U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Kansas City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-13-2008, 04:54 PM

1 posts, read 3,248 times

Advertisements

Hi
In this webpage ive only heard good stuff about Kansas city, but recently i found on this page [url=http://www.infoplease.com/ipa/A0921299.html]Safest and Most Dangerous U.S. Cities, 2007 — Infoplease.com[/url] which lists the most safe and dangerous cities in 2007, that Kansas city, Kansas appears as number 25 and Kansas City MO as number 18

Is this true, and why?

I would really like to know the truth about KC KS since i was thinking about moving over there, but security is an important factor to me

Thanks for your time and waiting your answer

Claudia
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-14-2008, 03:32 AM

5 posts, read 16,783 times
Per capita KCK and KCMO rank pretty high but in my 37 years of experience violence isn't random in Kansas City. There are places to avoid or you'll look like a victim as soon as you're identified as not from the area. Everyone has their personal opinions about where these places are so I'll spare you my personal opinion and let you decide where you're comfortable going.

After hours around KC bars and/or concerts seem to be very violent IMO. Particularly after venues have closed. Guns abound like everywhere so shootings can happen under the cover of darkness and where people are allowed to loiter. KCPD's response time must be pretty bad because criminals seem to think they can shoot at people and get away. The good thing is KC's small enough that publicized crimes are usually solved or at least seem to be from my perspective. Petty arguments often become violent here in KC but just play things safe by avoiding the loitering and confrontations and I'm sure you'll be fine.

In regards to KCK specifically you can see from the curb which parts are nice and which aren't. Ask a good realtor and I'm sure they'll help you understand which neighborhoods to consider.

Good luck.

J

Old 04-14-2008, 10:52 PM

10,842 posts, read 19,426,909 times
KC is very segregated and has a LOT of blight for a city of its size. But I don't think you are any worse off in KC than any other large city regardless of the stats. Just be smart and don't sell crack on the corner and you will be fine.

Old 04-16-2008, 08:14 PM

362 posts, read 614,466 times
KC is a very dangerous place. Too many people here are rude, uncivilized, and plain proud to take advantage of others, steal their property, and injure their person.

It's the culture of Kansas City.

Old 04-17-2008, 05:38 AM

48 posts, read 148,694 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crosstimbers Okie View Post
KC is a very dangerous place. Too many people here are rude, uncivilized, and plain proud to take advantage of others, steal their property, and injure their person.

It's the culture of Kansas City.
Hi,

My young family is moving to KCMO this summer for a new job. I have not seen the negative comments/experiences you have had on any posts on this forum. can I ask if you live downtown? Out in th 'burbs? Do you find your experiences to be true all over KCMO or just in certain areas? Thanks for info.

Old 04-17-2008, 07:51 AM

12,064 posts, read 27,919,776 times
Well if his name means anything I'd guess he doesn't even live in Kansas City. I wouldn't worry about the bitter rant of someone like that. Kansas City has a lot to offer. Kansas City, KS is not a very nice place, from my limited knowledge of the area.

If you shared a bit about what you need and how much you can spend, as well as where you'll be working and how long of a commute you'd like me and other members of this board can help you out with some specific advice.

Old 04-17-2008, 12:05 PM

10,328 posts, read 10,352,647 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aragx6 View Post
Well if his name means anything I'd guess he doesn't even live in Kansas City. I wouldn't worry about the bitter rant of someone like that. Kansas City has a lot to offer. Kansas City, KS is not a very nice place, from my limited knowledge of the area.

If you shared a bit about what you need and how much you can spend, as well as where you'll be working and how long of a commute you'd like me and other members of this board can help you out with some specific advice.
Yeah; What he said.

Old 04-18-2008, 12:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gonefishingw2boys View Post
Hi,

My young family is moving to KCMO this summer for a new job. I have not seen the negative comments/experiences you have had on any posts on this forum. can I ask if you live downtown? Out in th 'burbs? Do you find your experiences to be true all over KCMO or just in certain areas? Thanks for info.
I live in Independence. But I've also experienced encounters with some really sorry examples of Humanity in Kansas City, Raytown, Parkville, Sugar Creek, and all the way up to St. Joseph. People on the Kansas side tend to be a little kinder and more gracious--a little. Also on the Missouri side Lee's Summit, Liberty, and Gladstone are higher quality.

There's a reason KCMO has been consistently rated as one of the most dangerous metropolitan areas in the US for years. I didn't invent it.

Old 04-18-2008, 08:13 AM

10,328 posts, read 10,352,647 times
Crosstimber Okie seems to have a lot of sour grapes. I have lived in this area for 56 yrs and as with any large metropolitan area there is going to be crime. Okie says this extends all the way to St Joseph to the north(that is a reach). Hopefully Okie will get down to the Ozarks so he/she can tell us what is wrong down that way as well. lol

Last edited by Versatile; 04-18-2008 at 08:14 AM.. Reason: spelling correction

Old 04-18-2008, 10:41 AM

Once again, Okie didn't invent the statistics demonstrating that the KCMO metro area, and St. Louis BTW, are consistently among the most dangerous large cities in the US to live in. They come from the FBI's Uniform Crime Reports, which are only based only on reported crimes. If memory searves me, they were both in the top five in 2004.

The subject of this thread dealt with the question of security in Kansas City. Attempting to whitewash the reality of the situation doesn't change it. The person asking the question deserves at least to hear the other side of the story. It's not all rosy enlightenment in Kansas City.

As for the Ozarks, the last I heard Christian County was still one of the methamphetamine capitals of the US.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Kansas City
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or