Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Kansas City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-11-2008, 10:40 PM

612 posts, read 1,843,607 times

Advertisements

By good ones, I meant better varsity sports and education.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-15-2008, 04:50 PM

10 posts, read 32,533 times
When we were looking for a home in Johnson County 6 years ago, we found that, far and away, our money stretched much further the farther south we went. We were able to purchase a larger, brand new home with fixtures and finishings of our choosing for the same price as a 20 year-old home, with outdated decor in the more established areas of Johnson County. In Merriam, you'll be close to I-35 and be able to get to Olathe within 20-25 minutes. I'd check out the homes available there. The Olathe school system gets high marks as well.

Old 12-15-2008, 05:39 PM

1,662 posts, read 4,503,629 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LabGirl View Post
When we were looking for a home in Johnson County 6 years ago, we found that, far and away, our money stretched much further the farther south we went. We were able to purchase a larger, brand new home with fixtures and finishings of our choosing for the same price as a 20 year-old home, with outdated decor in the more established areas of Johnson County. In Merriam, you'll be close to I-35 and be able to get to Olathe within 20-25 minutes. I'd check out the homes available there. The Olathe school system gets high marks as well.
We found the same thing 10 years ago, only we went West as opposed to South. We are in the West part of Shawnee in the DeSoto school district, also very good. However - we've been considering moving lately and the same is no longer true!

Housing has done a bit of a turnaround in JoCo. The newer more "trendy" homes are more expensive than the older ones in the older neighborhoods now.

Old 12-15-2008, 08:01 PM

26,407 posts, read 46,581,861 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Samantha S View Post
We found the same thing 10 years ago, only we went West as opposed to South. We are in the West part of Shawnee in the DeSoto school district, also very good. However - we've been considering moving lately and the same is no longer true!

Housing has done a bit of a turnaround in JoCo. The newer more "trendy" homes are more expensive than the older ones in the older neighborhoods now.

That is unfortunate due to the fact that the houses built a few decades ago are generally built with superior craftmanship and are of far better quality overall than the cookie cutter houses of today. A prime example of this quality construction is found in the Brookridge neighborhood in Overland Park that has ranch houses on large lots.

Old 12-15-2008, 09:55 PM

1,662 posts, read 4,503,629 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GraniteStater View Post
That is unfortunate due to the fact that the houses built a few decades ago are generally built with superior craftmanship and are of far better quality overall than the cookie cutter houses of today. A prime example of this quality construction is found in the Brookridge neighborhood in Overland Park that has ranch houses on large lots.

I agree completely -- except, I have always preferred the older homes as opposed to the mcmansions -- so I'm not calling it unfortunate -- I'm calling my real estate agent!!

Old 11-26-2009, 08:36 PM

2 posts, read 3,420 times
I have been living here for a long time, next to the Johnson County Executive Airport. I really think all the neighborhoods around it are great and since its an airport it protects the farmland, so you get the best of every living space, suburban, rurual, and, and urban. The school districts are nice bcause nobody discriminates based on wealth. Nobody cares! And you are in bluevalley schools or Olathe schools, Olathe is one of the greenest in the region and bluevalley is the best in the state and one of the best in the country! There is now reason not to move here, this is a great area! KC is alo nice, westport and the plaza are the best places to go if you want the city, and the news stations are wonderful too.

Old 11-27-2009, 02:26 AM

1 posts, read 1,388 times
love to see any area wish to spend my whole vacation in Johnson County, and to mingle from a different people.I'm interested to know more about that place.Hope anyone can give some idea which part is the best to stay.

Old 11-27-2009, 08:55 AM

26,407 posts, read 46,581,861 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gajie View Post
love to see any area wish to spend my whole vacation in Johnson County, and to mingle from a different people.I'm interested to know more about that place.Hope anyone can give some idea which part is the best to stay.
All the cultural attractions are in Kansas City, MO.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Kansas City