Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Kansas City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-04-2007, 11:30 AM

4 posts, read 14,873 times

Advertisements

I'm relocating to the Lenexa area and have seen some townhomes in Olathe that are pretty affordable. Just wondering how is the area?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-04-2007, 01:34 PM

75 posts, read 108,608 times
Big surburan, clean cut living - safe, great access to shopping, both major stores, bigger malls - tons of restaurants - big chains, independent places, too. If you aren't dealing with a commute in the KCMO downtown, you can probably find a route to skip highway rush hour damage - 435 and I-35 are busy and do get backed up during rush hour.

It takes around 15 minutes or less to head into KC areas for nightlife (Westport, the Plaza) from Lenexa/Olathe.

Condos are nice, but don't overlook a house. Housing is really affordable here, and you get a lot of bang for your buck. I'm no realtor, but if you go to realtor.com and run olathe and your money parameters, you should be pleasantly surprised.

$300,000 will put you in a 2500 sq. ft. 4br newer home (2006) with all amenities in a great neighborhood.

$200,000 will put you in a 2200 sq. ft. 3 br newer home (2005) with great amenities and a great neighborhood.

For condos you can get into newer construction (2005) 3 bdr. for $150,000 all day long in many areas. You can get crazy nice amenities for under $300,000. And we do have the million dollar condos as well.

It's hard to go wrong with real estate in Johnson County. It's a very money area, but unpretentious and thoroughly midwestern.

Old 03-04-2007, 02:59 PM

Default Thanks

Thanks for the info. I'm single and do not want the hassle of a yard plus with the new construction, hoa dues should be low. I don't expect to be there more than two years.

Old 03-04-2007, 03:20 PM

You'll still be fine. A lot of single professionals in townhomes, condos and lofts in the area. When I was single I lived in the area and it was great. Everything you need is there - you can have an upscale or laid back lifestyle with ease. You won't have trouble finding a suitable place and your work & home lifestyle should be comfortable.

The city is growing southward in leaps and bounds. When I lived out at 123rd, a few stops outside the loop, it was sort of the end of the big development areas. Then you hit pockets of land before you ran into those outpost new construction communities - you know the ones they build as sort of far reaching, isolated satellites with the expectation the city will keep sprawling to them? Well it sprawled. Out at 155th and beyond is now bustling.

The only thing I recommend is that if you are single and you like to get out at night, you may want to avoid moving too far out past 435 because you'll increase your commute to go see and do things around KC.

Depending on where you work anyway.

Wow - I'm all full of advice today. I hope it is useful

Old 03-04-2007, 09:24 PM

Default thanks

I'll let you know how my house hunting trip goes. Thanks for the feedback.

Old 03-08-2007, 10:20 AM

359 posts, read 1,838,035 times
Olathe is a wee bit more than 15 minutes to Westport or the Plaza. I'd say more like 25-30. And if is remotely close to rush hour, or Friday, then it is even longer. Olathe is quite nice, with a good mix of housing ranges and amenities. But I think Overland Park and Lenexa have more charm and more mom/pop or local type places. Lenexa real estate tax is very high though. OP is much less expenxive. Whatever you decide, this is a great area to live in with lots to do.

Old 03-09-2007, 01:57 PM

12,282 posts, read 13,232,358 times
Check out the Kansas Forum.

Old 03-18-2007, 10:12 AM

Well, I found a townhome in Olathe last week and the area seems nice. It's alot different from Seattle but I will do just fine there. Thanks for the advice.

Old 03-19-2007, 12:51 PM

Welcome to the Midwest, Theeman. I hope you enjoy it while you are here. If you need any tips on where to get a great steak or whatnot- just post!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Kansas City