Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Kansas City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-21-2018, 06:23 AM

7,940 posts, read 9,488,320 times

Advertisements

TabulaRasa - sorry if that offended you. It's just something I've noticed about women in the KC Metro. It's not ugly, usually it's just...plain. With the BBQ pounds on and the hair in a bun with the Clark Kent glasses it just all adds up to bleh - plain Jane.

Now, if that's fine to guys who are dating, great. If you saw my picture there may very well be something about me that you don't care for, and I understand that. Different strokes for different folks I guess, right?

I would think dating would be easier in KC than Seattle, over on city data Washington in the Seattle threads they're discussing the difficulties dating in Seattle. It's a whole different animal on the West Coast.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-21-2018, 07:23 AM

37,409 posts, read 53,543,435 times
LOL, I'm not offended. I just found it funny.

Old 03-21-2018, 08:06 AM

7,940 posts, read 9,488,320 times
LOL, I'm not offended. I just found it funny.

We Amur-i-cans can be goofy like that, and yes, I am a goofball. Pay me no mind. It just brought to mind something they taught us when we were youngins..."if you can't find anything nice to say about someone, don't say anything at all." Sort of applies here.

I'm glad you're not offended, TabulaRasa!

Old 03-21-2018, 08:15 AM

26,404 posts, read 46,551,112 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TabulaRasa View Post

I wouldn't say single people midthirties, early forties are necessarily the most abundant demographic, but they're not incredibly rare, either. One thing you are more likely to run into than not, if it matters, is people in that demographic having at least one earlier marriage under their belt. My husband and I were something of anomalies in that neither of us had a prior marriage. Husband and I are both currently noticing a lot of impending/in process divorces among our peers and colleagues in our same age bracket, in fact (mostly among people who married relatively young), while we ourselves are still comparative newlyweds.
Based on my experience living in the KC metro area at a younger age, I would say the early marriage issue in the Midwest poses a big problem for both single men and women in the mid 20s to mid 30s age range that have never been married previously. Many people prefer not to deal with all the extra baggage and other issues that go along with those "new" singles that are divorced, having kid(s) from previous relationship or marriage, etc. So, I think those headwinds are worse in the KC metro based on its larger metro population size, but is indicative of the smaller city and outlying social culture being more pervasive in KC compared to other places..

Old 03-21-2018, 08:53 AM

13,721 posts, read 19,246,566 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GraniteStater View Post
Based on my experience living in the KC metro area at a younger age, I would say the early marriage issue in the Midwest poses a big problem for both single men and women in the mid 20s to mid 30s age range that have never been married previously. Many people prefer not to deal with all the extra baggage and other issues that go along with those "new" singles that are divorced, having kid(s) from previous relationship or marriage, etc. So, I think those headwinds are worse in the KC metro based on its larger metro population size, but is indicative of the smaller city and outlying social culture being more pervasive in KC compared to other places..
My adult Johnson County kids range in age from 27 to 33. The majority of their friends are just getting married now for the first time, and more of them are in the 33 age range than the 27 age range. Well in fact, I can think of very few of my 27 year old's friends that are married, but a lot of the 33 year old's friends got married for the first time in the last year. I just don't see the "married by 23" thing that some people are talking about. Maybe in rural Kansas/Missouri, but I haven't seen that in Kansas City or at least not in Johnson County. People are delaying getting married because that's what they prefer, not because everyone was already married by 23.

Old 03-21-2018, 09:21 AM

15,971 posts, read 9,381,724 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elkotronics View Post
I would think dating would be easier in KC than Seattle, over on city data Washington in the Seattle threads they're discussing the difficulties dating in Seattle. It's a whole different animal on the West Coast.
If there's two things in common for every city subforum...

1. <Insert city> has the worst drivers.

2. Dating in <Insert city> is terrible.

Old 03-21-2018, 09:24 AM

46 posts, read 71,084 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by luzianne View Post
My adult Johnson County kids range in age from 27 to 33. The majority of their friends are just getting married now for the first time, and more of them are in the 33 age range than the 27 age range. Well in fact, I can think of very few of my 27 year old's friends that are married, but a lot of the 33 year old's friends got married for the first time in the last year. I just don't see the "married by 23" thing that some people are talking about. Maybe in rural Kansas/Missouri, but I haven't seen that in Kansas City or at least not in Johnson County. People are delaying getting married because that's what they prefer, not because everyone was already married by 23.
Most of my friends got married between 28-35. The only ones that got married before that were in relationships 5+ years long that they started when they were in high school or college. That's just my experience here though.

Old 03-21-2018, 10:02 AM

57 posts, read 153,623 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MoNative34 View Post
If there's two things in common for every city subforum...

1. <Insert city> has the worst drivers.

2. Dating in <Insert city> is terrible.

So true.

Old 03-21-2018, 04:06 PM

30 posts, read 32,971 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Al Joad View Post
I'll address your points one at a time because I think your comments are interesting but perhaps excessively fear-mongering.

1) Like Jayhawker pointed out about my Memphis stat that I failed to make clear was hyperbolic, ratios of three or four single men per single woman or vice versa are ridiculous. Even military towns top out at about 65/35 men to women.
I said available single women. If a woman is being chased by 5 single men and 4 married men that makes them more unavailable to the average single guy. They are content in their bland and porky appearance as they are getting plenty of attention already so they don't have to email or initiate contact first.

Old 03-21-2018, 09:58 PM

709 posts, read 1,491,947 times
Wow, there are some ridiculous posts in this thread. I would say that Jayhawker434's post lines up the most with my experience.

First off, it is impossible to generalize about an entire metro area that can have a pretty wide variance in culture/demographics/vibe in different sections of the city.

I have heard the assertion before that everyone is married with kids in their mid-twenties, but that does not line up with my experience one bit. I think it may depend on where you live/hang out/work and what circles you run in. I live and spend most of my time in the city, so I am admittedly in a bit of a bubble, but most of the people I know didn't start getting married until into their 30s. I also have a good blend of locals and transplants in my circle, with perhaps a few more transplants. KC doesn't have the amount of immigration/movement as the large costal cities, but I think it does pretty well for the Midwest.

I do think it can be different in suburbs (more so in some, than others). The suburbs are more conservative/family oriented so it would make sense that people would get married earlier out there. There also tend to be less transplants in many suburbs. For those reasons, if dating/social life is a top priority, I would really recommend living in the city.

I don't have any personal experience with online dating or apps, but it seems like I almost never hear people talk about POF. Maybe it just never took off in KC from some reason. I hear people talking about using Bumble or Tinder the most.

I know single guys in their 30s that don't seem to have a problem dating. I think it ultimately comes down to the individual. I don't know which part of the 30s you are in, but it might be more difficult if you're late 30s.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Kansas City