Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Kansas City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-19-2019, 10:53 AM

15,971 posts, read 9,380,725 times

Advertisements

Stay away from Kansas City Missouri public schools.

Period.

Students in the KCMSD aren't better off than suburban Johnson county schools.

The OP needs to know this if he's considering moving here and he needs to know the truth and not pc feel good bs.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-20-2019, 12:19 PM

1,328 posts, read 1,461,270 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MoNative34 View Post
Stay away from Kansas City Missouri public schools.

Period.

Students in the KCMSD aren't better off than suburban Johnson county schools.

The OP needs to know this if he's considering moving here and he needs to know the truth and not pc feel good bs.
Uh, yeah. I don't know who on this forum you think you're sparring with, here. We're all on the same page on this one.

Old 02-20-2019, 12:28 PM

1,970 posts, read 2,233,552 times
For kicks and giggles, I looked up the "walkscores" for two houses I know well in Prairie Village.

House #1 rates 78 Walkscore and 56 Bikeable score. This is the large grouping of 1950s homes west of "the Village." Generally the area between 63d and Mission and Tomahawk and Roe. This is a great score and a nice neighborhood. Big families with five or six kids are not unusual here.

House #2 rates 23 Walkscore and 53 Bikeable score. This is the newer 1980s housing along Somerset Avenue headed west from Franklin Park. Not as good a score. Again a nice neighborhood with lots of kids, but perhaps a little more affluent, and there might be just one or two kids per house.

All of Prairie Village is safe and family-oriented.

Old 02-20-2019, 01:44 PM

26,404 posts, read 46,544,081 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by westender View Post
For kicks and giggles, I looked up the "walkscores" for two houses I know well in Prairie Village.

House #1 rates 78 Walkscore and 56 Bikeable score. This is the large grouping of 1950s homes west of "the Village." Generally the area between 63d and Mission and Tomahawk and Roe. This is a great score and a nice neighborhood. Big families with five or six kids are not unusual here.

House #2 rates 23 Walkscore and 53 Bikeable score. This is the newer 1980s housing along Somerset Avenue headed west from Franklin Park. Not as good a score. Again a nice neighborhood with lots of kids, but perhaps a little more affluent, and there might be just one or two kids per house.

All of Prairie Village is safe and family-oriented.
The lower street numbered roads in PV certainly have a better walk score overall. I’m not sure where you’re getting your demographic info for PV, but is a mature aging demographic overall with a slightly lower percentage of the population over age 65 than under age 18 according to census data.

Old 02-20-2019, 03:47 PM

15,971 posts, read 9,380,725 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GraniteStater View Post
The lower street numbered roads in PV certainly have a better walk score overall. I’m not sure where you’re getting your demographic info for PV, but is a mature aging demographic overall with a slightly lower percentage of the population over age 65 than under age 18 according to census data.
I worked in NE JoCo years back and definitely noticed more older folks than other suburban areas. Curious as to what school enrollment numbers now compare to the 60s and 70s.

There had to be a sharp decline at some point in time.

Old 02-20-2019, 04:07 PM

6,814 posts, read 11,531,564 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MoNative34 View Post
Curious as to what school enrollment numbers now compare to the 60s and 70s.

There had to be a sharp decline at some point in time.
I graduated from Shawnee Mission East in the early 70s. Back then there were no freshman. Our boundary went from 59th Street to 91st, State Line to Nall. Now there are all four grades, and the boundaries go as far north as 47th down to 95th, and in some area all the way west to Metcalf.
https://resources.finalsite.net/imag...ap-2018-19.pdf

Old 02-20-2019, 05:15 PM

13,721 posts, read 19,246,566 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GraniteStater View Post
I think that mature aging demographic is not so true anymore. PV is full of kids and three bigger grade schools have been built to accommodate more kids.

Old 02-21-2019, 07:32 PM

26,404 posts, read 46,544,081 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by luzianne View Post
I think that mature aging demographic is not so true anymore. PV is full of kids and three bigger grade schools have been built to accommodate more kids.
This is the current census data, take this as a grain of salt- I wonder if the greater % under 5 relative to the % under 18 is a solid indicator of younger and middle aged people moving to inner ring suburbs instead of immediately heading to the "vinyl village" developments that are at lower price points. PV has certainly seen some RE appreciation, but remains a relative bargain based on its median household income, educational attainment, location etc. 2020 Census Data releases will offer a better overall picture shortly.

Edit, interesting to also note that Overland Park's population demographics are now aging a bit more on the whole as well which makes sense considering the very large land area the city occupies at this point...
Attached Thumbnails
Questions about Prairie Village-2-21-19-3.png   Questions about Prairie Village-2-21-19-4.png  

Last edited by GraniteStater; 02-21-2019 at 07:57 PM..

Old 02-21-2019, 11:44 PM

37,409 posts, read 53,543,435 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PittsburghFans View Post
Thank you for the tip! I didn't even think about Reddit.

We were in KS a little over a year ago, but we only had time to drive around PV at night and our first thought was "meh!"... we were unimpressed. We've also been doing some Google views, and we didn't see anybody walking around, not even in the areas close to the PV shops, which makes me think that people just drive there. It's very disappointing because we really wanted to like it .
People just drive almost everywhere in KC, though...not just in the suburbs. It really won't be appreciably different in Brookside, outside of the couple of blocks of shops (which people will still drive to). It is just a highly car oriented city. Brookside does have the trolley track running through it, where a streetcar right of way is reproved into a multi-use trail connecting South Kansas City to the Country Club Plaza. The stretch that runs through Brookside is probably the most heavily used, and even at the rate, usage overall is pretty light.

Old 02-26-2019, 02:35 PM

1,970 posts, read 2,233,552 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Okey Dokie View Post
I graduated from Shawnee Mission East in the early 70s. Back then there were no freshmen. Our boundary went from 59th Street to 91st, State Line to Nall. Now there are all four grades, and the boundaries go as far north as 47th down to 95th, and in some area all the way west to Metcalf.

https://resources.finalsite.net/imag...ap-2018-19.pdf
Interesting map: the boundaries have definitely enlarged since the 1980s and 1990s. My SME debate partner lived in Westwood, and Coach Eley (SM North) would often comment that he should really be at North. Eley was peeved when we qualified for Nationals -- this is back when Kansas could only send six teams total. Our coach (Larry Brown) just smiled.

The boundaries _for a long time_ were from US56 (Shawnee Mission Parkway) to 95th Street (couple of places only to 91st), and State Line to Lamar. Historically, all of Prairie Village has been included in the SME catchment, even that apartment complex exclave just west of Lamar.

Last edited by westender; 02-26-2019 at 02:48 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Kansas City