Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Kansas City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-26-2020, 05:52 PM

13,721 posts, read 19,246,566 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by kcbluesprings View Post
I was out delivering the other day in KCK, and noticed land was being cleared at 8th and Washington, for a large loft project. Is there any information out there on it??
Looks like apartments; supposed to be ready winter 2020. I wonder how much rent will be? https://www.liveatboulevardlofts.com/
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-13-2020, 05:12 PM

15 posts, read 11,891 times
A good part of the reason Kansas City, KS isn't booming is because it doesn't have the 1% "earnings tax" on people who work there. Neighboring Kansas City, MO has the tax, it taxes the workers, then sometimes gives some/most/all of the money back to the big corporations. That is why the big corporations locate there instead of anywhere else. It's like free money for them. As far as I know small businesses don't get to keep the 1%. Only the bigger ones. Some of the bigger ones get the 1% plus get a no property tax on their buildings deal also. Hard for Kansas City, KS to compete with that!

Old 03-13-2020, 11:24 PM

11,108 posts, read 23,871,538 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by safetywire View Post
A good part of the reason Kansas City, KS isn't booming is because it doesn't have the 1% "earnings tax" on people who work there. Neighboring Kansas City, MO has the tax, it taxes the workers, then sometimes gives some/most/all of the money back to the big corporations. That is why the big corporations locate there instead of anywhere else. It's like free money for them. As far as I know small businesses don't get to keep the 1%. Only the bigger ones. Some of the bigger ones get the 1% plus get a no property tax on their buildings deal also. Hard for Kansas City, KS to compete with that!
This is the dumbest thing I have seen somebody say about the etax in a long time. None of this is true.

Old 03-14-2020, 08:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kcmo View Post
This is the dumbest thing I have seen somebody say about the etax in a long time. None of this is true.

My first day on this site and a Troll jumps on one of my posts! Jeez. Can I block people on this site? KCMO is my first one.

My post is 100% true. Not even arguable.

Sigh.

Old 03-14-2020, 11:16 AM

14,147 posts, read 9,038,713 times
Quote:
My first day on this site and a Troll jumps on one of my posts! Jeez. Can I block people on this site? KCMO is my first one.

My post is 100% true. Not even arguable.

Sigh.
Like me, kcmo no longer lives in Kansas City.

Like me, kcmo is a native. And I've discovered in 37 years of living on the East Coast that KC natives love the place to death, even if they may (or will) never live there again.

A lot of us try to stay abreast of what's going on there.

Contrary to your statement, kcmo is no troll.

But the story about companies getting the 1% earnings tax rebated to them in full sounds more like what Kansas did to lure companies across State Line Road - those firms did get to keep all, or almost all, the taxes their employees would have otherwise paid to Topeka.

The flaw in the logic was this: While the companies might move, the workers wouldn't - and thus any workers already living in Kansas now no longer paid into the state coffers, while those living in Missouri didn't move either - and thus paid no new taxes to the counties, cities and school districts.

There's been plenty of electrons spilled over the "border war." Missouri had sued for peace on several occasions. Here's an article from 2016 on a site I write for describing an attempted truce; it took the voters of Kansas dumping the Republican governor responsible for all of this' would-be successor and replacing him with a Democrat for an actual truce to take effect.

In every article I've read on the subject, including the one I just linked to, what the companies who cross the state line get to keep are state, not local, taxes. I've seen nothing stating that companies also got to keep local taxes.

Given that, while kcmo may have been rough on you, he was as far as I can tell standing on factually solid ground.

Old 03-14-2020, 01:36 PM

Not even remotely solid ground. This isn't even debatable. I'm not sure why it's such a hot topic for you two. It's the way it is, and it's been undeniably successful in spurring development.

Could either of you at least "Google" it first before replying? I just did and the very first link is from December 2019 and it has $35,000,000 in local tax incentives..... So neither of you even bothered to Google it first....

Old 03-14-2020, 03:07 PM

Quote:
Not even remotely solid ground. This isn't even debatable. I'm not sure why it's such a hot topic for you two. It's the way it is, and it's been undeniably successful in spurring development.

Could either of you at least "Google" it first before replying? I just did and the very first link is from December 2019 and it has $35,000,000 in local tax incentives..... So neither of you even bothered to Google it first....
Google what? I don't need google.

I'm sorry, but your post was so far off, it was not worth replying to with factual info. But I will try now.

First off let me say this. I like KCK. Always have. The city has so much potential.

But so far that potential has been wasted by the city of KCK and really the entire KS side political and business environment who puts all their incentives into suburban sprawl. Using aggressive incentives to develop greenfields in affluent parts of Johnson County is why nothing happens in KCK. It has NOTHING to do with the KCMO etax. And all that development out by the speedway is the same deal. All of it is propped up with far more incentives than KCMO could or would ever offer, etax or not. So if you are going to use all types of incentives, why not do it in an area that actually needs it? Do you realize that nearly everything out there by the speedway is built with like 75% public funds? From purchasing the land and giving it to developers to using local and state incentives to star bonds. Even the stuff INSIDE of Cabellas was paid for by the state. It's absolutely insane.

So when you put all your effort into building on farm fields or in affluent suburbs that don't need help, then there is zero inventive to do anything in the real parts of KCK.

If anything, the etax hurts KCMO's ability to grow, but DESPITE the etax, the city has grown considerably faster than KCK and always has.

The extax is a tax that employees, residents and businesses pay on their income and profits. If anything at all, this discourages many people and businesses from moving to the city.

Yes, there are a very few cases where the city includes reimbursement of the etax as part of an incentive package for companies. It has been mostly used for very large scale redevelopment projects like the H&R Block HQ and is also part of the incentive package for the Cerner development in SKC. But the KC Etax is generally a small part of these incentive packages. State and other incentives are a much bigger part of the incentives. KCMO rarely uses the etax reimbursement and when they do, it's typically when they are trying to compete with Kansas.

You see, Kansas offers a far more aggressive incentive package than MO does. Especially with tools like STAR bonds which front money up front and reimbursement all state taxes and PEAK incentives. When KCMO uses the etax, you know they are basically doing everything they can to make a project happen and even then, they are typically only closing the gap compared to what Kansas offers.

99.9 percent of business in KCMO don't "get" the etax, they pay it. And the handful that do are using it to build public parking structures or using it to help rebuild surrounding infrastructure. The only real abuse of the KCMO etax incentive is Cerner and I have been one of the biggest critics of the SKC Cerner development on the internet.

Anyway, I din't mean to come across so hard, but you have it backwords. KCMO has done nothing but attempt to fend off Kansas for 40 years now as the Kansas side has done nothing but poach KCMO companies. That includes KCK with poaches as recently as the Dairy Farmers of America.

Now that urban KCMO is a quite desirable place to be and companies are moving back to KCMO from Kansas despite it being more expensive, the Kansas side finally decides they better sign the border war truce. Honestly, I think KCMO should have just said no at this point and raped the KS of all the companies that left it like Waddell and Read who is coming back among others.

KCK could have put that soccer stadium downtown or the cerner buildings or the dairy farmers or some apartments or anything. If just 10% of the office development in JoCo that is heavily subsidized were in downtown KCK instead, downtown KCK would be amazing today. It would be more like Clayton, MO or something similar to maybe Crown Center. Instead, downtown KCK looks worse now than it did in 1980. It has nothing to do with the KCMO etax.

Old 03-14-2020, 03:14 PM

Thanks MarketStEl for having my back. Yeah, I will always love KC and want whats best for it. Not sure I ever really want to move back, I mean, I now realize just how slow paced/anti-change and stubborn/conservative the city is and how insular it is, but it's great city that is still a huge part of me!

I have friends from KC all over the country. All seem to be the same way.

Old 03-14-2020, 03:33 PM

KCMO - you said "where the city includes reimbursement of the etax as part of an incentive package for companies. It has been mostly used for very large scale redevelopment projects like the H&R Block HQ and is also part of the incentive package for the Cerner development in SKC."

Exactly one post back you said that was not true..... So when I say it, it's dumb and not true, you say it, it's truth. Got it.

Old 03-14-2020, 03:44 PM

I said it has nothing to do with lack of development in KCK. And while the tax has been reimbursed a few times, it's hardly common and is not the reason companies are in KCMO. Your post was misleading at best. Sorry.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Kansas City