Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Kansas City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-26-2022, 06:39 PM

6,815 posts, read 11,534,335 times

Advertisements

Agree…Platte County. Park Hill School District. Absolutely no reason to look in Johnson County.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-27-2022, 08:22 AM

654 posts, read 630,160 times
Why would you do that to yourself, living in Johnson County Kansas and working in Platte County? Not knowing exactly where your work will be, I will just estimate to a central location in Platte county, say MO 152 and I 29. Commuting from northern Johnson County would be at least 25 min, from southern or western, you are looking at 35-40 min. Honestly, if I was moving into the KC metro area right now, and wanted to live somewhere suburban, I would move to the Shoal Creek/Liberty area. Everything is much newer and nicer than all but the very far southern reaches of Johnson County, and those areas are both too expensive and too far south in the metro area for me if I want to enjoy all that KC has to offer.

Old 10-29-2022, 07:43 PM

165 posts, read 142,933 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben_FL View Post
Thank you very much for this detailed information. Everyone else's inputs are appreciated too. I am reading all and taking all into consideration. If moving here, I will be working in Platte County, MO. Driving will be a bit on the Kansas side but it sounds like Johnson county is where it's coming to with my budge and suburban setting. Other areas are out of reach it seems.
In your original post, you did not mention working in Platte County. If that is the case, as others have posted, you should probably look north of the river as your commute will be shorter. Plus your budget will likely buy you a larger home. But also take at least a cursory look at Johnson County too. In my opinion, as suburban locations go, it's superior to the northland (development is far more contiguous with a better range of homes, neighborhoods, amenities and commercial activity). If you were to live in the northern part of Johnson County, the drive up I-635 into Platte County isn't too bad. But your shortest commutes will obviously be in either Platte or Clay County and you can most likely probably find something you like there too.

As far as tornadoes are concerned. Get a home with a basement and then don't worry about them. The metro (which is a very large area) gets a couple of warnings per year but touchdowns by large tornadoes that cause significant damage and fatalities are pretty rare.

Old 10-29-2022, 11:06 PM

10,292 posts, read 6,813,150 times
With the OP's budget, you have tons of choices at your fingertips.

Independence? Sure, easy

Raytown? Are you kidding? With $550k, you could buy a whole BLOCK!

Here's one, and you can keep $175k for future use...

https://www.zillow.com/homedetails/3.../2313172_zpid/

(I'd offer 'em $325 and they'd probably bite. Or, wait 12-15 months and pick it up for $250k...)

Or less....

Last edited by NORTY FLATZ; 10-29-2022 at 11:13 PM.. Reason: added stuff, ya know?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Kansas City