U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Kansas City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-12-2019, 11:26 AM

15,972 posts, read 8,229,462 times

Advertisements

People actually thought Cerner was going to turn around south kc?
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message

Old 09-15-2019, 06:36 PM

99 posts, read 48,165 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MoNative34 View Post

This was wishful thinking. Other industries have been in SE KC for a long time (e.g., Marion Labs and its succesors) and the neighborhoods continued to decline rather than prospered. Cerner will not have an impact.

KC commutes are easy. People that change job locations generally accept the added commute without a thought of moving. I've never been a fan of placing a singular institution in a remote part of the city to try to prompt development. It hasn't really worked in KC. The Truman Sports Complex is a great example. It has spurred almost no development in the area it resides (Adam's Mark and a taco bell is about it) and like SE KC, the area has probably declined since the sports complex has been there.

Cerner was an enormous lost opportunity to further strengthen downtown and the urban core.

Old 09-15-2019, 09:36 PM

11,038 posts, read 20,887,091 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GraniteStater View Post
Reference? Johnson County, KS isn’t even close to being the third wealthiest county in the U.S.
Yeah, the people that say that have no idea what they are talking about lol. That is something you hear a lot from JoCo locals. Sometimes I really really wonder if people there ever get out. Compared to the more upscale areas around here, JoCo is so just "meh", its not even funny and the place it still very 1980's feeling to me. The built environment there is just so stuck in 1990. Anyway haha.

Old 09-15-2019, 09:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoNative34 View Post
That was my point. With like 1-2 billion in local and state incentives, it should have either gone someplace where it could have truly created spin off economically activity (downtown), or it should have been designed as a mixed use massive development that would have completely re-invented the area surrounding it.

I knew it would have zero impact on the SKC area, but it has turned out much worse than I thought. It's bad enough that it's a single use office park with hundreds of acres of parking, but to make all the streets private and wall it off as a secure area too? What a disaster of a development from an urban planning standpoint.

Old 09-17-2019, 10:46 PM

13,724 posts, read 16,782,149 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kcmo View Post
Yeah, the people that say that have no idea what they are talking about lol. That is something you hear a lot from JoCo locals. Sometimes I really really wonder if people there ever get out. Compared to the more upscale areas around here, JoCo is so just "meh", its not even funny and the place it still very 1980's feeling to me. The built environment there is just so stuck in 1990. Anyway haha.
I’ve never heard one person say that, from Johnson County or otherwise, and I’ve lived in KC pretty much my whole life. But you tend to say whatever you can to put down Johnson County, whether it’s true or not.

You called Johnson County “meh” before you ever moved away, because of whatever biased ideas you grew up with. And you continue to take every opportunity you can find to put Johnson County down.

But every year Overland Park is listed among the best places to live by Money Magazine and this year Shawnee was also touted as a great place to live. Are you jealous that they never mention your old stomping grounds, Brookside or Blue Springs?

Old 09-17-2019, 11:12 PM

247 posts, read 141,126 times
Quote:
This is just flame-baiting. I don't think Johnson Countians think they are on the wealth levels of the counties of NOVA, Orange, or Marin, not even close. I think you have to give JoCo more credit than "meh" as well. Yes it's pretty cookie cutter similar to the middle-upper class suburbs of other major cities but there's no doubt that there's high marks here across the board....

Old 09-18-2019, 09:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by luzianne View Post
I’ve never heard one person say that, from Johnson County or otherwise, and I’ve lived in KC pretty much my whole life. But you tend to say whatever you can to put down Johnson County, whether it’s true or not.

You called Johnson County “meh” before you ever moved away, because of whatever biased ideas you grew up with. And you continue to take every opportunity you can find to put Johnson County down.

But every year Overland Park is listed among the best places to live by Money Magazine and this year Shawnee was also touted as a great place to live. Are you jealous that they never mention your old stomping grounds, Brookside or Blue Springs?
If I had a dollar for every time I have heard that JoCo is the richest county bla bla bla, I could buy a house there!

Old 09-18-2019, 09:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by VietInKC View Post
This is just flame-baiting. I don't think Johnson Countians think they are on the wealth levels of the counties of NOVA, Orange, or Marin, not even close. I think you have to give JoCo more credit than "meh" as well. Yes it's pretty cookie cutter similar to the middle-upper class suburbs of other major cities but there's no doubt that there's high marks here across the board....
It's a decent suburb. But it's bland as all hell and it looks about the same now as it did in 1990 with the exception of a few new developments. It's very meh, all of suburban KC is. I don't think JoCo even remotely comes close to offering what the suburbs around DC do. Have you followed the issue with the USDA moving to KC? Places like Overland Park are not all that appealing to people from large coastal metros, no matter how many times they show up on the "best places to live" lists.

I'm not talking about just wealth, I'm talking about built environment, recreation, diversity and culture.

JoCo is basically a giant western Lawrence. 1990's strip malls, ultra wide streets with huge medians and massive grass right of ways and building setbacks. Everybody drives around with sports logos on their cars from one strip mall to the next. Sounds like the life!

KC is only interesting between Briarcliff and Waldo in the North/South linear core of KCMO. The rest of the metro leaves a LOT to be desired.

Old 09-18-2019, 12:43 PM

247 posts, read 141,126 times
Quote:
It's a decent suburb. But it's bland as all hell and it looks about the same now as it did in 1990 with the exception of a few new developments. It's very meh, all of suburban KC is. I don't think JoCo even remotely comes close to offering what the suburbs around DC do. Have you followed the issue with the USDA moving to KC? Places like Overland Park are not all that appealing to people from large coastal metros, no matter how many times they show up on the "best places to live" lists.

I'm not talking about just wealth, I'm talking about built environment, recreation, diversity and culture.

JoCo is basically a giant western Lawrence. 1990's strip malls, ultra wide streets with huge medians and massive grass right of ways and building setbacks. Everybody drives around with sports logos on their cars from one strip mall to the next. Sounds like the life!

KC is only interesting between Briarcliff and Waldo in the North/South linear core of KCMO. The rest of the metro leaves a LOT to be desired.
I mean to be fair there are little suburbs anywhere in this country that aren't "meh" so basically you have to measure a suburbs quality appearence and amenity wise between less "meh" more "meh". I did read an article about some major business getting uprooted from somewhere and moving to KC but don't remember if it was the USDA or not but skimming the USDA article, it's basically the same sentiments from the employers how they do not want to move here. I mean to be fair, they probably don't know the slightest thing about KC or what it has to offer. Only perk is cheaper cost of living. Seems like anywhere around the KC metro is a bargain compared to the East coast and that might be just enough to sway someone. Overall, though I agree with most of your assessment.

Old 09-18-2019, 02:15 PM

Quality of life is measured in many more ways than just cost of living. You can even see it in KC. It's way more expensive to live in KC than in Topeka or Hays or Sedalia for a reason. Most people that live in KC probably would not move to Sedalia just because it's cheaper. Same deal in DC. It's all relative. Everybody talks about how much it cost to live in NYC, DC, Boston, Seattle, LA, SF etc, yet millions of people live there and wouldn't live in a cheaper place (I think over half the country lives in cities I just mentioned). The most desirable places to live tend to be the most expensive.

I like KC, I think everybody here knows that. But JoCo is the most overrated place I have seen anywhere. Unless you are from small town midwest, its just not all that impressive. You can live in a nice home there in a good suburban school district, just like you can in any other major city in the country. Big deal. It's not that it's a bad place, it's just not all that people there think it is and a lot of cities have far better suburban options for people that have a little higher bar for what they consider quality of life other than how well the streets are plowed in the winter.

I do know that none of the people I know here in the DC area at my place of work would move to KC or any other place in the midwest, they would quit first and find a different job and that's after I have done a lot to probably open their eyes to KC. I try to show off KC when I can.

The midwest is like another country to people out here. A third world, uneducated, uncultured place. Rednecks, guns, churches and farms and a far right political environment that people out here want no part of. Again the whole Trump movement has only made those stereotypes much worse. I don't agree, but that's what people think now. Hell, even people in countries I visit overseas have a terrible image of America's "middle" now. It's not good, trust me. It's just making things worse for places like KC and other metros that are not like that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Kansas City