U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Kansas City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-06-2008, 09:26 AM

5,740 posts, read 6,020,772 times
Here is the website: Lane4 Property Group | The Trails (http://www.thetrailskc.com/thetrails/index.cfm - broken link)

The project is estimated to bring atleast 6,500 new jobs. Thats much needed in the current economic environment.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-11-2008, 11:46 AM

419 posts, read 859,937 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RjRobb2 View Post
So, instead of building something there and revitalizing it we should just leave it there and continue to let it be blighted?

I'm sorry but that is just dumb.

That is prime space for something that will be generate massive revenue for the city.

It is also a central location that can provide another entertainment destination.

Crime sticks to blighted areas with no activity. If you add activity, money, and crowds the crime will disappear.

But, you're right. Let's do nothing and let it rot so that it will continue to be the place for drug dealing, murder, and other crimes. That's a genius idea.
I am all for revitalizing an area in decay, but you can't just put something that people will want to go to there and expect that to fix the problem.

It will only work if the area has security like the Power and Light District, and even then downtown KC was never considered unsafe, just boring. The only thing security is there for is to keep bad elements out and protecting the investment made there.

Bannister Mall area has several problems:

1. It is considered a dangerous area.
2. It has nothing to offer, Walmart closed, Best Buy burned down and wouldn't even reopen, everything around it has closed, they couldn't even keep blockbuster running. The area is a mall with broken windows, and a road that has a few fast food joints on it. That's it.
3. It isn't the most convenient location. KC already has enough sprawl, it's bad enough the Royals and Chiefs stadiums are not in the heart of the City and the airport is way up north. Downtown/midtown should have more investment as the entertainment district and as such to reduce all the driving we already have to do things like this should be built there.

Now I do think the Bannister mall area should be fixed up, but you gotta solve other problems first. The schools are horribe, the neighborhoods are full of people who don't care about their property and maintaining it, etc etc.... i'd rather see an investment on education there, and things to improve peoples property, bring in some basic businesses that are in most suburban neighborhoods that people want. Most of them right now people living there have to drive to lee's summit for.

We are in a recession, when you consider starting a new business how many people do you think say wow this is the area I want to invest in.

Now personally I do think it's an area that would be GREAT to invest in, if more stuff was done to improve the area first. It has markets that need to be served, but you have to consider at what cost. Many places closed down because of lack of customers and theft. If the people in the area don't respect their own surroundings, nothing is going to thrive there.

As far as crime disappears if the area has activity... the people make the area. Bannister Mall used to thrive, it was a great mall. The strip around it used to have a lot of quality stores. There was activity, and it fell apart. It fell apart because of the people who started moving to the area in the early to mid 90s, who didn't care about their neighborhoods. I know this area, i'm not talking as an outsider, i've watched it go from good to bad to worse and i've seen what caused it.

This is a major investment in an area that has failed. I'd like to see more of what they plan to do to bring other businesses there. Downtown development has been massive, it was close to westport and the plaza, it had a lot more to make investments there attractive. It also is a prime area to move too because of jobs and sprawl is less an of issue, many places are walkable. You won't find that in the bannister mall area.

If their plan was to buy up the surrounding neighborhoods, move people out and completely rebuild, that might help a bit, but the school system still needs to be fixed too... and from what i've seen personally the teachers aren't the problem, it's students who don't care and have parents who don't care and they go on to have kids who don't care....

Last edited by skrazzle; 12-11-2008 at 11:56 AM..

Old 12-11-2008, 12:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by northbound74 View Post
This is the kind of attitude that hurts the marginal parts of town. People hear of one or two bad things happening, and they never go back.
In the four years I've lived here, I've heard of drive-by shootings in almost every suburb, including those in Kansas.
People leave Raytown for the greener pastures of Lee's Summit, yet I'm certain Lee's Summit has had as many, if not more violence as Raytown recently. Of course, I'm just going by what I see on the news.
There has been some really crazy stuff happen at Oak Park mall. Yet the people who are so afraid of just about everything, they still go there.

I don't know what to make of it.

A place like Kansas City will never improve if they pour all their energy into developing places like Zona Rosa, which doesn't really fill a need, instead of redeveloping what's already there in places that do need the help.
Of course, citizens have to realize that supporting developments like Bannister is in their best interest. Also, the city should do their part in making it as safe of an experience as possible.

Zona Rosa. I like the place, but my goodness, was it really necessary? What was so horribly wrong with Metro North? All ZR is, is a replacement for the latter, from what I can tell. Then there's poor little Antioch...
I realize developers will do what they want, but the city should give them incentives to stay closer in, and to redevelop existing property.
Sprawl makes no sense, and it's just fueled by people's fears. Look at the trends. Younger people want to live in cities again. Redeveloping Bannister will go a long way into making KC, the city, a nice place to live in again.
Metro North has problems because of the owner. It is the owner who has not wanted to re-fill the empty spots inside. When it was finally purchased for redevelopment we hit the recession.

Zona Rosa was a great idea. The area was growing, much of what is around Zona Rosa wasn't there years ago, its expanding, not an area in blight. It is near the airport, they are opening up new schools in the area. It's growing. To serve the growing community they added a district with shopping/restrauntents/entertainment/ and housing. My problem is they should have added more housing, townhomes, etc, formed a more walkable community.

Though that is what I think suburbs should normally have, be more walkable and serviced by rail to downtown/midown which should be the business and entertainment centers of the city.

As I said in my first reply, building stadiums all over the place I think was the wrong thing to do, it can be made to work eventually, but I feel our sprawl is bad enough. Zona Rosa has helped reduced some of the distance i'm sure many people up north had to travel (as metro north fell apart and at the time was owned by someone who deterred invesement into it) to independence or oak park for many of the same things.

Old 12-11-2008, 12:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kcmo View Post
The Bannister Mall area is actually not a bad area. It's stable, has little crime etc.

It's just a modest area that needs some TLC and this would be a great project for the area.

The problems at the mall had nothing to do with the area around the mall.
Do you LIVE in the bannister mall area? I don't know a single person who has or does live there that didn't want to get out, because the area is a horrible area.

Old 12-11-2008, 09:51 PM

Skrazzle-

I appreciate your feedback. You seem to have some good insight on the area.

I am not sure how much you have read up on the new project but they are doing far more than fixing it up.

They are basically tearing down everything that currently exist down to the dirt underneath the parking lots. They are also buying out some of the residential areas surrounding it.

The area does have its problems and they wont be fixed overnight. However, this project is an excellent start. Spending 1 Billion dollars to renovate the area should make drastic strides.

The fact that it will generate 6,500 jobs speaks for itself. Not to mention that it will raise property values surrounding it. Projects like this also tend to bring in real estate developers and investors that will want to invest in property surrounding it to take advantage of the value increase as well as respond to what will likely be a demand in suitable residential real estate surrounding the project.

Old 01-22-2009, 12:07 PM

13,697 posts, read 3,807,114 times
Looks like they started demolition of the mall building this week.

Old 01-22-2009, 12:11 PM

7,493 posts, read 8,936,769 times
This is an awesome project. I have not gone to a Wizards game in years, but will probably buy at least partial season tickets when the new stadium opens.

I hope Cerner or Stowers builds in the first phase as well to bring some more white collar jobs to the area.

Old 01-22-2009, 01:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoNative34 View Post
Looks like they started demolition of the mall building this week.

They started external demolition yesterday.

Old 02-18-2009, 07:57 PM

Here is some tidbits about the project that were just highlighted on the radio by a Rob Heineman, one of the Wizards owners

- Site is bigger than Disney World (over 400 acres).

- 1/3 of the mall is gone.

- Close to a large company relocating to KC to be the major tenant of the district. More news within 60 days.

- Sound retaining roof. Very steep bleachers.

- NCAA, NAIA, and high school sports will all have events at the stadium.

- Probably gonna partner with AEG for some concerts, and hopefully it'll be the number one outdoor concert venue in KC.

- New stadium will have free parking

- Stadium will open before retail portion. OnGoal will own most of the hotel, retail, restaurants, etc.

- Hoping for 8 million visitors a year to the district.

- 10,000 new jobs

- Pushing for MLS Cup or All-Star game in 2012 and 2013.

- Hopefully, most of the district development will be finished by 2012.

Old 02-18-2009, 08:29 PM

491 posts, read 507,887 times
Thanks for that info. Very interesting.

Any idea of the "major company relocating to KC" is coming from somewhere else in the metro area? or is it from another part of the country?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Kansas City