U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Kansas City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
View Poll Results: How "Southern" is Kansas City?
Significantly more Midwestern than Southern 77 71.96%
Moderately more Midwestern than Southern 21 19.63%
Moderately more Southern than Midwestern 1 0.93%
Significantly more Southern than Midwestern 1 0.93%
About equally Midwestern and Southern 7 6.54%
Voters: 107. You may not vote on this poll

 
 
Old 10-03-2019, 10:39 PM
 
Location: Germantown, Philadelphia
7,673 posts, read 3,685,551 times
Reputation: 4872

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mo guy View Post
Yes -- Missouri is a southern state


Philadelphia ---was the second largest English speaking city after London in 1776 --- it was never in a slave state ---
St Louis and KC both are --- St Louis may have a connection to the south because of the river --- but KC has a connection to the worst part of the slave holding aggression --- that would cause the Civil War to start in Kansas 5 years before Fort Sumter was fired on --plus the Wild West of Jesse James --was the result of the Union Army's foot on the collective necks of the defeated Confederates ---which was the majority of the population of not only Jackson county ---but all of western Missouri


That you say KC is not so southern now --- well I guess that can be -- relates to the success of the Union to rehabilitate (Reconstruction) the bushwhackers that fought until everything was laid waste ---just like 20th century western allies did to rebuild defeated Nazi Germany and Japan --- I guess Lincoln did a good job --- but I would say that Out state Missouri --is really an embarrassment --- Out State METHsouri unfortunately makes this state --- North Mississippi
I understand and more or less agree with most everything you say except that very first statement.

Missouri, like Maryland, Kentucky and Delaware, never formally seceded from the Union; the Civil War split both Maryland and Missouri in two. Both states saw significant Civil War action in their pro-Confederate portions (which is why none of the Civil War battles fought in Missouri occurred in the eastern part of the state - but pro-Confederate Callaway County seceded from the state when it refused to secede).

Order No. 11 did not apply to the population of the Town of Kansas itself. Nor did it apply to any of the counties north of the Missouri River. Would you really argue that St. Joseph or Marceline are Southern in appearance or character? (Though Jesse James did hang out in Buchanan County.)

Your point about "Bleeding Kansas," however, is well taken; I refer to that period as "the dress rehearsal for the Civil War."

"Lincoln did a good job"? More about Missouri's dual nature. No state in the former Confederacy observed Lincoln's Birthday as a state holiday before the creation of Presidents' Day. Missouri did. And who is the state's historically black state university named for? For whom was the black high school in *Kansas City* named?

And there's still the cultural stuff. I wouldn't confuse Maryville for New Madrid, for instance - the line between cultural Midwest and cultural South also splits the state in two.

And, of course, the Feds put the state in the West North Central region.
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message

 
Old 10-03-2019, 11:31 PM
 
Location: Kansas City North
247 posts, read 131,496 times
Reputation: 340
Historically? Maybe somewhat?
Culturally? I'm not feeling it.
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-04-2019, 10:10 AM
 
Location: CasaMo
15,878 posts, read 8,068,182 times
Reputation: 18083
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarketStEl View Post
I understand and more or less agree with most everything you say except that very first statement.

Missouri, like Maryland, Kentucky and Delaware, never formally seceded from the Union; the Civil War split both Maryland and Missouri in two. Both states saw significant Civil War action in their pro-Confederate portions (which is why none of the Civil War battles fought in Missouri occurred in the eastern part of the state - but pro-Confederate Callaway County seceded from the state when it refused to secede).

Order No. 11 did not apply to the population of the Town of Kansas itself. Nor did it apply to any of the counties north of the Missouri River. Would you really argue that St. Joseph or Marceline are Southern in appearance or character? (Though Jesse James did hang out in Buchanan County.)

Your point about "Bleeding Kansas," however, is well taken; I refer to that period as "the dress rehearsal for the Civil War."

"Lincoln did a good job"? More about Missouri's dual nature. No state in the former Confederacy observed Lincoln's Birthday as a state holiday before the creation of Presidents' Day. Missouri did. And who is the state's historically black state university named for? For whom was the black high school in *Kansas City* named?

And there's still the cultural stuff. I wouldn't confuse Maryville for New Madrid, for instance - the line between cultural Midwest and cultural South also splits the state in two.

And, of course, the Feds put the state in the West North Central region.
Don't forget the battle of Ft Davidson in eastern Missouri. Not to nitpick. You're obviously are well versed in the matter!
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-04-2019, 11:19 AM
 
Location: Oklahoma
10,523 posts, read 7,762,156 times
Reputation: 9289
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarketStEl View Post

And there's still the cultural stuff. I wouldn't confuse Maryville for New Madrid, for instance - the line between cultural Midwest and cultural South also splits the state in two.
One of the more fascinating things I've learned about on City-Data is the historical "little Dixie" part of Missouri. Still can't wrap my head around the fact that this area was a confederate stronghold while at the same time Columbia was a union stronghold.

Kansas City must have been a conflicted mess during the war with southern sympathizers east and south of it (order 11 counties).
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-04-2019, 02:07 PM
 
45 posts, read 16,398 times
Reputation: 76
Kansas City has Southern influences but it is Midwestern to the core. Same thing for St. Louis. The rest of Missouri however has more heavy and pronounced Southern influences outside of these two cities, and while most of it isn't the true South, the southern quarter might as well be an extension of Kentucky, Tennessee, Arkansas, and Oklahoma.
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-04-2019, 02:13 PM
 
45 posts, read 16,398 times
Reputation: 76
Quote:
Originally Posted by mo guy View Post
You never saw Confederate Armies operating in the Eastern part of Missouri---because St Louis was the GREAT UNION STRONGHOLD of the West --- St Louis was the home town of both Generals Grant and Sherman -- a huge manufacturing War Machine that helped outfit the Union army and navy ---which defeated the Confederacy,

The kind of Southerners that lived in the KC --western part of the state ---were as rabid secessionist SLAVE HOLDING PROMOTING ---TRAITORS ---- as the ones in south Carolina and Mississippi ---in fact the Souths last stand was in 1864 at the Battle of Wesport --the largest battle west of the Mississippi ----just one of the facts that contribute to the complicated place Missouri is ---


So without any doubt ---master-planned Kansas City ---is certainly a more southern city---than say St Louis ---even though both cities were in a slave state --- actually St Louis was the largest city in a slave state
General Grant and General Sherman were not St. Louis natives. And as far as the original settlers of KC, what relevance does it have to what KC is today. Anybody who would call KC a Southern city today clearly doesn't understand modern culture, linguistics, politics, geography, etc. KC has far more in common with Omaha and Des Moines today than it does with Tulsa, Little Rock, Oklahoma City, or Dallas.
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-04-2019, 02:18 PM
 
45 posts, read 16,398 times
Reputation: 76
Quote:
Originally Posted by mo guy View Post
Kansas City is very southern --- especially since it was in open rebellion against the Union during the Civil War --- back in 1860 Westport was the important economic hub ---with KC just being the steamboat landing for Westport --- KC didn't begin to develop until it filled up with displaced residents from the five Secessionist counties that that Union Army emptied out and left the whole western part of Missouri a smoking ruin.
You can't say what a place was 160 years ago makes it what it is today, especially with the historic border states. So you're telling me KC natives speak with southern speech patterns, politically vote to the right, religiously are conservative Christians, identify as American in terms of ancestry, etc? Because none of these are true. Calling Kansas City the south from a modern standpoint is almost like calling a place like Nashville the Midwest, because obviously Nashville has more in common with Chicago and Detroit than it does Memphis, Louisville, or Atlanta
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-04-2019, 02:23 PM
 
Location: Illinois
451 posts, read 210,082 times
Reputation: 469
Missouri is more midwestern in many ways.

1. The largest ethnic ancestral group in Missouri is German. The Confederate South is dominated by English, Irish, Scotts and Scotts-Irish ancestry. Missouri also has large Italian, Polish, Greek and eastern european ancestry. The confederate south doesn't really have that.

2. Missouri is a staunchly pro-union state. The Confederate South is not.

3. Very little of Missouri was put to use cultivating cash crops. Obvisously, thats what the confederate south was all about.

4. Missouri industrialized like a midwestern state after the war. Most of the confederate south stuck with sharecropping and didn't industrialized till the 20th century.

There are more, but I'm tired
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-04-2019, 02:25 PM
 
Location: KCMO
2,030 posts, read 1,312,502 times
Reputation: 3387
As a native Kansas Citian, who has also lived all over the South...I'm not seeing the "Southern" influence as much as I see the Western influence.

I will be moving back to KC the end of this month. October '19.
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-04-2019, 02:33 PM
 
Location: CasaMo
15,878 posts, read 8,068,182 times
Reputation: 18083
Quote:
Originally Posted by Claytonian4 View Post
You can't say what a place was 160 years ago makes it what it is today, especially with the historic border states. So you're telling me KC natives speak with southern speech patterns, politically vote to the right, religiously are conservative Christians, identify as American in terms of ancestry, etc? Because none of these are true. Calling Kansas City the south from a modern standpoint is almost like calling a place like Nashville the Midwest, because obviously Nashville has more in common with Chicago and Detroit than it does Memphis, Louisville, or Atlanta
Hi ajf!! How have you been?
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


 
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Kansas City
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2020, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Contact Us - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37 - Top