Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Kansas City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-06-2008, 09:21 PM

1 posts, read 2,357 times

Advertisements

I havent used this site before, but i thought i'd give it a shot to see if anybody in the KC area knew of a pediatrician nearby who is open-minded about alternative vaccine schedules. ?? We seem to have different views than our current pediatrician and would very much like to see who else is out there. Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-07-2008, 07:39 PM

543 posts, read 2,310,535 times
Hard to find one that will abide by your wishes. Unfortunately mine I had for my kids has died. A good pediatrician should listen to your concerns and abide by your wishes. We have a family history of vaccine problems.My kids dr. was wonderful, even lied on some records so they could get in to school. DD is having the same problems now with our 3 month old grandson. Cannot believe how many vaccines these tiny little bodies receive all at once. Keep looking, talk to friends, the dr. should listen to you though after all he is working for you. Sad thing is most are so brainwashed about how wonderful vaccines are. I agree vaccines save alot of lives, but lets be sensible, why so many at once?

Old 12-09-2008, 01:49 PM

1,662 posts, read 4,503,629 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yayforbaby View Post
I havent used this site before, but i thought i'd give it a shot to see if anybody in the KC area knew of a pediatrician nearby who is open-minded about alternative vaccine schedules. ?? We seem to have different views than our current pediatrician and would very much like to see who else is out there. Thanks!
What area are you in? I am very particular about doctors in general. I won't stay with a doctor who won't listen to me and respect what I know about my own body and especially about my kids.

We see Dr. Sherry Martin at Shawnee Mission Pediatrics 913-362-1660. I like her as well as the other docs in her practice.

With respect to vaccines, she makes her recommendations, but I have never felt pressured one way or the other. If I had concerns, I have no doubt she would listen to me and we would talk about them.

Old 12-21-2008, 06:27 PM

592 posts, read 2,135,075 times
I would imagine most would follow the recommended schedule put out by their association.

http://www.cispimmunize.org/IZSchedule_Childhood.pdf (broken link)

As for why they are done when they are:

Quote:
It is so important to immunize your child on time, every time. Vaccines have saved millions of lives over the years and prevented hundreds of millions of cases of diseases. Because diseases still exist in this country and can be imported from foreign countries, unimmunized people are at great risk of getting sick. Babies are most vulnerable to diseases because their immune systems are not yet fully developed. Therefore babies begin to receive vaccines at the earliest opportunity so that they will not become ill, or worse, die from vaccine-preventable diseases.

Old 12-22-2008, 07:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjb62676 View Post
I would imagine most would follow the recommended schedule put out by their association.

http://www.cispimmunize.org/IZSchedule_Childhood.pdf (broken link)

As for why they are done when they are:
True, most make their recommendations. But some are more militant about it than others. I don't care for that.

Some kids respond differently to vaccines, some kids have allergies or other health issues that can be aggravated by vaccines. Sometimes it's best to wait a bit and stagger them further apart as opposed to bombarding them with 3 or 4 shots at once. If I have concerns, I want a doctor who will listen to them and then talk to me about them respectfully.

I want this respect regarding all aspects of my childrens' health and it's surprising that some docs won't do that. But I know my kids better than anyone. I know when something isn't right.

I've had the best relationships with doctors who were younger, closer to my own age, and who are moms themselves. I've had the most problems with older male doctors who take the attitude, "I'm the doctor, so I know best."

Some people really like and respond well to the latter kind. It's comforting sometimes to believe "do exactly as I say and everything will be fine." Or maybe they think if he has that much confidence, he must be good! But doctors don't know everything, sometimes they make mistakes. Sometimes they rely on information that turns out to be incorrect. It's an imperfect world we live in. I know that, and I want a doctor who will work with me to keep my kids healthy.

Old 12-22-2008, 02:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samantha S View Post
True, most make their recommendations. But some are more militant about it than others. I don't care for that.

Some kids respond differently to vaccines, some kids have allergies or other health issues that can be aggravated by vaccines. Sometimes it's best to wait a bit and stagger them further apart as opposed to bombarding them with 3 or 4 shots at once. If I have concerns, I want a doctor who will listen to them and then talk to me about them respectfully.

I want this respect regarding all aspects of my childrens' health and it's surprising that some docs won't do that. But I know my kids better than anyone. I know when something isn't right.

I've had the best relationships with doctors who were younger, closer to my own age, and who are moms themselves. I've had the most problems with older male doctors who take the attitude, "I'm the doctor, so I know best."

Some people really like and respond well to the latter kind. It's comforting sometimes to believe "do exactly as I say and everything will be fine." Or maybe they think if he has that much confidence, he must be good! But doctors don't know everything, sometimes they make mistakes. Sometimes they rely on information that turns out to be incorrect. It's an imperfect world we live in. I know that, and I want a doctor who will work with me to keep my kids healthy.

In my opinion, any good doc will listen to your concerns and advise you the best way they know possible, and that's how my classmates and I are being trained. I also agree with you that there are some docs out there that think they can do no wrong. The thing is, no one is perfect. It's very difficult in today's society for a doc to stray too far from the "standard of care" without putting themselves at risk. This may be why you are having some difficulty. I'm sure you'll find a doc that can help you out.

Old 12-22-2008, 05:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjb62676 View Post
In my opinion, any good doc will listen to your concerns and advise you the best way they know possible, and that's how my classmates and I are being trained. I also agree with you that there are some docs out there that think they can do no wrong. The thing is, no one is perfect. It's very difficult in today's society for a doc to stray too far from the "standard of care" without putting themselves at risk. This may be why you are having some difficulty. I'm sure you'll find a doc that can help you out.
I agree. It's sad that we live in a time and place where doctors have to have "don't get sued" as such a priority.

I don't have difficulty though (although maybe you were directing those last lines to the original poster) I just have a short list of docs who I won't see. Fortunately, I like our current ped and have had no problems with any of the other docs in her practice (although we usually get to see her.)

Best of luck to you in your medical studies!

Old 12-23-2008, 08:35 PM

13,721 posts, read 19,258,895 times
My kids were patients at Johnson County Pediatrics. I had seen something on 20/20 about vaccinations (this was 20-some years ago) and talked to my pediatrician about it before my daughter received her vaccinations. She (the pediatrician) said that she thought that 20/20 running that story did a disservice; that actually vaccinations are very safe and it's important for kids to have them. I don't remember exactly what she said, but I went ahead and had my kids vaccinated but I did feel like she listened to my concerns and with autism, etc. being possibly attributed to vaccinations now I would definitely be concerned and would want the doctor to reassure me if nothing else. A few years ago they wanted to vaccinate my kids for hepatitis B. I didn't really want to do that, but pediatrician explained that there are so many immigrants working in our area who are working in restaurants, and they recommend hep B vaccination for that reason, so kids don't get hep B from eating food prepared by an infected worker. Blech.

Old 12-30-2008, 10:18 AM

2,652 posts, read 8,582,247 times
I agree totally. We chose not to vaccinate our daughter, due to my knowledge of them.

From our experience, it seems Indian doctors are the most open to alternative ways of parenting. When we lived in California, we thought we would get chastised, but we didn't. What we found were the doctors we went to (all from India) were very open to it. They asked us on our first visit about them, we told them we didn't get them, and that was the end of it.

When we moved to Washington, we found the doctors less forgiving. The doctors here keep bugging us about it, even though they know our beliefs.

In my opinion, doctors should listen to the parents a little more. They aren't going to change a persons beliefs, regardless of their education.

Old 01-06-2009, 06:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luke9686 View Post
I agree totally. We chose not to vaccinate our daughter, due to my knowledge of them.

From our experience, it seems Indian doctors are the most open to alternative ways of parenting. When we lived in California, we thought we would get chastised, but we didn't. What we found were the doctors we went to (all from India) were very open to it. They asked us on our first visit about them, we told them we didn't get them, and that was the end of it.

When we moved to Washington, we found the doctors less forgiving. The doctors here keep bugging us about it, even though they know our beliefs.

In my opinion, doctors should listen to the parents a little more. They aren't going to change a persons beliefs, regardless of their education.

They are probably merely explaining to you the benefits of vaccines so that they can then hear you refuse them. This way, they can document that they offered you the service and you refused.

This covers the physician in case you were to ever come back and try to say the doc was negligent in not vaccinating your child.

All they are doing is advising you to the best of their knowledge based on evidence. They cannot make you do anything you don't want to in most circumstances.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Kansas City