Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Kansas City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-20-2008, 06:09 PM

5 posts, read 13,437 times

Advertisements

Hello!

I am considering a position in Independence and am looking at possible places to live. What are the better or more upscale suburbs to live in that area? I am willing to have up to a 30 minute commute. I have done some reading about various areas and suburbs and my head is spinning.

We are from small towns originally, but like the activities closer to cities and yet a smaller town feel. We do need greenspace, want a decent yard, like to golf and bicycle. Being close to nightlife isn't a need. We are between 34-45 years old. We are likely interested in renting a home (not condo or apartment) at first and maybe buy at a later time.

So, what area would you recommend for us?

Thanks so much for your help!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-20-2008, 06:47 PM

26,407 posts, read 46,581,861 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by slyspyder View Post
Hello!

I am considering a position in Independence and am looking at possible places to live. What are the better or more upscale suburbs to live in that area? I am willing to have up to a 30 minute commute. I have done some reading about various areas and suburbs and my head is spinning.

We are from small towns originally, but like the activities closer to cities and yet a smaller town feel. We do need greenspace, want a decent yard, like to golf and bicycle. Being close to nightlife isn't a need. We are between 34-45 years old. We are likely interested in renting a home (not condo or apartment) at first and maybe buy at a later time.

So, what area would you recommend for us?

Thanks so much for your help!
It depends on whether you want to live in Missouri or Kansas?

For upscale Missouri suburbs I would recommend:
Lee's Summit
smaller size towns include: Liberty, Weatherby Lake, Platte City, Pleasant Hill, etc.

In Kansas I would recommend:
Leawood
De Soto
Lenexa
Shawnee

Old 05-20-2008, 07:08 PM

Wouldn't it be best for me to live in Missouri since I would be working in Independence?

I don't think I have a strong preference as to which state I live in. I live in Missouri now, but am open to Kansas if it is a better community, etc.

Old 05-20-2008, 07:27 PM

11,108 posts, read 23,888,805 times
Lee's Summit.

Old 05-20-2008, 09:29 PM

543 posts, read 2,310,535 times
What part of Independence will you be working? Nice areas off of 39th st. Raytown wouldn't be a bad commute. Lots of houses for rent in Raytown. Not upscale, Raytown is definitely a middle class area.

Old 05-21-2008, 10:20 AM

12,282 posts, read 13,239,617 times
Check out Blue Springs as well.

Old 05-21-2008, 02:27 PM

Thanks, I sure will! I have also heard about Green Valley. Is that a good area?

As an aside, we also like to boat. Where are the boating locations for Kansas City? What lakes and/or rivers do people use for recreational boating/water sports?

Old 05-21-2008, 03:37 PM

2,153 posts, read 5,538,358 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by slyspyder View Post
Thanks, I sure will! I have also heard about Green Valley. Is that a good area?

As an aside, we also like to boat. Where are the boating locations for Kansas City? What lakes and/or rivers do people use for recreational boating/water sports?
It's Grain Valley, and yes it is a nice area. There is also a Greenwood by Lee's Summit that is a nice area also. That's a bit further out though.

Im not sure how upscale you are looking but you might want to check out Parkville, MO. It is a very very nice area in a very very good school district with reasonable housing but also some very upscale stuff. To get to Independence though you would be hitting it pretty close on that 30 minute commute time.

I live in KC, MO technically but it's like a mile from the Parkville city limit. You can find some very nice areas up in the northland for a very reasonable amount of money.

You really can't go wrong, with areas like Parkville, Blue Springs, Lee's Summit, Grain Valley.

Old 05-23-2008, 09:56 PM

543 posts, read 2,310,535 times
For recreational boating there is Longview Lake and Smithville Lake, its a 3 hour drive to Lake of the Ozarks, which is what we prefer. But with the price of gas we will be staying closer to home this year.

Old 05-25-2008, 01:55 PM

5 posts, read 11,892 times
If you are looking to stay within a resonable commute time from Independence
A small town feel is just 10 minutes east in Grain Valley.
North Blue Springs...more upscale
Lee Summit is upscale as well.
North Grain valley is fairly new with moderately upscale homes going in.
or Liberty which is a little of upscale to moderatly priced homes.
Independence itself has pockets of nice neighborhoods.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Kansas City