Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Kansas City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-21-2008, 08:24 AM

4 posts, read 51,013 times

Advertisements

Hi,
I'm (26 yrs) thinking about relocating to KCMO from mainland Europe. I visited KC
a couple of weeks before and was quite shocked, everything seemed
shabby, old and dead to me.
I'd be happy if any of you could support me in my decision to go there.
Also, being part of the bible belt I imagine KC as not being very gay-friendly... is that true?
Thank for you help!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-21-2008, 09:33 AM

5,812 posts, read 18,831,224 times
If it's shabby, old, and dead, why are you moving there (just curious)?

I don't live in KC, but from my understanding most major cities are gay friendly, even ones in the Bible Belt.

Old 03-21-2008, 09:44 AM

I'm not moving there because of the city but because of great job opportunities. I don't mean to "insult" Kansas City", it was just my first impression.

Old 03-21-2008, 11:15 AM

328 posts, read 1,396,943 times
Default Definitely NO- Not compared to bigger cities

I am a 25 year old gay man who recently lived in Kansas City for 2 Years before relocating to Chicago (finally).

KC does have gay bars, and they do have a gay pride, but it is an extremely cliquey scene. When you go out to the bars and meet people (which is really the only way to do it - they only have a gay chorus and gay bars - even the "gay sports" teams in KC are all the bar employees), they assume you are looking for "something" if you are talking to them.

Here's the facts:
-There are a few gay bars, all of them are in pretty bad shape (except 303 in Westport). You can smoke anywhere in Kansas City, MO, and believe me, they do: almost everyone smokes in them, and you will definitely reek after just an hour there.

-It definitely is a more "blue collar" gay scene. When you do meet other gay people, they usually have blue collar/restaurant types of jobs (which I'm not knocking), but they always gave me crap for having went to college.

-They don't like outsiders. I was not from Kansas City at all, and they definitely turned their nose up at me since I was not from there.

-Pride is awful. They have it setup like an "outdoor concert" in a field, you have to pay to get in, you can't bring in any outside food or beverage, and all you do is stand around and watch people smoke and listen to some music from the main stage.

You WILL be spending all of your time flying to Chicago, Ft. Lauderdale, and other cities that actually have gay communities. Coming from a progressive part of Europe (which I expect you will), you will find that for the most part, you need to hide who you are here.

They thought it was extremely odd that I wasn't married with 3 kids by the time I was 25 in Kansas City. If you tell them your gay, you better pray to god that you are the Missouri Side - I lived on the Kansas Side, and they definitely let it be known that they were NOT gay-friendly.

My advice? Unless your straight, don't live in Kansas City. You will be looked down-upon not only because your gay, but because you are not from there. I recommend New York, Chicago, LA, Miami - those places have vibrant gay scenes.

Good Luck!

Old 03-21-2008, 01:48 PM

12,063 posts, read 31,623,677 times
St. Louis has a much better gay scene. It's still no boystown in Chicago, but it's much more open and fun. Atlanta too has a decent gay community and a giant pridefest!

Old 03-21-2008, 02:06 PM

328 posts, read 1,396,943 times
Default I Heart Boystown!

I live in Boystown and i love it. You can just strut around and be fabulous all day! :-)

Old 03-21-2008, 02:12 PM

12,063 posts, read 31,623,677 times
Do you want to be my new gay best friend in Chicago?

Old 03-21-2008, 03:12 PM

Thank you guys,
guess I'll have to make up my mind...

Old 03-21-2008, 04:21 PM
TGS

360 posts, read 1,721,858 times
I don't know anything about the scene in KC, but I agree that St. Louis and Chicago are gay-friendly. The Chicago area scene is very vibrant and downright fun, whereas the St. Louis scene is more laid-back. You could definitely strut around and be fabulous all day in St. Louis just like in Chicago, though! My neighbors certainly do and no one gives it a second thought! The only couple that gets dirty looks is the lesbian couple that keeps dressing their little girl in flannel shirts, jeans, and black boots. Come on ladies, put something cute on that poor girl!

They seriously have the KC pridefest in a field? Wow. In St. Louis they have a big parade down Grand and then a free party/concert/whatever in Tower Grove Park. It is right by my house and even the neighbors who are eighty years old have started putting out the rainbow flag. Everyone loves it.

Old 03-21-2008, 11:38 PM

13 posts, read 43,307 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TGS View Post
I don't know anything about the scene in KC, but I agree that St. Louis and Chicago are gay-friendly. The Chicago area scene is very vibrant and downright fun, whereas the St. Louis scene is more laid-back. You could definitely strut around and be fabulous all day in St. Louis just like in Chicago, though! My neighbors certainly do and no one gives it a second thought! The only couple that gets dirty looks is the lesbian couple that keeps dressing their little girl in flannel shirts, jeans, and black boots. Come on ladies, put something cute on that poor girl!

They seriously have the KC pridefest in a field? Wow. In St. Louis they have a big parade down Grand and then a free party/concert/whatever in Tower Grove Park. It is right by my house and even the neighbors who are eighty years old have started putting out the rainbow flag. Everyone loves it.
I have been out to the bars in KC once, and they seemed fun. I think St Louis is probably a bit more open though. I do know that KC advertises in St Louis for their gay pride festival.

I live right near the Pridefest area in St Louis as well, and think the gay community here is very laid back and relationship oriented.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Kansas City