Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Kansas City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-07-2020, 09:45 AM

15 posts, read 14,031 times

Advertisements

My husband and I are relocating to the KCMO area with our four year old son this summer. We'll be selling our Denver home and buying in Missouri.
Our son will be in kindergarten this coming school year, so good schools are very important to us. We're hoping to buy in the 275 - 300K range.
I'll be working remote from home, and my husband will be looking for part-time work in retail, so proximity to an office isn't an issue.
We're very set on living in the Missouri side with a current focus on Lee's Summit or Blue Springs. Are there other areas we should be considering? Our priorities are good schools, lots of local activities for kids and families, close to walking and biking trails.
My personal preference is a home that is very walkable to stores, restaurants, etc., but it seems like that's pretty impossible to find in our budget and a good school district. If anyone knows of any areas I'm overlooking - would appreciate any advice!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-07-2020, 11:27 AM

264 posts, read 250,400 times
Any suburb in KC isn't walkable in my book within reasonable distance to anything really. I would focus on Lee's Summit and maybe add Parkville to your list of areas to look into.

Old 01-07-2020, 11:50 AM

Thanks - I'll take a look at Parkville. From my time visiting KCMO, it definitely seems like walkability isn't a priority in those suburban areas - so I assumed it was a long shot. Had to check with the local experts though!

Old 01-07-2020, 01:46 PM

36 posts, read 38,025 times
Curious why being on the Missouri side is important to you. Not that it's a bad decision. The areas you mentioned will have good schools. It's just unusual for people from out of town to automatically prefer one side over the other if they're living in the suburbs either way.

Old 01-07-2020, 03:53 PM

6,816 posts, read 11,542,919 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chicago2kc View Post
Curious why being on the Missouri side is important to you. Not that it's a bad decision. The areas you mentioned will have good schools. It's just unusual for people from out of town to automatically prefer one side over the other if they're living in the suburbs either way.
My guess is her housing price range. Much more bang for the buck in Missouri vs. Johnson County.

OP: I would also look north of the river in Clay and Platte Counties and Liberty, Park Hill and North Kansas City school districts.

Old 01-08-2020, 09:55 AM

Exactly right - we can get more house for our money on the Missouri side, and taxes are lower (although not as much as we'd prefer).

Great advice, I'll take a look farther north to see what we can find. Thanks!

Old 01-08-2020, 11:28 AM

11,108 posts, read 23,886,188 times
Lol, you will soon find out that walkability is not a priority in any suburb of KC. There are hardly any pedestrians in the central city let alone the burbs. This is not a slam, it’s just KC. The only true walkable suburb in KC is Brookside and because that’s not in a suburban district, that’s not an option.

That said, I would look at Liberty. You might be able to find something you like near downtown Liberty, although the homes will be older there. Same with Downtown Lee’s Summit. There is not a lot of new construction in KC in walkable suburban areas.

Northgate is like a small version of Stapleton. It’s in an inner suburban area though, so schools may not be as good as the schools further north in the NKC district. Although I personally wouldn't think twice about raising kids in that area. This area is very close to downtown NKC.
https://www.google.com/maps/place/No...!4d-94.5729781

If you can’t find something walkable to retail etc, go for being walkable to recreation with lots of parks, water and trees nearby. For that I would choose northern Lee’s Summit
https://www.google.com/maps/place/No...!4d-94.5729781

Good luck!

Old 01-08-2020, 04:12 PM

12,956 posts, read 13,673,944 times
Brookside or the west Plaza have a good urban vibe. My 25-30ish kids live or lived in downtown, Chicago, Denver, and KCMO. The KCMO kids live in Brookside and the Plaza. Google maps the area around the Blue Bird Bistro in the west plaza 1700 Summit St, Kansas City, MO 64108 if you want to take a look. Its seems pretty typical to me of the City. The Charter school system is good, lots of foreign language for elementary school kids.

Last edited by thriftylefty; 01-08-2020 at 04:24 PM..

Old 01-08-2020, 10:03 PM

37,409 posts, read 53,569,981 times
Lee's Summit is walkable, if you live adjacent to the downtown area (I did, for a number of years).

Old 01-09-2020, 10:23 AM

That's incredibly helpful - thank you everyone. I'm going to take a closer look at Downtown Lee's Summit and Liberty. I hadn't thought to consider Liberty before, but it looks like it has potential!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Kansas City