U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Kansas City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-13-2017, 01:15 PM

10,705 posts, read 18,498,983 times

Advertisements

I have been saying all along that the Lewis and Clark viaduct should be converted to a transit/pedestrian bridge and the interstate re-routed to 670. Modot and Kdot absolutely do not have a clue and even KCMO seems pretty clueless on issues when it comes to modern transportation planning.

Is this the start of something great for KCK?

Mayor asks KDOT to delay I-70 viaduct bridge work | Welcome to Wyandotte Daily!

Quote:
“I want a viaduct that has light rail on it, that’s going to connect us to Kansas City, Mo., in a more organic way,” Holland said. He favors a plan that would be multi-modal and development-focused in its vision.

“I just think the plan is 30 years ago. I don’t think it’s the best plan for the riverfront, for linking the two cities. It might be the best plan for moving the maximum number of cars through Kansas City at high speeds. That’s not my goal. I don’t want to move people through, I want to move people to Kansas City, Kansas,” Holland said.
Well said Mayor Mark Holland

By the way, I rode the bike trail under the Lewis and Clark Bridge while in KC over the summer. Nice trail. It just needs to connect to more places so it makes more sense to use. So much potential with the Kaw and MO rivers there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-14-2017, 08:21 AM

15,294 posts, read 7,149,937 times
A 6 lane pedestrian bridge.

Sure.

Old 10-14-2017, 09:14 AM

2,195 posts, read 2,146,270 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MoNative34 View Post

Sure.
An elevated linear park, with transit, bike and pedestrian walkways. Not so hard to imagine.

Old 10-15-2017, 10:59 AM

Quote:

Sure.
You would only use one of the viaducts, not both. So yea, you would have a park/transit/pedestrian corridor on that bridge. It's not that wide.

Ideally, you would just remove the other viaduct. There is no reason to keep the highway there. I-670 provides plenty of access to Downtown KCK, Fairfax etc. However, if they really wanted to, they could leave the other viaduct in place for local access to Downtown KCK, but they would need to make it more of a parkway, or expressway and re-route I-70 to I-670.

Building a streetcar extension from the river Market to downtown KCK would do more to spark investment in KCK than keeping all those freeways in place ever will.

And KC desperately needs urban recreational infrastructure. KC is 10-20 years behind every single metro area in the country when it comes to urban recreation. I think that's a bigger problem effecting quality of life in KC than the airport and there is very little in the pipeline to address that issue. That's why this large projects like Broadway Bridge, North Loop and Lewis & Clark are so important and need to be thought through much more or Modot and Kdot will just continue doing what they have been doing for decades. Moving cars and that's it, with no consideration taken for anything else.

Old 10-15-2017, 11:10 AM

I took this pic while in KC over the summer. It was so nice to see people using Berkley Riverfront Park. Usually when I visit KC, the park is totally empty. It's only like a mile long though. The downtown population boom needs much more of this kind of thing. I think if KC builds up recreational infrastructure, people will use it. People will come from all over the metro to use riverfront trails, river crossings etc., just like they do in every other large metro area.

Old 10-15-2017, 11:53 AM

15,294 posts, read 7,149,937 times
I completely agree with you about 670. I've said before that the L&C should be removed. 670 makes it redundant, confuses peope passing through (who don't know 670 goes to the same place), sharp curves, maintenance, etc. Tear it down. That would be the worst place for a pedestrian bridge that overlooks the stinky poop treatment plant, halfway house, salvage yards and warehouse roofs... Not appealing.

I love the outdoors. I've been to almost all of outdoor attractions. They have one thing in common... They're mostly devoid of people in comparison to other parts of the country I've lived in. No amount of new trails are going to change the culture. Sure theres a small segment of people that get out, but by and large... No. Oftentimes, what we would like things to be just don't match what just is.

Old 10-15-2017, 12:19 PM

Quote:
I completely agree with you about 670. I've said before that the L&C should be removed. 670 makes it redundant, confuses peope passing through (who don't know 670 goes to the same place), sharp curves, maintenance, etc. Tear it down. That would be the worst place for a pedestrian bridge that overlooks the stinky poop treatment plant, halfway house, salvage yards and warehouse roofs... Not appealing.

I love the outdoors. I've been to almost all of outdoor attractions. They have one thing in common... They're mostly devoid of people in comparison to other parts of the country I've lived in. No amount of new trails are going to change the culture. Sure theres a small segment of people that get out, but by and large... No. Oftentimes, what we would like things to be just don't match what just is.
Well, the smell is an issue. As I mentioned before, I rode the trail under the lewis and clark over the summer. I rode from river market to KCK and then back to KCK via 12th Street viaduct and then stayed in KCMO after that. The smell right about when you cross into Kansas is nearly unbearable. Maybe that can be addressed.

You may be right, I don't know. I still don't get why people totally ignore the Brush Creek waterway trails. I know people think it smells, but it doesn't unless it's after a very heavy rain or something. Even the parts west of Troost are pretty much ignored, but the entire corridor is really nice, but almost nobody uses any of it.

All cities have water treatment plants, industrial areas etc. There has to be ways to work around that stuff. Maybe Lewis and Clark won't work because it's just still too industrial, but that does not explain the lack of not having trails along other parts of the KS and MO rivers near downtown. KC is transitioning, people are moving downtown in droves, those people that are moving downtown, would use any trails etc there were built even if the rest of the metro is not all that interested.

I honestly can't think of another city with a metro of over a half million with worse recreational options than KC than maybe Wichita, but even Wichita tried, but everything they did was pretty much ignored and now their riverfront trails are deserted and deteriorating for the most part, at least they were the last time I was there. But again, I think it has more to do with the lack of investment downtown than lack of interest. Very few live or work in downtown Wichita.

I was just in Richmond VA and it's amazing what they have done there and how popular recreation in the city is there. Most cities are more like Richmond now.

Old 10-17-2017, 04:38 PM

12,607 posts, read 14,613,304 times
^^^

It just figures that you would phrase it "the smell about when you cross into Kansas." The stinky poop treatment plant MoNative was referring to is in MISSOURI, not Kansas, and you still have to make a comment about Kansas.

What about the smell in downtown KCMO? If Kansas City REALLY wants to be the city you think it should be, they have to do something about their sewage system crisis. It's horrible, all over the city. People going to and from the Sprint Center don't want to smell sh*t. And that's exactly what you smell. They need to do something about that. And going over the Broadway Bridge you have to hold your breath.

It's just really disgusting the way you say things to put Kansas in a bad light any chance you get.

Old 10-17-2017, 04:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by luzianne View Post
^^^

It just figures that you would phrase it "the smell about when you cross into Kansas." The stinky poop treatment plant MoNative was referring to is in MISSOURI, not Kansas, and you still have to make a comment about Kansas.

What about the smell in downtown KCMO? If Kansas City REALLY wants to be the city you think it should be, they have to do something about their sewage system crisis. It's horrible, all over the city. People going to and from the Sprint Center don't want to smell sh*t. And that's exactly what you smell. They need to do something about that. And going over the Broadway Bridge you have to hold your breath.

It's just really disgusting the way you say things to put Kansas in a bad light any chance you get.
Yea, sure. Downtown KC is fine. I have never smelled sewage walking to the Sprint Center or near the Broadway Bridge. That's a load of BS.

Go ride the trail. Right about when you cross the signage for KCK is where is smells the worst. (for the record, the KCK side of the trail is much nicer than the KCMO side.). I don't know exactly where the smell is coming from, but it's right near state line. I'm sure it's technically from the MO side. But it's about where you cross state line. Sorry if that bothers you. It is what it is and I agree, it needs to be dealt with if they expect people to go to that area for recreation. I don't even know if it can be dealt with.

Oh by the way. Ever ridden the Indian Creek trail? I'm sure have not on the MO side, but guess what?, right after you cross into Kansas, you get a nice whiff of the sewage plant in leawood park. It's not near as bad as the smell in the west bottoms though.

Old 10-17-2017, 07:14 PM

12,607 posts, read 14,613,304 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kcmo View Post
Yea, sure. Downtown KC is fine. I have never smelled sewage walking to the Sprint Center or near the Broadway Bridge. That's a load of BS.

Go ride the trail. Right about when you cross the signage for KCK is where is smells the worst. (for the record, the KCK side of the trail is much nicer than the KCMO side.). I don't know exactly where the smell is coming from, but it's right near state line. I'm sure it's technically from the MO side. But it's about where you cross state line. Sorry if that bothers you. It is what it is and I agree, it needs to be dealt with if they expect people to go to that area for recreation. I don't even know if it can be dealt with.

Oh by the way. Ever ridden the Indian Creek trail? I'm sure have not on the MO side, but guess what?, right after you cross into Kansas, you get a nice whiff of the sewage plant in leawood park. It's not near as bad as the smell in the west bottoms though.
No, it is not a load of BS. My husband had to drive over the Broadway Bridge for years and you smell it every time. The water looks like chocolate milk and STINKS.

And I have smelled sewage walking to and from the Sprint Center SEVERAL times and I smelled it the last two times I was there for sure.

It's no secret the KCMO has a sewage system badly in need of repair and they aren't doing anything about it. Maybe they should fix that before they worry about KCI, which is need of a new sewage system itself. You know people call Brush Creek "Flush Creek," right?

Try again.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9rbE9cKRvJc

http://fox4kc.com/2017/05/16/downtow...-infestations/

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-DWic-j8Acw

https://www.justice.gov/opa/pr/kansa...ewer-overflows

http://kcdv.tv/big-muddy-speakers-se...rch/lara-isch/

Last edited by luzianne; 10-17-2017 at 07:32 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Kansas City
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or