U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Kansas City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-01-2020, 06:18 PM

639 posts, read 698,797 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by RisingAurvandil View Post
Wow, that's interesting to hear about TWA's effect in KC. I had never heard about what they did over there. The costs "inflicted" by TWA were staggering here in StL also. After they arrived at Lambert, the airport essentially reached capacity. The StL area spent nearly $2 billion, in 90s money, to expand Lambert and build an entirely new airport (Mid America). Thousands of homes were taken. A freeway was rerouted and tunneled beneath the runways.

And then American bought TWA and moved out, resulting in empty terminals and unused runways. Some of the streets remain in the bulldozed neighborhoods. It's a sad sight.
My mother worked for TWA/American for 40 years, the stories she's told me about how TWA screwed over KC for St Louis then screwed St Louis over.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-01-2020, 06:20 PM

639 posts, read 698,797 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thriftylefty View Post
Its probably only in the top 25 now. It had doubled between 1940 -1960. Perhaps they thought it had more growing to do.
KC officials in the 1940s or 1950s were afraid that what happened to STL in terms of boundary lines/growth would happened to KC so they annexed hundreds of acres in the northland to accomate growth that never occurred. 70 years ago officials thought KC would be over a million in population and now we're almost to the population the city was in 1970 when it was a lot less square footage built out.

Old 07-02-2020, 12:36 AM

12,273 posts, read 6,819,799 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovekcmo View Post
KC officials in the 1940s or 1950s were afraid that what happened to STL in terms of boundary lines/growth would happened to KC so they annexed hundreds of acres in the northland to accomate growth that never occurred. 70 years ago officials thought KC would be over a million in population and now we're almost to the population the city was in 1970 when it was a lot less square footage built out.
Well, the metropolitan area has definitely expanded in both area and population since 1950 as well.

A good chunk of the population growth occurred in Johnson County, Kan., whose population is now about four times what it was in that year.

And what was a five-county metropolitan area in 1960 now spans 13 counties — seven in Missouri, six in Kansas, and one of those six has really been part of the KC orbit for some time but was never part of the Federally defined metro because it had two major employment centers within it that employed most of the county's residents (Leavenworth County, Kan., which you could ride to on KCATA buses in the 1970s).

And that metropolitan area now has some 2.1 million souls living in it.

Now, maybe the city fathers figured we'd have a metro area population of 3 million.

Old 07-02-2020, 03:14 PM

6,176 posts, read 10,163,031 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovekcmo View Post
KC officials in the 1940s or 1950s were afraid that what happened to STL in terms of boundary lines/growth would happened to KC so they annexed hundreds of acres in the northland to accomate growth that never occurred.
I have to disagree that growth never occurred in the northland. I moved to Clay County in 1989 and what has been built since is phenomenal. Maybe not quite Johnson County-ish, but pretty dang good.

Old 07-02-2020, 03:38 PM

25,313 posts, read 43,255,246 times
Growth rates in large percentages don’t matter, it’s quality of growth compared to quantity of growth.

Old 07-07-2020, 06:05 PM

7 posts, read 8,530 times
i soooo miss Kansas city, live in NY now....

Old 07-07-2020, 06:08 PM

7 posts, read 8,530 times
Wink i soooo miss Kansas city, live in NY now....

I really really miss Kansas city, grew up in Prairie Village, KS SME HS....went to Bryant Elementary on 319 Westover in the mid 1970's...Crushed! Heard they knocked the school down.

Old 07-08-2020, 03:18 PM

1,819 posts, read 1,977,370 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by adkcmo View Post
I really really miss Kansas city, grew up in Prairie Village, KS SME HS....went to Bryant Elementary on 319 Westover in the mid 1970's...Crushed! Heard they knocked the school down.
Bryant is still there (or it was last time I looked). They knocked Paseo High School down, however. In recent years, it has become much more difficult to demolish the remaining old architecture of KC, thankfully.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Kansas City