Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Kansas City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-03-2017, 09:09 PM

13,721 posts, read 19,129,828 times

Advertisements

Did anyone see this video on ESPN? I really enjoyed the years that Marty was in KC and was sad to see him go. I remember the excitement being palpable all over the metro because the Chiefs were winning.
We had Joe Montana and Marcus Allen. Life was good.

The second link - the Schottenheimer Polka. Anyone remember that? It was a fun time to be a Kansas Citian!

Schottenheimer facing life with Alzheimer's - ESPN Video

https://youtu.be/PMIcdi9USGA
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-10-2017, 09:54 PM

Nobody likes/liked/cares about Marty?

Old 10-13-2017, 12:10 PM

11,108 posts, read 23,706,777 times
Sad. Such a debilitating disease. Good guy.

Old 10-18-2017, 05:59 PM

12 posts, read 40,202 times
I saw either this clip or some other one the other day. I cried, watching the parts when his wife would lovingly guide his thoughts when he'd go off course, especially at the end when he teared up & called her his Angel.
I had read several years back about Marty having Alzheimer's. Yep, I remember those early 90's years of being a Chiefs fan, fun times.

Old 10-18-2017, 06:50 PM

37,409 posts, read 53,273,112 times
Being a transplant and having absolutely zero interest, lifelong, in the NFL, no name recognition on my part for this gentleman prior to looking him up.

But, from personal experience, Alzheimer's absolutely sucks, and my heart goes out to others living with it.

Old 10-18-2017, 09:12 PM

18,147 posts, read 25,683,148 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kcmo View Post
Sad. Such a debilitating disease. Good guy.
He is a good guy!

It's sad that he had no super bowl wins in his resume, but Marty built up programs everywhere he went. In two years time he got the Cleveland Browns to the AFC Championship game in 1986, then he did the same thing to the Kansas City Chiefs in 1993, then to the San Diego Chargers in 2006.

On the surface people would say he was a casualty to this because he was a player himself. I'm not sure, though. He was drafted by Buffalo in 1964 but never was a starter, back then the Bills had a great defense in their AFL days of the mid/late 60's. He played just 6 years in the AFL/NFL and then after selling real estate in the Denver area in 1973 he got into coaching and worked up the ladder in the NFL starting with the New York Giants in 1975.

It's sad that he worked for and eventually got fired by two NFL owners who a lot of NFL insiders shook their head at (Alex Spanos with San Diego and Art Modell in Cleveland. And why Redskin owner Daniel Snyder let him go after just one season as the Redskins head coach is a head scratcher to this day. His record as an NFL head coach is 200-128-1 with a .613 winning percentage.

He was always good with the media-always. NFL Films has a lot of 5 and 10 minute interviews with Marty over all things American Football League. And speaking of the media he enjoyed a short stint as a NFL analyzer with ESPN.

As most people know I moderate the pro football sub forum. Through the decades I've got to meet various NFL players and coaches when I lived in the Denver area and our family having season tickets to bronco games for nearly 5 decades. I've been able to talk to former players who think very highly of the coach.

It's sad that he is now suffering from this hideous disease.

Old 10-19-2017, 09:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DOUBLE H View Post
He is a good guy!

It's sad that he had no super bowl wins in his resume, but Marty built up programs everywhere he went. In two years time he got the Cleveland Browns to the AFC Championship game in 1986, then he did the same thing to the Kansas City Chiefs in 1993, then to the San Diego Chargers in 2006.

On the surface people would say he was a casualty to this because he was a player himself. I'm not sure, though. He was drafted by Buffalo in 1964 but never was a starter, back then the Bills had a great defense in their AFL days of the mid/late 60's. He played just 6 years in the AFL/NFL and then after selling real estate in the Denver area in 1973 he got into coaching and worked up the ladder in the NFL starting with the New York Giants in 1975.

It's sad that he worked for and eventually got fired by two NFL owners who a lot of NFL insiders shook their head at (Alex Spanos with San Diego and Art Modell in Cleveland. And why Redskin owner Daniel Snyder let him go after just one season as the Redskins head coach is a head scratcher to this day. His record as an NFL head coach is 200-128-1 with a .613 winning percentage.

He was always good with the media-always. NFL Films has a lot of 5 and 10 minute interviews with Marty over all things American Football League. And speaking of the media he enjoyed a short stint as a NFL analyzer with ESPN.

As most people know I moderate the pro football sub forum. Through the decades I've got to meet various NFL players and coaches when I lived in the Denver area and our family having season tickets to bronco games for nearly 5 decades. I've been able to talk to former players who think very highly of the coach.

It's sad that he is now suffering from this hideous disease.

I really would have been happy if he had stayed in KC and finished his career here. I don't think I've ever seen the whole city excited about the Chiefs like they were when Marty was here.

Old 10-23-2017, 11:02 PM

1,034 posts, read 1,081,608 times
I'm not a football fan, and if I was, I would likely be rooting for a team from another city, so I'm not familiar with this man's history with the Chiefs. But so what—Alzheimer's is a horrible, horrible disease and I'm so sad to hear that this man is suffering from it. I looked at his Wiki page and it says that it's slow in progressing and that he's on some experimental treatment that is slowing it even more. I sure hope so. He seems like a good sort of guy. God bless him and his family.

Old 10-24-2017, 02:06 AM

1,805 posts, read 1,457,635 times
Marty brought the Chiefs and their fans out of years of misery. He as head coach and Carl Peterson as general manager turned a moribund franchise around in the last years of the 80's. Marty is probably most responsible for making the Arrowhead experience what it is today. He is best known for an old school smash mouth brand of football called Martyball.

Old 10-30-2017, 11:47 PM

https://www.facebook.com/KansasCityC...5773439128373/
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Kansas City