U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Kansas City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
View Poll Results: How "Southern" is Kansas City?
Significantly more Midwestern than Southern 77 71.96%
Moderately more Midwestern than Southern 21 19.63%
Moderately more Southern than Midwestern 1 0.93%
Significantly more Southern than Midwestern 1 0.93%
About equally Midwestern and Southern 7 6.54%
Voters: 107. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 10-21-2019, 06:57 PM
 
630 posts, read 591,918 times
Reputation: 412

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Claytonian4 View Post
St. Louis isn't Southern at all. Slavery was present in KC too. And KC had Blues music. St. Louis architecture isn't Southern at all. Chicago had blues music as did Detroit. Are you going to call those places Southern? st. Louis culture isn't Southern either. Not all places that had slavery were Southern. And if anything, KC is more Southern than St. Louis ever was.
I feel St Louis was far more a segregated city like those of the south than Kansas City and I see more similarities between Memphis and St Louis than Chicago and St Louis. River, closeness, segregation, blues music, etc.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 10-22-2019, 02:53 PM
 
45 posts, read 16,657 times
Reputation: 76
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovekcmo View Post
I feel St Louis was far more a segregated city like those of the south than Kansas City and I see more similarities between Memphis and St Louis than Chicago and St Louis. River, closeness, segregation, blues music, etc.
River has nothing to do with it. Both Kansas City and St. Louis had segregation, and St. Louis has virtually nothing in common with Memphis demographically, culturally, linguistically, politically, etc. St. Louis inherited the blues jazz and bbq from the South as did Chicago. St. Louis is not a Southern city and it certainly isn’t more Southern than Kansas City. And Kansas City is on a river too. A river doesn’t make a place Southern. You need to seriously reevaluate what you think makes a place Southern because you aren’t right. You clearly aren’t listening to anything I’m saying anyway so I’m done arguing with you. Chicago and Detroit had blues music which migrated to them the same way it migrated to St. Louis. The blues aren’t native to St. Louis. If ur talking about modern segregation, all Midwestern cities are severely segregated. Southern ones actually aren’t anymore.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-22-2019, 07:15 PM
 
630 posts, read 591,918 times
Reputation: 412
Quote:
Originally Posted by Claytonian4 View Post
River has nothing to do with it. Both Kansas City and St. Louis had segregation, and St. Louis has virtually nothing in common with Memphis demographically, culturally, linguistically, politically, etc. St. Louis inherited the blues jazz and bbq from the South as did Chicago. St. Louis is not a Southern city and it certainly isn’t more Southern than Kansas City. And Kansas City is on a river too. A river doesn’t make a place Southern. You need to seriously reevaluate what you think makes a place Southern because you aren’t right. You clearly aren’t listening to anything I’m saying anyway so I’m done arguing with you. Chicago and Detroit had blues music which migrated to them the same way it migrated to St. Louis. The blues aren’t native to St. Louis. If ur talking about modern segregation, all Midwestern cities are severely segregated. Southern ones actually aren’t anymore.
I'm talking the might Mississippi River. St Louis, Memphis, New Orleans were/are your southern cities of the Mississippi. The Missouri was/is a more midwestern river, look at a map. St Louis was a horribly segregated city.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-22-2019, 07:26 PM
 
45 posts, read 16,657 times
Reputation: 76
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovekcmo View Post
I'm talking the might Mississippi River. St Louis, Memphis, New Orleans were/are your southern cities of the Mississippi. The Missouri was/is a more midwestern river, look at a map. St Louis was a horribly segregated city.
And St. Louis is on the Missouri River. No it wasn’t incredibly segregated. KC is was just as segregated. St. Louis isn’t Southern. Period. St. Louis has more in common with Chicago and Minneapolis today than it does with Memphis and New Orleans. In fact from a modern standpoint St. Louis is nothing in common with those two cities. As a St. Louis native I can tell you your perceptions about our city are flat out wrong. But If you want to live in your world of make believe, be my guest. St. Louis has never been more Southern than Kansas City in any way, shape or form. Period. You are continuing to back yourself further and further into a corner. Have you looked at a map of the Mississippi it extends into Minnesota. How is that a Southern River? I think I’ve proven my point here. If you don’t like facts, I’m not wasting my time on you.

Last edited by Claytonian4; 10-22-2019 at 07:34 PM..
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-23-2019, 12:06 AM
 
Location: KCMO, North
36 posts, read 89,871 times
Reputation: 62
Could you please not waste your time on any of us?
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-23-2019, 05:38 AM
 
45 posts, read 16,657 times
Reputation: 76
Quote:
Originally Posted by idaeus View Post
Could you please not waste your time on any of us?
Don’t like facts either? Then don’t speak.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-23-2019, 03:20 PM
 
Location: KCMO, North
36 posts, read 89,871 times
Reputation: 62
Please provide links to your "facts". Just spurting crap from your mouth, and not providing proof, isn't a fact.

Here I'll show you a fact. Starting a thread and then not backing it up with data to prove your point, is divisive and juvenile.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-23-2019, 05:02 PM
 
45 posts, read 16,657 times
Reputation: 76
Quote:
Originally Posted by idaeus View Post
Please provide links to your "facts". Just spurting crap from your mouth, and not providing proof, isn't a fact.

Here I'll show you a fact. Starting a thread and then not backing it up with data to prove your point, is divisive and juvenile.
Look it up yourself. I’m not doing your dirty work especially when you treat me like that. Nothing I’m spurting is crap. St. Louis is linguistically outside of the Southern dialect, is German American and Irish American majority, politically votes Democratic in the city and county, and is architecturally and industrially Midwestern. Memphis is none of these things. Anyone with a brain knows this stuff. New Orleans is Catholic but is otherwise Southern in every other area. Hit the road Jack.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-23-2019, 05:04 PM
 
Location: KCMO, North
36 posts, read 89,871 times
Reputation: 62
Hehehe
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-23-2019, 06:59 PM
 
630 posts, read 591,918 times
Reputation: 412
The last I have to say on this of St Louis and KC, is that St Louis Democrat voting history is tied to the Dixie South which was Democrat and there's something, which I haven't taken the time to look up, about the Mississippi River being deeper from the conjunction of the MO and MS Rivers south to the Gulf of Mexico and shallower north of that conjunction to MN where it begins and St Louis was strategically located where riverboats coming up from the south could transfer cargo/etc on to riverboats going further north to MN or on to the MO river. In my humble opinion I feel St Louis has more in history and ties with the south than KC.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Kansas City
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 08:53 AM.

© 2005-2020, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Contact Us - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37 - Top