U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Kansas City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 12-10-2008, 07:14 PM
 
Location: Tampa, FL
7 posts, read 28,876 times
Reputation: 11

Advertisements

I have recently been made an offer to relocate to Kansas City. My work is very close to the KCI airport. I am married with 2 small children (5 and 2). A community that is family oriented, safe and good schools are of the utmost importance. We spent the weekend there and some of the areas we like are: Overland Park (long drive - almost 38 miles and traffic), Western Shawnee (still 30 miles), and Parkville. A few people at work mentioned living in Liberty, but we did not get to check it out. Any input would be greatly appreciated. We have found it hard to get an objective opinion as people from KS are so pro KS and same for the MO people. We just need help in making the right decision for our family. Thanks to anyone for their input.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 12-10-2008, 07:35 PM
 
1,662 posts, read 2,821,771 times
Reputation: 511
Quote:
Originally Posted by erock7100 View Post
I have recently been made an offer to relocate to Kansas City. My work is very close to the KCI airport. I am married with 2 small children (5 and 2). A community that is family oriented, safe and good schools are of the utmost importance. We spent the weekend there and some of the areas we like are: Overland Park (long drive - almost 38 miles and traffic), Western Shawnee (still 30 miles), and Parkville. A few people at work mentioned living in Liberty, but we did not get to check it out. Any input would be greatly appreciated. We have found it hard to get an objective opinion as people from KS are so pro KS and same for the MO people. We just need help in making the right decision for our family. Thanks to anyone for their input.
Definitely check out some of the newer areas of Liberty (or some of the older historic homes) -- Liberty would be my first recommendation if you choose the MO side (both community and school-wise.) Parkville is also nice. Gladstone area is also nice.

On the KS side, Western Shawnee may be a good option although it will add to your commute. I live West of 435 near K7 and I can get to the airport in about 25-30 minutes.

I'm generally pro-KS side -- but I know a lot of people who live on the MO side and they are very happy with their communities and schools. The KS side tends to view the MO side as -- well, more redneck -- and the MO side tends to view the KS side (Johnson County) as more snobby. Both are stereotypes for a reason. ;-)

If you are unsure, I would recommend some short-term housing until you are comfortable with the area.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-10-2008, 08:09 PM
 
Location: Kansas City, Missouri
216 posts, read 401,095 times
Reputation: 107
The Liberty & Gladstone areas are great. Platte City is only a couple of miles from the airport and it's a nice, growing community.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-10-2008, 09:02 PM
Status: "More snow please" (set 14 days ago)
 
Location: Madison, WI Metro Area
15,412 posts, read 21,514,787 times
Reputation: 7806
Quote:
Originally Posted by erock7100 View Post
I have recently been made an offer to relocate to Kansas City. My work is very close to the KCI airport. I am married with 2 small children (5 and 2). A community that is family oriented, safe and good schools are of the utmost importance. We spent the weekend there and some of the areas we like are: Overland Park (long drive - almost 38 miles and traffic), Western Shawnee (still 30 miles), and Parkville. A few people at work mentioned living in Liberty, but we did not get to check it out. Any input would be greatly appreciated. We have found it hard to get an objective opinion as people from KS are so pro KS and same for the MO people. We just need help in making the right decision for our family. Thanks to anyone for their input.
Yes, keep the Parkville and Liberty areas on your list for sure. I do not care for much of the newer housing stock in Platte City or Smithville. Some people like living in a cookie cutter house out on a field, but that really is not appealing to many. In terms of JOCO- the whole county has a huge variety of housing stock and price ranges. You could find an older 3/2 in Shawnee or Lenexa for a very affordable price that is not too far from the Interstates. However, I would also look at KC, MO houses both in Platte and Clay counties for better housing values for your average sq ft property.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-10-2008, 10:29 PM
 
Location: Washington, DC area
7,843 posts, read 9,697,152 times
Reputation: 3275
OK, I have got to ask.

WHY?

If you are working near KCI, why would you live in Overland Park or even Shawnee?

If you were working near Corporate Woods or Renner Blvd or Olathe sure, but KCI?

What on earth are people thinking. Why Why Why????? I have got to know why!

Are people pushing you down there? Are people telling you that's the only place to live???

That is just crazy. Why would you move 30-40 or more miles away from where you work? Especially when that 40 miles could be congested the entire way?

Next time you are in KC, call me. PM me.

I will show you are the Northland and you will wonder why in the world you ever drove south of 64th Street.

There are so many nice, new, family oriented areas in the Northland, far more than “Parkville” and “Liberty” which seems to be about the only areas people can recommend.

Those are great areas, but most of the population, most of the growth, most of the newer middle and upper class family neighborhood are not in Liberty or Parkville, but in areas of KC,North between Liberty and Parkville.

Next time in KC, take 29 south to 152 and go east and then get off on every exit as you go east and go north or south and drive the entire corridor. It will take you a good weekend.

Drive down Ambassador, Green Hills, Platte Purchase Drive, North Oak (north of 152), Waukomis, Maple Woods Parkway, Indiana, Brighton, Shoal Creek Parkway, and Flintlock.

All of those areas are the exact same thing you will find clear down in Overland Park or Shawnee. New streets, new homes, new fountains, great schools, new retail, new office parks, parkways, bike trails etc. Homes from 175- well over a million dollars. This area of KCMO grows faster than any other area of metro KC. 3 times as fast as Olathe.

Or move 40 miles away for reasons I can not fathom…
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-10-2008, 10:58 PM
 
Location: Washington, DC area
7,843 posts, read 9,697,152 times
Reputation: 3275
Quote:
Originally Posted by Samantha S View Post
I'm generally pro-KS side -- but I know a lot of people who live on the MO side and they are very happy with their communities and schools. The KS side tends to view the MO side as -- well, more redneck -- and the MO side tends to view the KS side (Johnson County) as more snobby. Both are stereotypes for a reason. ;-)
That is just not true.

I think Olathe is pretty redneck. KCK is about as hick and redneck as you can get.

Lenexa and OP are pretty white collar areas. Shawnee can be pretty redneck, especially out west.

The Northland is similar.

Liberty is a nice area, but it's pretty redneck if you ask me. Clay County in general is more redneck than Platte County. Think of the I-35 corridor as more blue collar, I-29 more white collar.

Eastern Jackson County can be pretty blue collar and redneck, but that doesn't mean they are not nice areas.

We are talking about the suburbs of a midwestern city here, not really any differnent that suburban St Louis, Indianpolis etc. Most suburbs of KC have some "redneck" feel to them. Even in Overland Park most people might not drive pickups, but they still follow nascar, go hunting, are freaked out by the "city" etc. They just hide it better because they drive suvs and hide the 4 wheelers in the 3 car garage.

My basic rule of thumb is this.

Where is the "city"?

It's in KCMO. From Briarcliff all the way to Waldo. That's where the condos are, the attractions, the museums, the entertainment districts etc.

That's where very few rednecks live. So, I would say the MO side is far less redneck and a bit more sophisticated in general than the KS side is. While the suburbs are about half and half on both side of the state line.

There are some areas of KC where the redneck thing goes over the top like northern Indepedence, Belton and KCK. Olathe and Liberty are not far behind.

But I'm a city kid. A lot of people like suburbs that have a more country feel to them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-11-2008, 10:03 AM
 
Location: Tampa, FL
7 posts, read 28,876 times
Reputation: 11
Default More information...

Thank you to everyone for their responses. We only looked at the Overland Park area becasue it was rated as one of the best places to raise a family on a number of different, reputable websites. We also kept coming across Johnson County as a great school district. We would greatly prefer to live closer to work if possible. As long as it is safe and good schools that is the top priority. Beyong that we loves a neighborhood called "Thousand Oaks" in the Parkville area. Although coming from Fl neither my husband or I have driven in the snow or ice and this was an area with a lot of hills. We welcome all advise and suggestions. We are white collar workers and Christians, but that doesn't mean everyone around us has to be like us It is a big decision to move away from all of our family and support. Any input on how you like the area and raising a family is greatly appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-11-2008, 10:33 AM
 
1,662 posts, read 2,821,771 times
Reputation: 511
Quote:
Originally Posted by kcmo View Post
That is just not true.

I think Olathe is pretty redneck. KCK is about as hick and redneck as you can get.
I agree with that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kcmo View Post
Lenexa and OP are pretty white collar areas. Shawnee can be pretty redneck, especially out west.
Don't disagree with that either. And I live in the west part of Shawnee.


Quote:
Originally Posted by kcmo View Post
My basic rule of thumb is this.

Where is the "city"?

It's in KCMO. From Briarcliff all the way to Waldo. That's where the condos are, the attractions, the museums, the entertainment districts etc.

That's where very few rednecks live. So, I would say the MO side is far less redneck and a bit more sophisticated in general than the KS side is. While the suburbs are about half and half on both side of the state line.
I'm sure nice suburbs can be found on the MO side. I suggested a few -- you suggested a few more.

I prefer JoCo -- but to the original poster: You can see how territorial the debates can be!

That's why I would suggest something temporary before buying a house -- to make sure you feel comfortable where you are.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-11-2008, 10:37 AM
 
1,662 posts, read 2,821,771 times
Reputation: 511
Quote:
Originally Posted by erock7100 View Post
Thank you to everyone for their responses. We only looked at the Overland Park area becasue it was rated as one of the best places to raise a family on a number of different, reputable websites. We also kept coming across Johnson County as a great school district. We would greatly prefer to live closer to work if possible. As long as it is safe and good schools that is the top priority. Beyong that we loves a neighborhood called "Thousand Oaks" in the Parkville area. Although coming from Fl neither my husband or I have driven in the snow or ice and this was an area with a lot of hills. We welcome all advise and suggestions. We are white collar workers and Christians, but that doesn't mean everyone around us has to be like us It is a big decision to move away from all of our family and support. Any input on how you like the area and raising a family is greatly appreciated.

Shawnee Mission, Blue Valley, Desoto and Olathe Schools are the best in the region (My opinion, but stats back that up as well.) MO schools in the Northern suburbs may be just fine as well -- but given the choice, I'd still choose the KS side, even if it added a little to my commute. That's just me.

Incidentally, I live in Western Shawnee and sometimes go to Liberty during rush hours -- yes, it's a drive - but it's not congested along 435 or 152 highway.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-11-2008, 10:57 AM
Status: "More snow please" (set 14 days ago)
 
Location: Madison, WI Metro Area
15,412 posts, read 21,514,787 times
Reputation: 7806
Quote:
Originally Posted by kcmo View Post
OK, I have got to ask.


All of those areas are the exact same thing you will find clear down in Overland Park or Shawnee. New streets, new homes, new fountains, great schools, new retail, new office parks, parkways, bike trails etc. Homes from 175- well over a million dollars. This area of KCMO grows faster than any other area of metro KC. 3 times as fast as Olathe.

Platte and Clay counties have grown by nearly IDENTICAL rates since the year 2000. Both counties have seen a 12.5% rise in population according to the Census Bureau. Johnson County KS has seen a 14.5% rise in population during that same time period. All three counties also have some rural areas within their county borders. In terms of economic growth all three have seen pretty anemic trends with less than 5% non-farm gains since the year 2000 while the population has grown 2.5 times as fast. Therefore, persons living below poverty in those three counties have also increased since 2000.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Kansas City
Similar Threads

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 07:45 PM.

2005-2014, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25 - Top