Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Kansas City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-25-2020, 11:36 PM

17 posts, read 13,035 times

Advertisements

We are looking to buy a house very soon. We want to live in Liberty school district. The homes we are looking at are in KC but liberty school district. If we make a combined income of 150k. That is an additional tax of 1500$ per year to be in KC vs living in Liberty. What am I missing? We could put that into a larger house payment in Liberty? Is there some other tax in liberty that I am unaware of? The property taxes look about the same as KC? My husband works at home and I will be looking for a job but even if I end up in KC and live in Liberty we would save roughly half that. Help everyone that’s local...what am I missing. Getting ready to Make and offer on a house in KC and wondering if we shouldn’t be in Liberty. Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-26-2020, 08:34 AM

11,108 posts, read 23,876,006 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suzie100 View Post
We are looking to buy a house very soon. We want to live in Liberty school district. The homes we are looking at are in KC but liberty school district. If we make a combined income of 150k. That is an additional tax of 1500$ per year to be in KC vs living in Liberty. What am I missing? We could put that into a larger house payment in Liberty? Is there some other tax in liberty that I am unaware of? The property taxes look about the same as KC? My husband works at home and I will be looking for a job but even if I end up in KC and live in Liberty we would save roughly half that. Help everyone that’s local...what am I missing. Getting ready to Make and offer on a house in KC and wondering if we shouldn’t be in Liberty. Thanks
The etax is really not that big of a deal. You also get free trash pick up in KCMO which is typically about $20 in most suburbs.

Honestly though, if you make 150k a year, then $1000-$2000 a year should hardly even factor into the equation on where you will buy a home and live your lives for who knows how many years. And you could end up working in KCMO and paying the tax regardless.

Just choose the home and the neighborhood you like the most.

If it gives you any piece of mind, the "kansas city side" of Liberty has grown much much faster than Liberty itself despite the Etax, so I think most people are choosing the KC side and not putting too much thought into the Etax.

Again, the first thing should be do you like the house and neighborhood? Pick that first. I have never understood why people would choose a less desirable place to move to based on a very minimal tax difference. I left KC and now pay 3% etax. All our taxes are higher, but I personally think it's worth it for the quality of life I prefer and the amenities offered in this area.

That's a nice part of metro KC. Can't go wrong either way.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Kansas City
View detailed profiles of: