Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Kansas City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-20-2018, 04:47 PM

30 posts, read 32,971 times

Advertisements

Al Joad, single men outnumber single and available women 3 to 1 in KC.
This is NOT the place to move to.

• KC for some reason attracts single men from the neighboring farm states; KS, IA, NE, etc that want to move to the big city and choose KC because of the COL and it's close to home.

• There is an abundance of male oriented jobs here in transportation, warehousing, engineering, etc.

• Every guy in KC cheats, so the cheaters are chasing single women here also.
The women here are overweight and average looking, yet have 10-20 guys chasing them constantly.
KC may be the worst place on earth for single men.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-20-2018, 05:03 PM

57 posts, read 153,623 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kcstreetcarfan View Post
Al Joad, single men outnumber single and available women 3 to 1 in KC.
This is NOT the place to move to.

• KC for some reason attracts single men from the neighboring farm states; KS, IA, NE, etc that want to move to the big city and choose KC because of the COL and it's close to home.

• There is an abundance of male oriented jobs here in transportation, warehousing, engineering, etc.

• Every guy in KC cheats, so the cheaters are chasing single women here also.
The women here are overweight and average looking, yet have 10-20 guys chasing them constantly.
KC may be the worst place on earth for single men.
I'll address your points one at a time because I think your comments are interesting but perhaps excessively fear-mongering.

1) Like Jayhawker pointed out about my Memphis stat that I failed to make clear was hyperbolic, ratios of three or four single men per single woman or vice versa are ridiculous. Even military towns top out at about 65/35 men to women.

2) That makes sense theoretically, but do any official stats exists that show this? None of those other states you named have an overabundance of men, at least according to the statistics I've seen. All are about 50/50. If the single men from those places are all moving to KC, what are the single women doing?

3) This might be true. I don't live there yet so I won't speculate. But are there not also lots of jobs in healthcare, education, HR, and other fields that attract women?

4) I find it hard to believe that more men cheat in KC than in a vapid, hedonistic place like South Florida. In chasing women here I've certainly never felt I had stiff competition from married or attached guys macking on the d-low.

5) RE: overweight and average-looking but still hard to get in KC, I can't argue with this based on my POF experience so far. For the sake of research only (or so I told myself), I lowered my standards and emailed a few women I would've immediately swiped left on in South Florida or Nashville. The response from them was only marginally better than from the attractive girls I've been messaging in KC.

Old 03-20-2018, 06:36 PM

13,721 posts, read 19,246,566 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Al Joad View Post

5) RE: overweight and average-looking but still hard to get in KC, I can't argue with this based on my POF experience so far. For the sake of research only (or so I told myself), I lowered my standards and emailed a few women I would've immediately swiped left on in South Florida or Nashville. The response from them was only marginally better than from the attractive girls I've been messaging in KC.
Don't lower your standards. You aren't doing you OR the girls that don't meet your standards a favor.

Old 03-20-2018, 07:38 PM

15,971 posts, read 9,380,725 times
I notice the overweight populace when returning from being out of town for an extended period of time.

That and those hideous butch haircuts.

Old 03-20-2018, 07:43 PM

26,404 posts, read 46,544,081 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MoNative34 View Post
I notice the overweight populace when returning from being out of town for an extended period of time.

The two bad combinations that are horrible for weight gain in the region are BBQ and carb heavy/wheat containing foods everywhere.

Old 03-20-2018, 09:13 PM

7,940 posts, read 9,488,320 times

And the "hair in a bun" thing, over and over again. Yikes, talk about not even trying to be attractive. I'll just stuff it neatly in a bun up on top, and then, to make things worse, I'll wear dark-rimmed glasses, to just accent things a little bit worse.

Ugh. Never mind me, I'm happily married to a girl from Chicago. And she doesn't stuff her hair in a hideous bun!

Old 03-20-2018, 11:23 PM

290 posts, read 346,389 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jayhawker434 View Post
If you are decent looking and have any game you'll do fine to great in KC. LOL at everyone is married at 23, that hasn't been my experience at all, even a little bit. I was 28 and single when I moved to KC and met my now wife when I was 30. I have 35-45 year old single friends today that date and meet new people regularly. It's not going to have the dating scene of Austin or Miami but its still a metro of 2+ million so like I said if you can't find anyone to date its likely a you problem. I'd lived in Phoenix, Houston and St Louis after college and think Phoenix would be the only clearly better singles scene. Maybe Houston but that's just bc of sheer #'s.

I don't know about POF, but if your age bracket is 28-36 on Match you'll do well. I was actually on match when I met my wife at a bar in Westport.

I also disagree about KC being a everyone grew up here type of a place. I went to KU so I have a lot of KU friends here in KC, most of which are from elsewhere. I'd say 75% of everyone in my extended circle of friends in KC is from outside the metro.

My advice would be to live in KCMO or north Overland Park (around Mission or old downtown OP). That's where the better concentrations of young singles will be. The further you are out in the suburbs the more likely you'll be surrounded by married women and divorced/single moms.

eta There is not a 4:1 ratio of single women to single men in Memphis. That's an absurd stat and I'd feel quite comfortable putting KC's nightlife and dating scene up against Memphis.
Some of these posts are ridiculous. Jayhawker's post above is a pretty good encapsulation of this area today. I'm a transplant that's still on the market to say the least, but plenty of my friends I have from KU have met great people and are now engaged in their mid to late 20s. Yes, this is the Midwest and not California where I'm from or certainly Denver across Kansas that has a much greater transplant population and thus in my opinion a greater singles scene. In the end, any place is what you make of it.

Old 03-20-2018, 11:38 PM

37,409 posts, read 53,543,435 times
Personal Anecdote:

My husband and I are both KC metro residents. We met at 35 (me) and 40 (him). First marriage for both.

I'm a transplant who moved here from out of state at 30. My husband grew up in the metro, but had lived elsewhere in the interim due to job. He had just gotten back from about a year working overseas when we met. We did not meet on POF, and it's one platform I've never used, so I can't speak to its quality in KC. While I was single and actively dating, I used both match and okcupid. So did my spouse. I don't have a big aversion to free sites. I just never happened to use POF.

I wouldn't say single people midthirties, early forties are necessarily the most abundant demographic, but they're not incredibly rare, either. One thing you are more likely to run into than not, if it matters, is people in that demographic having at least one earlier marriage under their belt. My husband and I were something of anomalies in that neither of us had a prior marriage. Husband and I are both currently noticing a lot of impending/in process divorces among our peers and colleagues in our same age bracket, in fact (mostly among people who married relatively young), while we ourselves are still comparative newlyweds.

Old 03-20-2018, 11:41 PM

37,409 posts, read 53,543,435 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elkotronics View Post

And the "hair in a bun" thing, over and over again. Yikes, talk about not even trying to be attractive. I'll just stuff it neatly in a bun up on top, and then, to make things worse, I'll wear dark-rimmed glasses, to just accent things a little bit worse.

Ugh. Never mind me, I'm happily married to a girl from Chicago. And she doesn't stuff her hair in a hideous bun!
Wow, you'd hate me. I often wear my hair in a bun, and I wear glasses. But, I also am a former Chicago resident, so I guess I'm good.

Old 03-21-2018, 02:33 AM

12,350 posts, read 9,711,220 times
From what I'm reading here, things sure have changed from 30 years ago when I lived there. The women I encountered every day in Johnson County were, as a group, the most gorgeous I've ever had the pleasure to observe and interact with. I've missed them ever since.

'Course, those of us with higher mileage know full well that things have changed profoundly in 30 years most everywhere throughout the US.

For those who consider KC women unattractive, I suggest spending a month or so in this Bay Area. You'll return with a re-fueled appreciation for what you've got, even today.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Kansas City