Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Kansas City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-16-2019, 07:39 AM

26,404 posts, read 46,544,081 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TabulaRasa View Post
LOL. 160,000 KCP&L customers without power for days can put a damper on going out plans.
KCP&L is a joke of a utility, they need more competition. They have made so many mistakes that have cost ratepayers a huge amount of money.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-16-2019, 12:10 PM

495 posts, read 777,871 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GraniteStater View Post
KCP&L is a joke of a utility, they need more competition. They have made so many mistakes that have cost ratepayers a huge amount of money.

Old 01-16-2019, 12:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shindig View Post
Well, for starters, they constructed a new coal power plant in Platte County that opened in 2011 that was using obsolete pulverized technology. Of course the utility increased the KWh rate for all commercial and residential consumers for that very bad business decision. They could have easily gone with natural gas, energy efficiency initiatives, and renewable sources, but made a very costly choice for everyone (now that all other sources are cheaper), including metro area health and environment. Most utilities are much better positioned long-term than KCP&L as most wind power in Kansas is also exported to other states including Colorado, not to the KC metro area.

Old 01-22-2019, 09:05 AM

654 posts, read 630,160 times
There really is no excuse for a relatively moderate snow that is not accompanied by wind or extreme temperatures to put 160,000 customers out of power for multiple days. Sure it was 8-10 inches, but in these days of more variable weather, we will have a storm like this at least every 3-5 winters. What happens if we get a major blizzard with 12+in of snow with 40 mph winds? I am afraid people will lose their lives in their own homes due to lack of electricity in that more severe case.

Old 01-22-2019, 06:02 PM

15,971 posts, read 9,380,725 times
It's because it was an extremely heavy, sticky snow combined with 8-9 inches which is a rare combination. That is in no way relatively moderate.

Old 01-22-2019, 06:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoNative34 View Post
It's because it was an extremely heavy, sticky snow combined with 8-9 inches which is a rare combination. That is in no way relatively moderate.
Dry snow is always preferred, although that is more common in northern areas.

Old 01-22-2019, 07:02 PM

15,971 posts, read 9,380,725 times
I'll make a note. Thank you.

Old 01-22-2019, 09:46 PM

7,444 posts, read 7,011,224 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GraniteStater View Post
Well, for starters, they constructed a new coal power plant in Platte County that opened in 2011 that was using obsolete pulverized technology. Of course the utility increased the KWh rate for all commercial and residential consumers for that very bad business decision. They could have easily gone with natural gas, energy efficiency initiatives, and renewable sources, but made a very costly choice for everyone (now that all other sources are cheaper), including metro area health and environment. Most utilities are much better positioned long-term than KCP&L as most wind power in Kansas is also exported to other states including Colorado, not to the KC metro area.
So you are also an expert on utilities and energy generation in addition to geography, mapping, weather, climate, cars and knowing that everyone is just to stupid to not appreciate living in the coldest climates in the USA. Amazing.

Old 01-23-2019, 01:14 AM

3,833 posts, read 3,335,667 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MUTGR View Post
So you are also an expert on utilities and energy generation in addition to geography, mapping, weather, climate, cars and knowing that everyone is just to stupid to not appreciate living in the coldest climates in the USA. Amazing.
Yea, I can't imagine living in MN.

I prefer the climate of southern Missouri. Sure it gets humid in the summer but also the winter is still pretty mild temperature wise.

Down here it's hot from May to the end of Oct. I can tolerate the winter temps of somewhere like Branson for example.

Old 01-23-2019, 07:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MUTGR View Post
No, I never claimed I was an expert on utilities, I just know a bit more than many people because I've looked into their business models and what their long-term strategies are. Missouri is finally making "some" strides in the utility sector, but the mistakes in the past ten years have certainly cost ratepayers. Those other items you mentioned I never claimed to be an "expert" on, although I have an extensive professional and educational background in the GIS and meteorology fields. Cold, yes, always better than heat and humidity.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Kansas City