Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Kansas City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-08-2008, 07:41 AM

2 posts, read 6,491 times

Advertisements

I am relocating to Kansas City from St.Louis. I am native american and my husband is white. We've dealt with constant racism from blacks in St.Louis, we've never had any problems with white people in St.Louis. Me and my grandfather walk in malls in St.Louis and since we're dark skinned we get called Wet Backs and told to go home by blacks in St.Louis. My daughter has been told by groups of black kids in St.Louis that she can't play with them because she's not black. Mixed Black white families tend to be the worse about racism. Is there a good area in K.C. to avoid this type of thing or is K.C. alot like St.Louis?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-08-2008, 03:45 PM

5,765 posts, read 10,995,839 times
I have never seen anything like that happen here. I am sure it happens to some extent everywhere but I have minority friends and I have not heard of them having those types of problems.

I am shocked that people from a minority would treat another minority group that poorly.

Old 05-09-2008, 11:18 AM

418 posts, read 1,280,451 times
I don't think you would have any problems in KC. I found black people in St. Louis to be very racist the times i've been there. Now that is not ALL of them, but the majority.

I live in a diverse part of KC (midtown area) and have lived in the burbs (liberty, north of the river) and I have not seen any people being racist in those areas, though many in the Bannister Mall type area in south KC can be... not overly so though.

Everyone has different experiences though...

Old 05-09-2008, 12:31 PM

12,063 posts, read 31,611,075 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skrazzle View Post
I don't think you would have any problems in KC. I found black people in St. Louis to be very racist the times i've been there. Now that is not ALL of them, but the majority.
the majority? What a bunch of over-generalized garbage.

To the OP: I am sorry you experienced what you have in St. Louis, but what I don't get is your point about mixed race families being the worst. I find this over-general, and really against common sense. The mixed families I have known have consistently been some of the most understanding and open-minded about issues of race, because they too have experienced tension from both whites and blacks.

Old 05-09-2008, 02:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aragx6 View Post
the majority? What a bunch of over-generalized garbage.

To the OP: I am sorry you experienced what you have in St. Louis, but what I don't get is your point about mixed race families being the worst. I find this over-general, and really against common sense. The mixed families I have known have consistently been some of the most understanding and open-minded about issues of race, because they too have experienced tension from both whites and blacks.
Everything on these forums besides pictures and hard data are based on peoples experiences and of course generalizations.

St. Louis has been the city i've disliked more then any other city i've been, and i've been pretty much everywhere in the US with a few exceptions. The reason I disliked it wasn't the city itself, it was the people... I was in the urban core of the city, around mostly black people, and the majority of the ones I encountered were racist. Maybe it's because I was with a girl who was half black/asian. Though that was only one time.

Generalization? Sure... but it doesn't change the fact that of the many times i've been there that has been my experience. I'd rather hang out in ghettos in KC then downtown St. Louis.

Old 05-09-2008, 10:54 PM

5,812 posts, read 18,823,233 times
It does seem like a generalization to say that Blacks are more racist than whites.

But if Skazzle doesn't like St. Louis nothing you say will change his mind.

Old 05-10-2008, 06:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by STLCardsBlues1989 View Post
It does seem like a generalization to say that Blacks are more racist than whites.

But if Skazzle doesn't like St. Louis nothing you say will change his mind.
It would be a generalization to say blacks are more racist than whites.

And while my statement was a generalization based on my experiences, I never said blacks are more racist than whites. I said black people in St. Louis seemed very racist based on my experience. White people might be just as bad in St. Louis but to be honest, I wasn't around many white people when I was there so I have no clue.

But yeah, pretty much nothing will change my mind, St. Louis may be great for some people, but I just don't care for it, I'll give it a few years and maybe check it out again, though there is little reason too, it doesn't have much to offer that isn't in KC already (thats not to say it has nothing to offer).

Old 05-17-2008, 11:36 PM

9 posts, read 28,287 times
First, I think your move from St. Louis to Kansas City is a great decision. I'm black and do not like the idea of even visiting St. Louis because it's so racially polarized.

In my opinion, Kansas City doesn't have nearly the problems that St. Louis appears to have. Of course, racism, discrimination, and unfair generalizations are everywhere to some extent; however, Kansas City has more balance it seems.

I'm a city dweller and closer to the KS/MO state line so I don't experience or witness the problems of what's defined as the "urban core." Nevertheless, compared to what I've seen and heard from other cities in the U.S. (esp. St. Louis), Kansas City is one of the hidden treasures.

All the best to you!

Quote:
Originally Posted by stlouisgirl02 View Post
I am relocating to Kansas City from St.Louis. I am native american and my husband is white. We've dealt with constant racism from blacks in St.Louis, we've never had any problems with white people in St.Louis. Me and my grandfather walk in malls in St.Louis and since we're dark skinned we get called Wet Backs and told to go home by blacks in St.Louis. My daughter has been told by groups of black kids in St.Louis that she can't play with them because she's not black. Mixed Black white families tend to be the worse about racism. Is there a good area in K.C. to avoid this type of thing or is K.C. alot like St.Louis?

Old 05-19-2008, 05:55 PM

14 posts, read 56,833 times
The ghetto blacks are racist in KC. I was in a bad neighborhood near indiana ave one day and was told to leave the neighborhod by a black guy because i was white. I didn't immediatly leave so he threatened me with gun violence.

Old 05-25-2008, 01:46 PM

5 posts, read 11,886 times
YES, Kansas City is a racist city. There have been crimes with whites assaulting blacks in the news recently. especially in the North Part of KC. I used to live in Johnson County in the Kansas side and constantly got stares with my wife from the Grocery stores to even the Malls. Probably because Im latino and shes white. I currently live in the Western part of Kansas City,Kansas and its not any better. I believe its something your going to have to accept. This city is mainly white and the small number of minorities are confined to the urban core meaning the downtown area. And believe me...its not some place you'd like to live. But if you do decide to move here...you wont have problems with blacks...it'll be more than likely whites giving you stares.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Kansas City