Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Kansas City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-27-2008, 05:07 PM

1 posts, read 8,487 times

Advertisements

Hi everyone! My husband is in the military and just found out we are going to be going to Ft. Leavenworth. I know nothing about Kansas or that area. I was wondering if anyone could tell me the good, bad, ugly and scary. We'll be moving right after the holidays. Thanks in advance!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-27-2008, 06:17 PM

378 posts, read 1,620,839 times
I've never lived in Leavenworth, but I have visited a few times. That entire area in the northeast part of the state (along the Kansas-Missouri border) is extremely beautiful.

Old 10-09-2008, 09:17 AM

1 posts, read 8,438 times
Thumbs up Leavenworth, KS

We just moved to Leavenworth, and we love it. The people are very friendly. I went on post a week ago to scrapbook with some ladies....the housing they were in was nice...but I did drive by some that looked older on the outside. Also it is very rich in history. Lots of shopping within 15 mile(in Kansas City) and we are getting a Supercenter Wal-Mart, (they say it will open Summer 09)
Also, I know a great church Northwest Baptist Church on 18th St.....HeeHee...my husband is the pastor. You can check our website for times of services.

Old 10-15-2008, 09:14 PM

268 posts, read 1,613,901 times
The post itself is really nice. The town itself is really boring. I lived there from 1995-2000 and my parents still live there. My mother says the "mall" is virtually empty (JC Penny, Sears closed. The movie theatre is packing it in). Downtown is looking pretty empty. Since the other theatre is closing, there's only one movie theatre left, which has a mere four screens. You're going to do most of your shopping in North Kansas City, which is a half hour-45-minute drive. The north side of Leavenworth is a little sketchy.

Bright spots: High Noon Saloon brews its own beer, and it's quite tasty! There's a nice riverfront park to take your kids and the community center is pretty nice. The high schools there are of pretty good qaulity. Kansas City Kansas Community College has a sattelite campus if you need to go back to school.

I wouldn't move back, but some seem to enjoy it. Good luck.

Old 11-03-2008, 06:28 AM

165 posts, read 463,767 times
We are currently living in Leavenworth. I love it here. We moved here just before the holiday's last year (and are getting ready to move again just before the holidays this year).
The WORST thing we faced with moving in that time frame was the snow and ice. And unfortunately, you won't be able to predict what you'll encounter. We followed a huge ice storm here last year and had to chip away at 2 inches of solid ice on our driveway before we could get our movers in here. Everything (the trees, etc.) will be REALLY ugly when you arrive but hold out for Spring and you will see the prettiest greens that you've ever seen!
There isn't a whole lot to do in Leavenworth itself, but you will be within 20 minutes of great shopping, food, etc. I'd be happy to answer any other questions. Based on when you are arriving...are you/your spouse headed for CGSC?

Old 11-22-2009, 07:09 AM

3 posts, read 13,017 times
My husband will be going to the CGSC( ILE) course in July 2010. We have decided the kids and I will stay here in Ga, we really do not want to move them twice in two years with schools. We are still in a subdivision that is being built and know we cannot sale our house by that time frame. We also has a house in San Antonio, Texas we are renting out due to not being able to sale it. So moving is really not a good thing for the whole family right now.

He is planning on trying to find a couple of the guys from the school to room with. We had a friend that just did that, and it worked out very well. Can you tell me what areas not to look for renting at? I have started my search, but not really sure what areas and suck to look at. I know it is early to start looking but the more information I can get the better. Thank you!

Old 02-26-2010, 10:38 PM

27 posts, read 177,899 times
I like the Platte City, MO area, personally, and Lansing has some nice areas, as well. I did just see a very cute house for sale just outside of the west gate today, I'm not sure it would still be for rent come July, housing is really hard to find at those peak times of incoming ILE classes. There aren't many areas right in Leavenworth I think are very nice. With having several guys renting together, they may be willing to stay in less family friendly areas, though. Your husband can always check with the Housing Services Office, they have a room mate network and available houses for rent off post, that they can help with.

Fort Leavenworth, KS • Housing

Old 06-01-2010, 08:27 PM

2 posts, read 10,258 times
NMTX2GA: My wife and I have a beautiful home for rent on 26 acres about 10 miles out the back gate from the fort. 3BR, 3.5 bath. It would be great for 2-3 guys especially if they have dogs, like the outdoors, etc. Comes with toys: 2 excellent diesel tractors and an array of attachments. Fenced pasture and 2-stall horse barn. Big storage barn with concrete floor and electricity. $1700 month isn't much for a MAJ split 2 or 3 ways. Check it out on militarybyowner.com -- it's on 199th street in Easton, KS. Or just send me a note.

Old 06-02-2010, 07:42 AM

34 posts, read 81,622 times
Beautiful hill country up there. Close to KC. Good river access. Ummmm... Melissa Etheridge is from there. You could read a biography on her and get her impressions from growing up a lesbian, singer-songwriter in Leavenworth. I wouldnt though.

Old 03-20-2011, 08:37 PM

1 posts, read 5,364 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mark.crowson View Post
NMTX2GA: My wife and I have a beautiful home for rent on 26 acres about 10 miles out the back gate from the fort. 3BR, 3.5 bath. It would be great for 2-3 guys especially if they have dogs, like the outdoors, etc. Comes with toys: 2 excellent diesel tractors and an array of attachments. Fenced pasture and 2-stall horse barn. Big storage barn with concrete floor and electricity. $1700 month isn't much for a MAJ split 2 or 3 ways. Check it out on militarybyowner.com -- it's on 199th street in Easton, KS. Or just send me a note.
My husband is returning from overseas in July 2011; looking desperately for some peace and quiet -does not want a rental in a subdivision; he is a LTC and will be on permanent party there at Leavenworth...are you still renting this property and any chance it will be available soon in the next 3-4 months? We went to CGSC back in 06 and loved the Easton area; had a friend living out that way....so if you know anyone else renting we would love to talk to them as well....thanks!
Lorianne
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Kansas City