a lot more high-end restaurants that would be likely to employ an older, more experienced, more expensive service professional. In either case, they're great areas, but if you can up your budget to $1000 you'll find a lot more choices in either place.

Old 08-26-2017, 09:46 AM

709 posts, read 1,491,947 times
It is pretty easy to live a comfortable, high quality life in KC as a server (especially if you are good at your job and work at the right place). I spent a good amount of time in the restaurant/bar/service industry, although it has been a number of years now and it does seem like rent/cost of living has been rising a brisk pace (not sure if servers' incomes have been keeping up).

I did notice this ranking that just came out that listed KC as the 3# city in the nation for best tippers (although I always take city rankings/lists like this with a grain of salt)

There definitely are older, professional servers out there who do quite well. As to be expected, there are also plenty of college/post-college kids who might work 3 shifts a week and go out partying every night. The mix just depends on the restaurant.

Now as far as which part of KC to live, as others have said, your budget might be tough in Downtown, unless you can qualify for an income-restricted, affordable unit. That is just based on your past income (they can't kick you out if your income goes up), and I believe the cutoff is around $32k.

If you do look Downtown, the Crossroads district (southern edge of Downtown) probably has one of the best collection of nice, independent restaurants in the city. Since you are interested in walkability, the Downtown streetcar (which is free) runs from Union Station through the Crossroads, Downtown CBD, and the River Market (which also has some good restaurants and is a great neighborhood).

Until recently, I wouldn't have put the Downtown area on the top of my list when it comes to walkable, vibrant neighborhoods in KC. It has only recently experience a real surge in residents (rather than just being a business district). Districts like Westport and the Country Club Plaza (and their surrounding neighborhoods) might still have a little more daily vibrance and better walkability than Downtown, although that gap is disappearing. Also, those neighborhoods would have more housing options in your budget.

The Plaza has already been mentioned, and I have heard that servers there can make great money. However, it is a bit lacking in independent restaurants. There are many chains and I think that the local restaurants that do exist there would generally be run in a more corporate style. It might be tricky to find housing in your budget directly on the Plaza, but if you just head a couple blocks out, there will be options.

Westport and 39th St West (in the Volker neighborhood) have a good selection of independent restaurants. The heart of Westport is more of a bar/entertainment district, but there are some good restaurants more on the fringes (for example, Bluestem is one of the best in the city).

All of these areas are within a swath of 5 miles, so it wouldn't be hard to live in one and work in others.

Old 08-26-2017, 11:30 AM

8,975 posts, read 10,201,315 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyle19125 View Post
Thanks for the responses. Des Moines did seem something of a wildcard and had noticed it's downtown was perhaps in earlier stages of attracting residents. I have lived in both Philly and DC in the past so the noise element is something I am somewhat used to. May I ask why Country Club Plaza is your preference over the Downtown area?
CC and the South and West Plazas are going to have slightly cheaper rent than downtown. There are some older buildings in the Plaza where you might find a 1BR for under $1k. But as WiseOwl wisely said, downtown has a number of income restricted units so if you qualify you can get a nice place with a great location for cheap. Not sure what the process is like for those in terms of wait lists or other hoops you have to jump through.

Old 08-26-2017, 04:31 PM

37,409 posts, read 53,543,435 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ennaf View Post
True. I'm basing my comments from 3 years ago ($800). Might still be able to find an older studio but I'm not up to date on current rents TBH.
Yes, I rented a 2BR just shy of 800/mo on the Plaza (46th Terrace and Pennsylvania) , but that was five years ago, and that building isn't even there anymore...and it was a steal even then for where it was. Most of my building was service industry. There are tons of work options for a seasoned server on the Plaza. Fewer independents now than in the past, though.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Kansas City
View detailed profiles of: