Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Kansas City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-20-2018, 02:32 PM

72 posts, read 76,259 times

Advertisements

Hello everyone,

So my family and I will be moving to Kansas City the second week in July and I have a few questions.

What is the best area to move to on a teacher's salary? I'll need at least three bedrooms.

Also my husband is currently a supervisor in a warehouse, are there any recommendations you guys could give for a possible job? Large manufacturing complies out there? He also has a CDL.

Any teachers on here that can tell what teaching is like?

I would like to point out that we are African American. I hope that doesn't matter in Kansas City!!

Any info would be greatly appreciated!!

If you have any questions ask away.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-20-2018, 02:33 PM

37,409 posts, read 53,569,981 times
Where are you teaching? Is being close to work a priority?

Old 03-20-2018, 02:44 PM

No clue as to where I'll be teaching yet. I would prefer a commute under 45 though.

Old 03-20-2018, 03:01 PM

37,409 posts, read 53,569,981 times
If you're looking at working/staying in the city itself, versus exurban areas, you'll be able to fairly easily stay under that pretty much anywhere. There aren't a ton of areas within the city itself that take that long to drive between, unless there are things like accidents/roadwork, a bridge out, etc.

I do have a friend who always jokes that "anywhere in Kansas City is twenty minutes from anywhere else in Kansas City." Now, that's actually a bit hyperbolic, and 20 minutes is erring on the side of unrealistic, and he was joking anyway, but it does hold kinda true in many regards a decent percentage of the time. (Cue a handful of posters coming on and telling me I'm wrong about that, but they'll most likely be referencing farther flung suburban areas, versus KC's actual boundaries, for the most part).

Do you have a target price range? That will be more helpful in directing you to various neighborhoods.

Old 03-20-2018, 03:09 PM

Teachers salary is about 3k per month I believe. I guess 1k-1.5k a month is my limit. I was thinking of buying as well but would need to do a ton a research.

Old 03-21-2018, 02:34 PM

367 posts, read 817,841 times
(
Quote:
Originally Posted by msedwards83 View Post
Teachers salary is about 3k per month I believe. I guess 1k-1.5k a month is my limit. I was thinking of buying as well but would need to do a ton a research.
If you can qualify for a loan, mortgages are REALLY cheap in KC. I was stunned when I started house-shopping in January.

I am relocating from Dallas-Fort Worth and I can tell you my house payment in Gladstone (I move in June) is going to be 60% of what I'm paying for rent here for essentially the same amount of living space (and well, WELL within the budget you have set for yourself). My friends here in Texas can't believe I got a house with a good sized corner lot, in a great neighborhood, with good schools, for the price I got it. It would have cost me at least 50 grand more (and I'd have to get lucky) in this area to get the same thing.

As far as commuting goes, I used to think north of the river - say, Parkville - to Overland Park was a long drive before I moved away. After having lived away and experienced what REAL traffic and commuting is... KC ain't so bad just about anywhere.

You'll have to decide a few things:

1) KANSAS OR MISSOURI?

Both have pros and cons and are subjects of endless debates here on this board. I'm a Missouri girl, but I have plenty of friends who love living in Kansas. Visit, do the research, talk to people, see what suits you best.

I advise living in the same state you work in, if you can (your income taxes will be less complicated).

I'm also biased in favor of north of the river (aka "the Northland") on the Missouri side (Platte & Clay Counties) and I think you can get everything you're looking for at the price you want relatively easily, and the commute, especially in the area between I-35 and I-29 isn't hard to manage, commute-wise, across most of the metro (I might think twice if I worked in Belton or Lee's Summit, maybe...). I chose Gladstone for that flexibility, as both of us are also looking for work.

Both states have good and bad schools and school districts.

2) If you choose Missouri - KCMO or not?

If you work in KC, go ahead and live in it, as you have to pay an e-tax either way (1% earnings tax if you live or work in the city limits proper). I used to live in KCMO near I-29 and Cheauteau Trafficway and I loved living there (and if I'd found a house at the right time I would have moved back).

There's plenty of great neighborhoods in KCMO, north and south of the river. Lots of choices from urban, to suburban, to even rural-ish if you want it.

Good luck!

Old 03-21-2018, 09:37 PM

I am relocating from Dallas-Fort Worth and I can tell you my house payment in Gladstone (I move in June) is going to be 60% of what I'm paying for rent here for essentially the same amount of living space (and well, WELL within the budget you have set for yourself). My friends here in Texas can't believe I got a house with a good sized corner lot, in a great neighborhood, with good schools, for the price I got it. It would have cost me at least 50 grand more (and I'd have to get lucky) in this area to get the same thing.

Congrats on your new home!!!

I truly appreciate all the feedback you were able to provide. I intend to stay on the MO side. I'm truly terrified but I've been completely priced out of NYC, not to mention my family is ready for a slower pace of life. Thank again.

Old 03-22-2018, 01:17 PM

367 posts, read 817,841 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by msedwards83 View Post

Congrats on your new home!!!

I truly appreciate all the feedback you were able to provide. I intend to stay on the MO side. I'm truly terrified but I've been completely priced out of NYC, not to mention my family is ready for a slower pace of life. Thank again.
DON'T BE TERRIFIED!

Kansas City is awesome. I could have moved anywhere I wanted and I chose KC, due to the combo of weather, people, prices, culture and metro size.

Your biggest hurdle will be transportation. Coming from NYC, you are not used to the fact that generally speaking, it's very difficult to live in KC without a car. Once you adjust to that, you'll be just fine. You are going to get what seems to you to be a crazy good deal on a huge amount of living space - and you'll have plenty of room to park that car you'll need to have.

KC has lots and lots going for it, and I think it can be a place for just about anybody. It has its problems, like all cities do, but on the whole, it's got a lot going for it, too.

Good luck, have fun, and WELCOME!

Old 03-25-2018, 08:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JackieB23 View Post
DON'T BE TERRIFIED!

Kansas City is awesome. I could have moved anywhere I wanted and I chose KC, due to the combo of weather, people, prices, culture and metro size.

Your biggest hurdle will be transportation. Coming from NYC, you are not used to the fact that generally speaking, it's very difficult to live in KC without a car. Once you adjust to that, you'll be just fine. You are going to get what seems to you to be a crazy good deal on a huge amount of living space - and you'll have plenty of room to park that car you'll need to have.

KC has lots and lots going for it, and I think it can be a place for just about anybody. It has its problems, like all cities do, but on the whole, it's got a lot going for it, too.

Good luck, have fun, and WELCOME!

Thank you so much for such a warm welcome.

Old 03-25-2018, 11:01 PM

11,108 posts, read 23,886,188 times
I would recommend Blue Springs or Gladstone. Both are nice middle class suburbs. Not too affluent (or expensive) although both will have some higher end areas, but still nice and well maintained with good schools etc. KC is already way cheaper than coastal cities, but places like Gladstone or Blue Springs are really nice because you can get the same home in those areas for about 20% less than say Lee's Summit or Parkville.

My wife taught in metro KC for many years (she now teaches near Baltimore). She taught in urban KCMO for most of her time there, but also a few suburban districts. There is not much left to the KCMO school district and I would avoid it if possible unless you find a school and principle you really like. Check out KCMO charter schools though. If you can get on any of the suburban districts, they are all good to teach at. It has always seemed tough to get in some of the better suburban districts like Lee's Summit, Blue Springs, North KC, Liberty, Park Hill etc unless you know somebody, but being a minority may help you get into a district if they don't have many African American teachers. Speaking of being African American, that won't be an issue anywhere in metro KC although Lee's Summit seems to be a popular suburb with affluent African Americans.

I think it would mostly come down to where you will be commuting to, but for the most part, you have all of Platte, Clay and most of Jackson counties to consider. The bigger problem will be finding a house. Good, houses in your price bracket are only on the market for a few days. There is just no inventory.

I'm putting a home on the market in Blue Springs in May, but I'm sure it will be sold sometime in May or I would say it would be worth looking into .
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Kansas City
View detailed profiles of: