U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Kansas City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-26-2017, 06:23 PM

482 posts, read 215,985 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by hales1985 View Post
Am I the only one that thinks this way about Johnson County?
This is a loaded topic, but considering how often people develop this type of impression of many Johnson County residents, the discussion is worth having.

I think kcmo made a good point. With all due respect to joco residents who do not fit the mold, this may as well be a summary of my position on the matter:

Quote:
Originally Posted by kcmo View Post
The reason this is so funny is simply because JoCo is just not all that upscale or special and is certainly not all that sophisticated or modern. Itís still Kansas. Itís the ďbig cityĒ in Kansas and the people there are the affluent snobby people to Kansas, but in reality compared to most other major metros, they are just trying to be something they just are not. Even west county St Louis has a more sophisticated, affluent big city affluent feel to it than JoCo and west county is nothing like the coasts.
I believe I actually have more questions for joco residents than comments on this particular matter. First, is anyone even willing to admit they have a haughty attitude, whether it's towards the rest of the metro or in any other case? I don't want to make assumptions about anyone's mentality, but I do find it hard to believe so many people would develop these negative impressions without it having ever been true in a single case. If it is true for any particular person, why deny it? Why not get get it out there (in the most respectful way possible) and see if it generates a healthy dialogue about ways the metro as a whole can move forward from it and prosper as a unit?

And the bigger question is, even presuming a joco resident has seemingly legitimate reasons to be arrogant towards the rest of the metro (whether due to comparatively greater affluence or better employment opportunities or stronger amenities or better school quality, etc), what difference does it make? In the grand scheme of things there's no extra credit given for being the (arguably) most affluent community in the KC metro. I mean, it's not like Detroit (for example) doesn't have affluent suburbs. For residents of the many more prominent metro areas throughout the country, whether on the coasts or in the Mountain West or in the South or in the Upper Midwest, "It's still Kansas" (borrowing the phrase from kcmo).

This is where I start to question some people's perceptions of their own worldliness. I wonder if having a more national or even global perspective would dilute some of the incentive for the perceived "unfriendliness" of some joco residents. On a national scale Johnson County is not significant at all, because it's attached to a metro that's treading water and steadily declining in "tier". I'm all about neighborhood pride, but I would imagine the best course of action even for those who are die-hard Johnson County would be to participate equally and enthusiastically in the downtown revitalization, because that would be a "rising tide lifting all boats" scenario and would at the same time probably be most beneficial to Johnson County's national stature in the long run.

Again, I mean no disrespect at all. I invite Johnson County residents to enlighten me if I've misunderstood anything about the culture of parts of your community.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-26-2017, 07:17 PM

10,705 posts, read 18,488,746 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dallasgoldrush View Post
On a national scale Johnson County is not significant at all, because it's attached to a metro that's treading water and steadily declining in "tier". I'm all about neighborhood pride, but I would imagine the best course of action even for those who are die-hard Johnson County would be to participate equally and enthusiastically in the downtown revitalization, because that would be a "rising tide lifting all boats" scenario and would at the same time probably be most beneficial to Johnson County's national stature in the long run.
Jesus. Fantastic post. You pretty much just summed up years of my ranting in one tidy little quote. Thank You.

Oh and to get this back on topic. OP. Move the hell out of Olathe. Give KC a chance. I would even look at other parts of JoCo (closer to state line and the further norther the better), but look at the entire metro because there is likely an area that will fit you much better than Olathe.

Old 09-26-2017, 07:22 PM

35,817 posts, read 39,334,463 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hales1985 View Post
I have been living in Johnson County (KC metro- Kansas side) for the last 2 1/2 years and I already want to move again, this time out of state! The locals do not accept people from different states. I grew up in Colorado (as well as west coast) and these people are so closed minded it drives me crazy! My family and I feel like outsiders, especially because we are not religious, we eat super healthy, we travel a lot, and the mother in law lives with us! The day we first moved into our house in Olathe, our neighbors talked to us, just once, just to get information about us. As soon as they heard we moved from out of state they all put a big red X on us and never said hello again! What is wrong with these people! To top it off the crime has gotten so bad in the KC metro area we don't even want to stick out this year! We want to move back to our west coast roots, who actually have personalities and understand us. Why do people have to be so closed minded, personality less to people who have not grown up here. It's so rude!

Am I the only one that thinks this way about Johnson County?
As of this weekend, I've lived in the KC metro for ten years. I moved from another state. I was 30. I lived in the Plaza and Waldo neighborhoods for the first two and a half years, then Lee's Summit for three years, then back to the Plaza for nearly a year, then to Mission, where I've lived for four years (two different houses in that time, same subdivision...about six blocks apart). So, I've done, in the past decade, urban Jackson Co., suburban Jackson Co., and Johnson Co. for fairly comparable stretches of time.

I have always known people to be friendly, and (especially in suburban Jackson and Johnson Counties, where I lived in single family housing with yards, versus apartments), have always had relationships with neighbors that have been polite at worst, friendly at best. I've not been BFFs with every neighbor, but have never had negative neighbor experiences. My neighbors in Mission have always been awesome. So I haven't experienced what you have.

Mission (and various neighboring NE JoCo communities) aren't often considered hotbeds of snobbery, though. It doesn't cop an air of urbane sophistication; it actually focuses on maintaining and continuing to cultivate a small town atmosphere consciously.

Old 09-26-2017, 09:02 PM

482 posts, read 215,985 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TabulaRasa View Post
As of this weekend, I've lived in the KC metro for ten years. I moved from another state. I was 30. I lived in the Plaza and Waldo neighborhoods for the first two and a half years, then Lee's Summit for three years, then back to the Plaza for nearly a year, then to Mission, where I've lived for four years (two different houses in that time, same subdivision...about six blocks apart). So, I've done, in the past decade, urban Jackson Co., suburban Jackson Co., and Johnson Co. for fairly comparable stretches of time.

I have always known people to be friendly, and (especially in suburban Jackson and Johnson Counties, where I lived in single family housing with yards, versus apartments), have always had relationships with neighbors that have been polite at worst, friendly at best. I've not been BFFs with every neighbor, but have never had negative neighbor experiences. My neighbors in Mission have always been awesome. So I haven't experienced what you have.

Mission (and various neighboring NE JoCo communities) aren't often considered hotbeds of snobbery, though. It doesn't cop an air of urbane sophistication; it actually focuses on maintaining and continuing to cultivate a small town atmosphere consciously.
You have a pretty broad experience over a relatively recent time frame, so I think your perspective is quite useful. Are your experiences and perceptions of people in the rest of JoCo similar to your experiences and perceptions of NE JoCo? Is there an unspoken border where the alleged snobbery takes off?

I know this is slightly off-topic, but I'd also be curious how you'd compare the snobbery of some Lee's Summit communities (presuming it even exists) to the alleged snobbery of Central/Southern JoCo? In my experience Lee's Summit snobs (who are of course only a subset of Lee's Summit residents) can certainly be insufferable, but they often seem to draw the line at discarding the central city altogether. They'll still claim Kansas City, MO as their central city when they travel, and will have at least a moderate interest in seeing the city core develop and improve.

My impression is a portion of Johnson County residents have a purely antagonistic attitude towards "Kansas City, Missouri", and believe they could stand on their own without the existence of KC, MO or any other central city (I'd love to be wrong about this).

This is where the attitudes get illogical imho. JoCo has zero chance of becoming St. Paul, Minnesota, for example -- a city major enough to be considered the smaller but roughly equivalent companion to another major city nearby.

Okay, I'm done with my side-bar questions and statements. lol. Sorry.

And OP, I'm sorry you haven't experienced your share of that good ol' KC hospitality. As Tabula pointed out, it's still there in many places. I just don't think it's there everywhere, if that makes any sense.

Old 09-26-2017, 09:08 PM

705 posts, read 822,598 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattks View Post
Joco has a reputation for snobbish people. But, a large percentage of the population is from out of state or from other parts of Kansas so I'd be very surprised they don't accept non locals. I have family in JOCO and they are snobbish, but they are not locals. JOCO is a nice place, but it has a very strong keeping up with the Jones mentality. Compared to similar cities/suburbs it's quite conservative and religious, which is going to be good or bad based on ones own beliefs.
JoCo actually tends to vote rather moderately and Hillary only barely lost the election there. You've got the religious aspect down, though. Several of the Missouri 'burbs and the Leavenworth County 'burbs are far more conservative.

Quote:
Originally Posted by shorman View Post
My spouse also thinks that the fact that we usually speak Spanish when talking to each other and her slight accent are problems for the people that live in flyover country.
I doubt they're judging you for speaking Spanish in public, but you could just have really awful neighbors. Wichita, KCK, Ulysses, Garden City, Dodge City, Liberal, and Emporia all have sizable Hispanic populations with growing populations in Topeka, Junction City, Pratt, Hutchinson, Salina, Hays, Great Bend, Cowley County, and northern JoCo.

Quote:
You have a pretty broad experience over a relatively recent time frame, so I think your perspective is quite useful. Are your experiences and perceptions of people in the rest of JoCo similar to your experiences and perceptions of NE JoCo? Is there an unspoken border where the alleged snobbery takes off?

I know this is slightly off-topic, but I'd also be curious how you'd compare the snobbery of some Lee's Summit communities (presuming it even exists) to the alleged snobbery of Central/Southern JoCo? In my experience Lee's Summit snobs (who are of course only a subset of Lee's Summit residents) can certainly be insufferable, but they often seem to draw the line at discarding the central city altogether. They'll still claim Kansas City, MO as their central city when they travel, and will have at least a moderate interest in seeing the city core develop and improve.

My impression is a portion of Johnson County residents have a purely antagonistic attitude towards "Kansas City, Missouri", and believe they could stand on their own without the existence of KC, MO or any other central city (I'd love to be wrong about this).

This is where the attitudes get illogical imho. JoCo has zero chance of becoming St. Paul, Minnesota, for example -- a city major enough to be considered the smaller but roughly equivalent companion to another major city nearby.

Okay, I'm done with my side-bar questions and statements. lol. Sorry.

And OP, I'm sorry you haven't experienced your share of that good ol' KC hospitality. As Tabula pointed out, it's still there in many places. I just don't think it's there everywhere, if that makes any sense.
It's like I said in my reply. This type of snobbishness is present in every suburb and wealthy urban area in the country. It isn't even confined to just JoCo within the metro. Lee's Summit residents can be just as snotty, their HOA's just as awful and stuck up, and they are often just as vocally against helping KCMO as any other suburbanite. JoCo is just the easiest target to bash because it makes up such a large and established part of suburbia. The residents of Leavenworth and Miami county Kansas as well as Johnson County, Missouri exhibit more of the traits that people associate with JoCo and Lee's Summit residents than the actual residents of those communities.

Old 09-26-2017, 10:11 PM

172 posts, read 98,469 times
I'll offer a different perspective, though I agree with the many comments on the snob factor of newer and wealthier suburbs.

OP, I think your JoCo experiences were amplified by living in Olathe. Anecdotally, I see plenty of people that grow up there and return to raise a family. Living among people that one grew up with is a ripe environment for cliques and closed off friendship circles. Don't get me wrong. I think KC, as a whole, suffers from cliques and can be aloof toward forming deep relationships with outsiders. There's just not enough transplants to break into the many tight-knit groups from high school. I tend to see more of this behavior in the outer ring suburbs, be it Missouri or Kansas.

Avoiding the outer ring suburbs and targeting an urban area (or even inner ring suburb) would help.

Old 09-26-2017, 10:19 PM

10 posts, read 6,472 times
I don't live on the Kansas side of of the metro but I haven't had really any "snobby" experiences with JoCo residents. However, I do resent the fact that when people talk about the KC metro people tend to hype up Johnson County so much but to me, it's just another suburb. Like when people talk about the diversity, quality of living, and especially SCHOOLS, they put Johnson County way higher than the rest of the metro. Compared to the rest of the country though, it's nothing to write home about. Even within the metro, parts of the Northland (where I live), Lee's Summit, Blue Springs, etc are almost just as good for living if not on par. In addition, if the Kansas side of the metro is just as aloof to the improvement of KCMO and rest of the metro as a whole as some people are suggesting, then it's even more upsetting.

Old 09-26-2017, 11:18 PM

35,817 posts, read 39,334,463 times
Quote:
I think you follow the money. There are NE JoCo suburbs that are quite affluent and ones that are predominantly middle class/working class. Snobbery doesn't always follow affluence, but it really doesn't follow comparative poverty.

Quote:
I lived off old downtown Lee's Summit, in the old late 1800s railroad community part of town in a 1915 bungalow, versus in a new subdivision in Lakewood, Longview Farms, etc. I really only knew down-to-earth folks. Lee's Summit is historical!ly interesting, because the part I lived in predates KC.
Quote:
I don't notice that, but it could be due to self selection/the people I choose to be around. I consider myself from Kansas City, in general, despite living in Mission for the past four-ish years.

Old 09-27-2017, 06:53 AM

5,476 posts, read 1,651,715 times
I also moved here from the west coast but do not find people to be any different than anywhere else. My neighbors are just fine.

These kinds of threads are so ridiculous.

Old 09-27-2017, 07:40 AM

2,278 posts, read 704,732 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by empires228 View Post
I doubt they're judging you for speaking Spanish in public, but you could just have really awful neighbors. Wichita, KCK, Ulysses, Garden City, Dodge City, Liberal, and Emporia all have sizable Hispanic populations with growing populations in Topeka, Junction City, Pratt, Hutchinson, Salina, Hays, Great Bend, Cowley County, and northern JoCo.
I live in one of the suburbs of Wichita though, which in hindsight was a mistake. I think we may be the only non white couple in the neighborhood. A few weeks after we bought the house and moved in, the neighbor put up about a dozen Trump signs, could be coincidence or something else is going on.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Kansas City
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or